Ancestry birth index

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry birth index

Im sure this has been discussed and as usual Ive missed it but on ancestry there doesnt seem to be the facility to search the index any more? It has freebmd supposedly 1837-1916 but no way of checking on the complete index?

Hi Heather,
    Yes, I would be interested too, thanks for bringing it up.
    Does anyone know the answer?
    many thanks.
    herky
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

It is still there Heather, but you need to select the year, then the quarter, then the first letter of the surname and then find the right page! Takes ages!

Go to:
      England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index, 1837-1915
      England & Wales, Birth Index: 1916-2005
      - and then scroll down the page to find the years listed.
      Elaine

Comment

If I think something is missing from the 1916-2005 transcribed births I just do a search on the surname for the years I need and view the pages from there.

Comment

If you go to their FreeBMD births search screen and scroll down, you can browse by year, then quarter, then first letter of surname.
          Or search for a name near to the one you are looking for and then look through the pages.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Many thanks to all - I will have a look and see.
            herky
            herky
            Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
              If you go to their FreeBMD births search screen and scroll down, you can browse by year, then quarter, then first letter of surname.
              That way takes a lot longer though

Comment

Yes - it is a bit of a long route. I preferred the old way. But at least I can search!
                herky
                herky

Comment

I don't find viewing the pages from their 1916-2005 section any slower than the old way if I search the surname and year first??

Comment

I think less-experienced researchers used to have quite a problem with searching the ancestry indexes because the indexing of "first and last names on the page" wasn't very accurate, for instance if there was a handwritten addition at the bottom it would be indexed as the last name on the page, so quite often if you searched for a name it would say there were no matches for a particular quarter. Of course us more experienced researchers know how to get round that one, but browsing by year, quarter, first letter of surname is at least less likely to cause headaches for newbies.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Oh brilliant, hadnt seen the years lurking down there. Wouldnt you think they would give some direction about it.

Why is ancestry and index highlighted in red? Is it to link to something that I have also missed out on?

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
                        Why is ancestry and index highlighted in red? Is it to link to something that I have also missed out on?
                        Were you searching the forum or the thread for those words, Heather?
                        KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
                          Oh brilliant, hadnt seen the years lurking down there.
                          It does take an awful lot longer if you do it that way, because you have to try different page numbers until you get the right part of the initial letter. If you enter the surname right at the start and select a particular year, unless it's a rare surname you will usually get an entry for each quarter and you can go straight to the correct page.

Comment

Working...
                          X