Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Digging up dead bodies", as OH calls it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Digging up dead bodies", as OH calls it...

Just to let you know...

A highlight of my holiday was the successful dis-covery of the memorial for my Errant Grandfather:

but only after this (which appears to vindicate OH's description ;) )

(The lady in view is my friend who has been helping me in Florida - including finding the obit!)

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Hi Christine

I found one a few months back in a local cemetery for one of my rellies, but as we peeled the grass back the top layer of the cross was cracking and I was hesitant to peel it back anymore. The cross had fallen and broken in half at one point but I never got to find the base or what inscription was on it. I was hesitant of it cracking more. Wish mine had been in such good condition! Left me half wondering if I should have left it alone but at least it has been found and someone has been able to pay their regards at the graveside after more than 150years. I was helped to find it with staff from the cemetery during their heritage weekend in Sept'08. I've got more I want to find there but I've not yet had the time. At least I did not have to travel so far as you to find it!

Well done!

Comment

Lucky you!
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I was going to say you do go to extremes but I understand after seeing the photos.

OHs 2g grandfather's stone had fallen over and a lot of debris had settled on top. Luckily it didn't take much to clean it off and the stone was still readable, with a wealth of information. It was a fantastic find, but sad that it had fallen into disrepair like that.
        Kit

Comment

Redacted
          Last edited by Penelope; 05-03-09, 10:24.

Comment

Working...
          X