Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On what search sites do you find the most info in tracing your roots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On what search sites do you find the most info in tracing your roots?

I am new to geneology and was wondering what people would recommend. With the help of a friend I have found all sorts of information, have joined up ancestry.co.uk (14 day free trial) and to be honest, I am fumbling round in the dark. Where should I go from here?

I have also joined a deceased on line site, and TBH I am wishing I hadn't bothered, it hasn't found a single grave.

Firstly, welcome to Family Tree Forum.

It really depends where the majority of your ancestors come from. If we are talking about England and Wales then Ancestry is probably the best site for you. If you have Scottish roots then you would need Scotlands People.

Have a look in our reference library (known as the Wiki) - click on the Wiki on the blue navigation bar and select the Main Wiki page. Scroll down the page and you will see a section on Online Research - if you click on that it will take you to the following page:
    Online Research - Family Tree Forum

There are a few free sites mentioned here which you will find of use, particuarly freeBMD which will allow you to find birth, marriage and deaths of your ancestors.

If you need some specific help then give us some details of what information you have found and what you are looking for and we will give you some pointers - please remember though that we don´t allow details of living people to be posted on the site.

Don´t be afraid to ask even the simplest of questions -we all had to start somewhere.
    Elaine

Comment

www.familysearch.org

www.ancestry.co.uk

www.genuki.org.uk
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

If you are looking for people researching the same names, I'd say try Curious Fox.
        I know a lot of people have no luck, but while I've had not many contacts through them, they have all been good ones.

Google will often throw up hits with others researching as well.

Comment

FreeBMD and FreeREG.

FreeBMD Home Page

FreeREG - Search UK Parish Register Indices
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hi Lorraine,
            Welcome.
            Most of mine are Scottish so Scotlands People is a must.
            However it is very useful to look at Familysearch and the census indexes at Ancestry to help narrow things down prior to spending credits.
            Personally I wouldn't be without Ancestry for all family members.
            Don't forget about "google" -it is amazing what turns up there.
            A favourite of mine is to write very nice letters to archives - it is amazing how helpful they can be.
            Also - and I think this is important - ask others, sometimes we can become so blinkered that asking someone else will shine a whole new light on the subject. So a site like this can really help to broaden our focus.
            Good luck to you
            herky
            herky
            Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

You might find this page from The Wiki interesting - it gives lots of advice and links to many useful places within The Wiki and then elsewhere.

Creating Your Family Tree - Family Tree Forum
              Caroline
              Caroline's Family History Pages
              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Why not post up a name as an example, then it can be used as a demonstration of where to look. Each of the resources has its own plus and minus points.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

It might be wise to spend some time finding your way around all the free sites first and spend some time getting to know what you already have in your possession as regards your tree so far, and then make a note of all the things you might be interested in like mainly English or mainly Scottish. Do you want Census or are Births Marriages and Deaths (BMD)going to be a priority? BMD are going to be your start point and free BMD is now up to
                  1930's. Once you have found your way around all the free sites and find out what you require, then that may be the time to start looking at Ancestry or Findmypast or another paying site. The trouble is they all have something different so you could end up paying a lot of money to access. Ancestry does offer one hour for free at your local library.

Janet

Comment

Have you found the IGI yet?

That's free and is a nice starting point.

Comment

Originally posted by LorraineJ View Post
                      I am new to geneology and was wondering what people would recommend. With the help of a friend I have found all sorts of information, have joined up ancestry.co.uk (14 day free trial) and to be honest, I am fumbling round in the dark. Where should I go from here?

I have also joined a deceased on line site, and TBH I am wishing I hadn't bothered, it hasn't found a single grave.
                      I think it depends where and when and how far you are prepared to go.

if you have documentation (ie Birth Marriage & Death certs) to get you back to 1901 then Ancestry is the place to using to get you back further.

once you have got back to 1841 then you can begin looking on the LDS and Hugh Wallis, to help you go back further.

'most' people have an ancestry sub, but hey, we all started somewhere so if you get stuck, or dont know where to look then shout up, people will give you the advice if you ask. or if you cant find it they will usually be able to find it and help you out.
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I'd say try your local library first. Many seem to have free access to Ancestry [ours does] and some, it seems, have FMP. Remember that none of the sites is perfect. A search that fails on one may well succeed on another.

Comment

Those mentioned, plus rootsweb mailing lists for surnames, counties etc
                          RootsWeb: Genealogy Mailing Lists
                          Joy

Comment

Working...
                          X