Ryall/Rial -Yorkshire and Lincolnshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryall/Rial -Yorkshire and Lincolnshire

I would like to find out more about this family and try to go further back. Any information or suggestions would be very welcome. Sorry if I am doing this wrong as I am new to site.
    Ryall/Rial
    Generation No. 1

1. JOHN1 RYALL was born Abt. 1790 in Lincoln. He married MARTHA. She was born Abt. 1796.
    Residence: 1841, Paul, Yorkshire, England
    Child of JOHN RYALL and MARTHA is:
    i. HENRY2 RYALL, b. 1821, North Thoresby, Lincoln, England; d. Sep 1900, East Riding of Yorkshire.
    Generation No. 2

2. HENRY2 RYALL (JOHN1) was born 1821 in North Thoresby, Lincoln, England, and died Sep 1900 in East Riding of Yorkshire. He married JANE LOTT 11 Jul 1846 in Preston Church,, daughter of ANN. She was born Abt. 1822 in Preston, York, and died 1895 in Sculcoates, Hull.
    Children of HENRY RYALL and JANE LOTT are:
    i. ANN L3 RYALL, b. 1847, Paull; m. ALBERT MANN MYERS, 1886, Sculcoates. East Yorkshire; b. 1841, Yorkshire, England; d. Sep 1898, East Riding Of Yorkshire, United Kingdom.
    ii. JANE RYALL, b. 1854, Paull.
    iii. WILLIAM RYALL, b. 1854, Paull.
    iv. EMILY RYALL, b. 1856, Paull.
    v. HENRY RYALL, b. Abt. 1861, Paull.
    vi. JOHN LOT RYALL, b. Abt. 1864, Paull, Yorks.; d. 1901, Sculcoates, Hull.
    Charles Henry Ryall is the Grandson of Henry and Jane. CHARLES H RYALL, b. 1873, Hull.
    Don’t know parents
    Generation No. 3

3. WILLIAM3 RYALL (HENRY2, JOHN1) was born 1854 in Paull. He married SARAH ELIZABETH GADD, daughter of CHARLES GADD and MARY HERON. She was born Abt. 1856 in Sutton.
    Children of WILLIAM RYALL and SARAH GADD are:
    i. JOHN HENRY4 RIAL, b. 1883, Hull; m. EDITH M STEVENS, 1906, St John (Newington) Hull; b. Abt. 1882, Hull. England.
    ii. ARTHUR RIAL, b. Abt. 1885, Hull; m. ETHEL J R STEVENS, 1908, St Johns, Newland, Hull; b. Yorkshire England.
    iii. CHARLES WILLIAM RIAL, b. Abt. 1887, Hull.
    iv. KATE LILLIAN RIAL, b. 1889, Hull; m. RICHARD DOBSON, 1915, Hull Registrey Office.
    v. FLORANCE RIAL, b. Abt. 1890, Hull.
    vi. ADA RIAL, b. Abt. 1894, Hull; m. WILLIAM J KIRBY, 1924, St James, Hull; b. Abt. 1894, Hull, Yorkshire, England.
    4. HENRY3 RYALL (HENRY2, JOHN1) was born Abt. 1861 in Paull. He married BETSEY HORSEFIELD 1883 in Sculcoates, East Yorkshire.. She was born 1862 in Hull.
    Children of HENRY RYALL and BETSEY HORSEFIELD are:
    i. BERTHA4 RIAL, b. 1887, Hull; m. JOHN W ROBINSON, 1915, Newland/Trinity Methodist Church Hull.
    ii. HAROLD RIAL, b. 1885, Hull.
    iii. WALTER RIAL, b. 1889, Hull; m. LILY ROBINSON, 1915, Newland/Trinity Methodist Church Hull.
    5. JOHN LOT3 RYALL(HENRY2, JOHN1) was born Abt. 1864 in Paull, Yorks., and committed suicide 1901 in Sculcoates, Hull. He married MARTHA TAYLOR 1888 in Sculcoates, East Yorkshire., daughter of JOSEPH TAYLOR and AMATHEA SMITH. She was born Abt. 1868 in Holme on Spalding Moor,Yorks.
    Children of JOHN RYALL and MARTHA TAYLOR are:
    i. HAROLD4 RIAL, b. Abt. 1889, Sculcoates, Hull; d. Abt. 1954, Scotland; m. ELIZABETH.
    Hawthorne Avenue, Hull. Then Scotland. Would like any information on this family.
    ii. ARTHUR RIAL, b. 20 Aug 1895, Hull; d. 12 Jan 1967, Sunnybank, Hull.
    When the boys were young they went to live with Aunty Becky. I think this is Rebecca Taylor b c 1876 in Holme on Spalding Moor,Yorks ( sister of Martha) She married Arthur Simpson b c1873 Would like any information on this family.
    6. CHARLES H3 RYALL (HENRY2, JOHN1) was born 1873 in Hull. He married MARY JOHNSON 1895 in Sculcoates, East Yorkshire.. She was born 1873 in Hull.
    Charles Henry is the Grandson of Henry and Jane.
    Child of CHARLES RYALL and MARY JOHNSON is:
    i. HARRY4 RIAL, b. 1898, Hull; m. FLORENCE H PORSTEIN, 1921, George Lamb Memorial Chapel Hull.
    Would like any information on this family.
    Generation No. 4

