Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Anyone Recognise The Uniform, etc???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's an enlargement

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

I can't identify the uniform, but it seems very similar to this one. I've cropped the picture in order to zoom in on the cap badge:

Here's the full picture:

Last edited by Cloggie; 12-03-09, 14:13.
      Sarah

Comment

Hi Sarah
        I'm looking at a cap badge chart sent to me by Len

Your chap's badge is quite similar to the Coldstream Guards'
        ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Rachel
          Now if only I knew who my chap was!
          Sarah

Comment

Hmmmm well having googled Colstream Guards + cap badges I'm thoroughly confused.
            There seem to be slightly different versions ... here's one

2008/73/25 Military badge, headdress badge, The Coldstream Guards, British Army, gilt brass / copper alloy, maker unknown, Great Britain, c. 1914 - Powerhouse Museum Collection

Comment

Are you sure it's not army sevice corps? (no.1 in picture)

The coldstream guards badge is pointed at top too, where as the one in the soldiers photo looks more like a crown at top like the ASC badge.

Still no idea with Sophie's photo, it's just too unclear to tell. Doesn't seem to be a crown on top of hers, so rules out R.E. Shape could match York and Lancs Regiment? Wild guess though.

Comment

Sophie,

Thanks to Rachel for the photo enlargement, looking at it now, I agree with Richard that it doesn't appear that there 's a crown at the top which narrows down the possibilities as it would rule out the Army Service Corps, Royal Engineers, Roayal Army Ordnance Corps and most of the Mounted Guards Regiments.

If it's a mounted Regiment I would go for the "Royal Dragoon Guards" however, if he's part of the Divisional Ammunition Column, the two Infantry Regiments that look to be the closest are the "Bedfordshire Regiment" or the "Cheshire Regiment".

David

Comment

Ahh ive found the original photo but it doesnt help much as i still cant see the badge.....ill try 2 upload it now

Comment

Comment

The photo frame! wow.... I think he is part of the ammunition column, of the Cheshire regiment.
                      Last edited by Just Barbara; 05-05-09, 10:34.

Comment

yeh i know, i was told that the orginal had a big photo frame, when a relative showed me it i thought wow.......he looks more chubby round the face, haha.... my great grandmother had it hanging up on her wall and it was a huge photo ive been told, and by the looks of it....she said it was her grandfather, which one im not sure.......i know one of her grandfathers was born 1868....so the other one is likely to be around the same age.....and if this was in ww1 he would have been older.....well why do u think cheshhire regiment?......i have doubts as he was from wales but im not sure.........

Comment

cheshire regiment?

Comment

I was looking at the badge....

Comment

Just wanted to add it doesn't really matter where the soldier was from, you were free to join a regiment from anywhere in the country, you didn't have to join your 'local' regiment, and each county recruited outside its own borders too, some quite far away. Add to that as the war dragged on and some regiments incurred heavier losses than others, soldiers and recruits were transfered and posted all over the place, i.e where most needed, numbers and troop strength being the only consideration.

Comment

Isn't Cheshire close to North Wales?
                                Jeanette
                                Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

ahh ok, well loks like ive got alot of research to do then :D, thanks evryone for your input x

Comment

londonlass have you tried posting it up on the 1914-1918 long long trail forum? They are experts in the era, and far more likely to identify his badge then most of us here, don't give up until you've tried them.

Comment

I agree with Richard, the Great War Forum is FULL of experts...

Comment

Working...
                                      X