Widows with husbands in 1911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Widows with husbands in 1911

I have found two of my elderly female ancestors in 1911 to be widows on the census when they have husbands alive and in the Workhouse. Has anyone else come across this?

I can't imagine they would get away with claiming a widow's pension but if they wrote this on the census, surely they were also claiming to be widows elsewhere?
    Asa

I don't think there were state widow's pensions in 1911 - just had a Google - they were introduced in 1925. So whatever the reason for claiming they were widows, it wasn't to get a pension.
    Jackie

Comment

My 2xg-grandmother called herself a widow on several censuses although her husband was still alive, and in 1891 was living just a few doors down from her calling himself married. I think it was just that it sounded more respectable to call herself a widow, rather than say married and then have to explain why her husband wasn't with her.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks, Jackie - I had it in my head that the pension came in 1909 for some reason

Thank you, Kiterunner - it's possible that was the case, although there was nothing much respectable about my great great grandmother, who had never actually married my great great grandfather.
        Asa

Comment

I've got one in the 1911 census saying she's been married for 16 years and is with husband in 1901 census. She then dies in 1915 on the death cert it says she's a widow but have not been able to find her husband's death either before or after??!!!

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Asa

Nothing like a bit of scandal to spice up the family tree! They may have been ashamed that their husbands were in the workhouse. Perhaps their husbands had deserted them and weren't supporting them. Maybe they were on the look out for another husband!
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks everyone ;-) Originially I thought I'd made huge mistakes and had death certificates for the wrong people but have checked and double checked and proved once again that I descend from habitual porky tellers...
              Asa

Comment

Originally posted by Asa View Post
                Thanks everyone ;-) Originially I thought I'd made huge mistakes and had death certificates for the wrong people but have checked and double checked and proved once again that I descend from habitual porky tellers...
                Now you know where you get it from :D:D
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                X