7. ARTHUR4 RIAL (JOHN LOT3 RYALL, HENRY2, JOHN1) was born 20 Aug 1895 in Hull, and died 12 Jan 1967 in Sunnybank, Hull. He married (1) SYLVIA BRACEY BELLERBY 1921 in St Augustine, Hull, daughter of THOMAS BELLERBY and LILY BRACEY. She was born 18 Feb 1897 in Beverly, East Yorkshire, and died 05 May 1937. He married (2) VIOLET M HOUGHTON/HAWDON 1942 in Hull Register Offices. She died 23 Nov 2004 in Hull.

Hi

Welcome to the site

To go backwards from John and Martha obviuosly means using the assorted sources of PR's from the online sources and probably via the records offices too at some point.

I had a quick look at freereg but there doesn't seem to be anything that reveals a maiden name for Martha or a marriage on the site at present, (certainly in Lincolnshire anyway). Although to be fair the number of records transcribed is relatively small at present for Lincolnshire, there may also be times when the spelling of the name could be different eg Ryhall seems to appear in the Wrawby area.

There is an extracted IGI entry that might be worth noting for a marriage between a John and Martha, this time in Hull which could be significant in view of the later Sculcoates references.

Marriages:
    Spouse: MARTHA DREWRY
    Marriage: 20 SEP 1819 Holy Trinity, Kingston Upon Hull, Yorkshire, England
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thak you so much. It looks as though it could be the right one. Tried looking her birth up but the nearest I could get was MARTHA DRURY -

International Genealogical Index
      Gender: Female Christening: 25 DEC 1794 Woodkirk, Yorkshire, England
      IGI Individual Record FamilySearch™ International Genealogical Index v5.0
      British Isles
      MARTHA DRURY Pedigree

Christening: 25 DEC 1794 Woodkirk, Yorkshire, Parents:
      Father: THOMAS DRURY Family
      Mother: MARY
      --------------------------

Comment

They (John and Martha) don't seem to have adopted the practice of naming the children after the parents and grandparents, i'm running without an ancestry sub at the moment, do John and Martha appear in the 1851 and later census at all?

I just wonder of John and Martha have anything recorded for place of birth which may narrow things down a little for a potential baptism entry.

I would also think about the death details for John and Martha too, there may be a slim chance that they are buried close to other family, perhaps even a probate record may hold some clues about extended family to?

It looks like you will be crossing the Humber a time or two chasing them that's for sure, these ancestors should have been less mobile, it's so inconsiderate of them to make things so awkward.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

IGI has HENRY RYALL

Christening: 21 DEC 1820 North Thoresby, Lincoln, England
          Parents:
          Father: JOHN RYALL Mother: MARTHA

Then Henry Ryall b c 1821 appears in the following census

1841 born Yorkshire
          1851 " Oakbberingh/ oakbrough, Lincs
          1861 " Thoresby/ Thursby, Lincs
          1871 " Paull, E. Yorks
          1881 " North Thoresby

In 1841 census John Ryall dob c 1790 Paul, Yorkshire
          Martha c 1796 Paul, Yorkshire
          I don't think they appear after that but I haven't renewed my Ancestry this time so cannot check.

