Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Tippin Questions

Hi All,

I have two questions, well one question, and one request!

Is Harry Henry's son
    I would like to know what people think about my Great Grandfather's elder brother Harry (or William Henry), although the real answer will never be found.

He was born in April 1871, at Bewdley, Worcestershire. I have his birth ceritificate, and he was born William Henry Tatham, the son of Rosanna Tatham. Rosanna married Henry Tippin (or Tippins) in September 1871, at Birmingham, Warwickshire.

I have always believed that Harry was the son of Henry, and that his parents married after he was born. But, then I got in contact with some relatives in Canada, where Harry died. Harry's youngest son was Wilfred Tatham Tippin. Well this started to make me think.....

Then, the other week I got a copy of Rhoda Tippin's (Henry's sister) will. She died a spinster, and so leaves all her money to her nephew's and nieces'. The list she drew out shows that she left sums ranging between £100-£300 pounds to each one, and even left money to my Great Grandmother, as my Great Grandfather had pre-deceased Rhoda. But she only leaves Harry £50. She also makes a big thing about her niece Jane living in Canada, but fails to mention anything about Harry, even though he is above Jane in the list.

The will was drawn up in 1933, and in 1934 Harry died. Rhoda decided to withdraw the £50, and did not leave it to Harry's widow, like she did with my great grandfather.

One last note as well, my great grandfather was called William Tippin. At first I thought it was strange to name two children William. I know it happens, and as Harry was, well, known as Harry, I have never given it much thought. But you never know, it may be a little bit more evidence.

What happened to Jane

My second question is in relation to Jane Tippin, the daughter of William & Alice, and sister of Henry & Rhoda above. She was born in 1840, at Pembridge, Herefordshire. I have found her on the 1841 & 1851 census' at Eye (I would put down the info, but am currently at work - its a slow day today!).

But that is where the trail ends. I can not find her on any other census. There is a death in 1860 at Cleo. Mortimer (The family moved to Rock, Worcestershire sometime before 1861), but I have got the certifcate, and it is not my Jane!

So, I was wondering if any one would be able to aid me in finding Jane. I have hit a brick wall on this one!

Thanks for any help,
    Tippin
    Families Intrested in
    Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

It could be that Harry was Henry's son but Rhoda just disapproved of him being born illegitimate? Some people did think like that. It's a shame she didn't say "natural son of my brother Henry" or "stepson of my brother Henry" in the will though! Not sure what the significance of Harry's son being called Wilfred Tatham Tippin could be?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

There is a Jane Tippins death Dec 1860 Weobly district, is that one possible? The Cleobury Mortimer one looks like Mar 1861 or have I missed one?
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Kiterunner,

Thanks for the help

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
        It could be that Harry was Henry's son but Rhoda just disapproved of him being born illegitimate?
        I quess it could be a reason why Rhoda was going to leave him little. I quess there is always more than one way of looking at a fact!

Not sure what the significance of Harry's son being called Wilfred Tatham Tippin could be?
        In my tree, when a surname is used as a middle name, it means that they are named after a relative, i.e. Jonathan Clee Bromley, was named after his grandfather Jonathan Clee. But with this one, there is no Wilfred Tatham in my tree.

Could it be that Harry knows that he is not a Tippin, and decided to give Wilfred his mother's surname? - Perhaps a question that only Harry can answer.

There is a Jane Tippins death Dec 1860 Weobly district
        Every chance. I was hoping that some one may be able to find her on a later census, but I quess she could have died anywhere! I think Weobly is in Herefordshire, so it a good gamble. Will just cost me £7 to find out though.

The Cleobury Mortimer one looks like Mar 1861 or have I missed one
        Sorry, my mistake. I was so certain that she was the right one, I just rushed in. Never mind, better look next time!
        Families Intrested in
        Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Comment

Working...
        X