help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help needed

Hello, I am new to this sort of forum and was wondering if any of you knowlegable people could help me with a problem I am having.

I am trying to find a Herman Zunnerveld or Zunnerfield he was Dutch and was here as a Diver attached to the Army (I think) he was in London in 1944. Any suggestions on where I should start looking.

Many thanks Chicks

Chicks, could you please confirm that he is no longer living? Our site rules don't allow the posting of personal details of living people without their consent.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

The most likely Dutch surname that springs to mind is Zunneveld or Zonneveld, without the "r". Are you sure about the "r" in the name?

There are quite a lot of Dutch links in our Wiki: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...he_Netherlands
      Where to look depends on what part of the Netherlands he was from. Do you have any idea?

Dutch birth records become public after 100 years; marriage records after 75 years; and death records after 50 years.
      Last edited by Cloggie; 02-03-09, 11:45.
      Sarah

Comment

Thank you Kite runner and Sarah for your answers. We were told that he had died but have no dates. I am not sure of the spelling as all the info I have is very vague. I haven't even got a date of birth.

Chicks

Comment

Any idea of when (roughly) he might have been born?
          Sarah

Comment

Approx 1908 Sarah

Comment

The only one that comes up on Genlias - Research your Dutch genealogy is:
              Source Civil register - Birth
              Archive location Gemeentearchief Wassenaar
              General Municipality: Wassenaar
              Type of record: Geboorteakte
              Record number: 90
              Registration date: 12-10-1900
              Child Hermanus Jacobus Zonneveld
              Date of birth: 11-10-1900
              Father Theodorus Zonneveld
              Mother Maria Aleida van Dijk

But Genlias doesn't cover all of the Netherlands, and most archives don't have records for 1908 online yet. Without any additional information it wouldn't really be possible to know if you have the right one or not anyway.
              Sarah

Comment

Could be the start Sarah thanks.The only real link I have is that he was over here doing mine clearing work as a diver during WW2.Is there anyway I could find out from the Dutch authoritirs or someone about the people who were stationed here during that time.

Chicks

Comment

Hi Chicks,

I've done some searching and think I've found some information that may help:

The contact page of the Netherlands Royal Navy says to address any questions concerning Navy history to the Netherlands Institute for Military History (NIMH) at this address: nimh@mindef.nl

Looking at the NIMH site, they appear to hold records of Dutch Navy personnel and vessels involved in World War II. The website also has a section on military genealogy, including an index of navy personnel files: http://www.nimh.nl/nl/images/Persdos.ALF_tcm5-394.pdf
                  Here are some possibilities from that list:
                  Sonneveldt W.E, born 21.10.1904
                  Sonneville H.A., born 26.07.1908
                  Zonneveld C.H, born 20.08.1903
                  Zonneveld J., born 20.11.1907
                  Zonneveld J.J, born 08.06.1904
                  Maybe H.A. Sonneville or C.H. Zonneveld is your man?
                  I definitely think it's worth contacting the NIMH to see if they can provide more information.

For personnel files of Dutch Navy personnel born after 1908, it says to write to:
                  Ministerie van Defensie
                  Bureau Registratie en Informatie Ontslagen Personeel
                  Postbus 7000,
                  6460 NC Kerkrade
                  The Netherlands

If you think there might be any connection to the Dutch Merchant Navy during WWII, the person to contact is Mr H. Meurs, whose site can be found here: Koopvaardij
                  Sarah

Comment

Oh Sarah I do not know how to thank you for all of your help. I am hoping it will lead me to my man. I will let you know what happens.

Thank you once again

Chicks

Comment

You're welcome. I'm glad I could help.
                      Keep me updated!
                      Sarah

Comment

Working...
                      X