Mauritius records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mauritius records

I'm trying to find records of deaths in Mahebourg, Mauritius, 1819. My gggrandfather was in the English army, stationed there and died Dec 1819. I think he may have fallen victim to the cholera epidemic at the time. If anyone can advise where I might go to find any relevant records - preferably by email/internet (I live in NZ and a long way from anywhere) - I would be most appreciative.
    MargF.

Margf,

Welcome to FTF

Provided you know his regiment you should be able to find his records at TNA Kew. The web site below will give you some idea as to how to go about accessing his records. You can download leaflets on how to research your army ancestors, some of which are online, but few of these earlier soldiers are online at present

The National Archives

The bad news for you is that you will either probably have to visit to do the research yourself or get someone else to do the work for you which will not be cheap. If you live near London then this will not be a problem but if you live a distance from London then it will be more of a problem for you.

Just seen that you live in NZ!! Rather a long way so getting somebody to research is going to be your answer. TNA will research and you can e mail them to find out cost, or there is another army researcher who does work for others on here but I do not know his name so maybe someone else can help you with that.

Janet
    Last edited by Janet; 05-03-09, 10:24.

Comment

A member of this site goes to Kew -

In fact, she went last weekend to find out about my great-great-uncle John McCusker who was in the 88th Connaught Rangers. I am happily looking at the records that she found for me. Though I do wish that he had lived longer, poor uncle.

He died in 1879 in Port Louis, Mauritius. I have searched the internet for a site about cemeteries, and do realise that records may not exist; however, I have, this morning, sent an email to the British Embassy to ask if any records do exist. If you don't ask, as the saying goes.
      Joy

Comment

here's some info from a friend, im also looking for mauritius records and have yet to try these links, there's so little time!!

Hello,

If you would like to obtain birth/marriage and death certificates and you do NOT know the exact date of birth/death/ marriage, then try contacting the National Archives of Mauritius, who will not only search out documents relating to the names given, but also the index number of births/marriages and certificates that they come across. The more concise the information you provide, the better results you will get. Bear in mind that your request for information may seem to remain in abeyance that is until you receive an email nine months later requesting payment for the search (which is a negligeble fee). The email address for the National Archives is: arc@mail.gov. mu

What you will then have to do is use these index numbers and forward them onto the Civil Status Division who will, given ample time, get back to you (but this time a bit quicker, say 6 months!) with certificates that they have been able to obtain. This can be useful for your search, but it can be costly and take some time. Their email address is: civstat@mail. gov.mu

hope it helps.

Comment

Working...
        X