Confusing Siddles (again!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confusing Siddles (again!)

I have found what I believe to be my GGGrandfather, James Siddle in 1911. He's down as Siddall, but it is spelt like that in a couple of others.

Background: He married my GGGrandmother in 1881 (after the census ) and they had 2 children. She then went to live with another man and had a further 7 children with that man. In 1911, she is living alone with the kids and is listed as being married for 29 years, which is right for the marriage with James.

I have found the man she was living with in an institution (not sure which as I only saw the transcript) in 1911.

James (aged 63) is living with a woman (Mariah aged 58) in 1911 and they are listed as man and wife, married for 26 years. His occupation (Dyers Labouer) and POB (Wakefield) all fit my guy.

First question - why would they lie about how long they had been married (I can't find one at all) and if this is not my man, why can't I find a marriage?

Second question - how can I find out who this Mariah is? She was born in Mirfield according to the census. (Small add - she is with him in 1891 in a Lodging House. James is in Prison in 1901 - probably for bigamy lol)

There are no children listed for them.

Help please This lot drive me crazy lol
    Last edited by Orangeblossom; 02-03-09, 13:57.
    Tracy

Tracy

The devil is in the detail, as they say!

In 1911, married WOMEN were asked to state how long they had been married, so I suspect Mariah has been married for 26 years. Just not to James.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC. Wonder who she was married to then lol
      Tracy

Comment

Working...
      X