What do you think my next step should be as I am only used to finding info on the net?

Comment

Hi Sylvia....welcome to the site

Yes, we have had contact before on GR. I've just been trying to look at our previous conversations but the messages are proving difficult to navigate!

I've just found Martha and John in 1851 living in Paull mistranscribed as Byall

John Byall 59 Oakberingh Lincs
            Matha Byall 54 Oakberingh
            James Care 2 Lodger Oakberingh
            Jeanette
            Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

"Oakberingh"

About as much use as a poke in the eye with a sharp stick methinks. Unless it is the name of an old long forgotten farm then i can't think of anything remotely close to it as a placename in Lincolnshire.

Nothing on google except for a similiar thread on rootsweb and Genuki doesn't have an online gazetteer for Lincs so there isn't much to go on there either. A2A and TNA don't have any results for it either so i wonder what it really should be.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I've been looking too Glen and can't come up with anything :(

There are 2 possible deaths for John in the Patrington registration district between 1851 and 1861 but I can't see one for Martha...nor can I see her on the 1861 census
                Jeanette
                Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

It might be worth going back to this link from time to time;
                  Internet Archive Search: parish registers

There are a number of Yorks register transcription images there (not including Paull or Woodkirk). Whether there will be more as time passes...?

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There is certainly a North Thoresby and also Thursby appears in nameplaces in Lincs but the latter is more towards the coast and partway between Cleethorpes and Skegness area.

North Thoresby is closer to Cleethorpes and up in the Wolds but there isn't anything nearby that has "Oak" in the name (not even the old woods that are dotted around, i have found the odd one here and there that has located a long forgotten farm before now).

Of course i'm working with a modern map which doesn't help but there isn't anything remotely close that jumps out at the moment.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Thanks for all your help folks - thought I had hit a brick wall especially since I haven't renewed my Ancestry subs this year.
                      Can you also help me in the following as I don't know how to go about it:

How do you put a list of what you are researching at the end of your messages - presumably you don't type it in every time?

I have got lots of photos of churches. Is there an easy idiots guide to put thm on this site? Have looked at instructions for getting them from my computer to here but just got confused!

Comment

The names and moving pictures are part of a signature,

if you look at the top of the screen there is a tab called "user tools", click on that and from the list that appears select, user control panel. From there you can edit your profile and signature, eg you con add a list of surnames/places that will be added to every post you make.

In my case it's the photographer and the appeal for pictures of churches north of the border

As for the photographs you have, the "proper" way is to add them to a site such as photobucket and then using copy and paste you can the code which adds them to a post but if you find it easier to send them as an e-mail attachment direct to me i can send you my e-mail addy in a private message if you prefer. I can then add them directly to the wiki on the relevant page(s).

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Old thread I know, but Oakberingh looks to me a lot as if it could be 'Oakborough'. Which is very close to 'Alkborough' if you say it with a flat accent.... and lo and behold, it is very close to North Thoresby and there are a lot of Ryall's in the area, including a John baptised in 1791.

Comment

Henry Ryall was baptised 21st Dec 1821 in North thoresby Lincolnshire. His Dad John was a labourer. Jane

Comment

Sorry 21/12.1820 source Lincstothepast

Comment

I have had a quick look at the Alborough parish records and it looks like the children were born to William and Martha Ryall. not John and Martha. Its not very clear so I could be mistaken. Source Lincstothepast. Jane

Comment

Hi

Agreed, Henry was born to John Ryall and Martha (nee) Drury/Drewry in 1821.
                                  John was baptised in Alkborough 15 May 1791, to William and Martha; Married Martha Drewry 20 September 1819 in Hull; Martha Drury baptised Conisholme 15 Dec 1794, to Lot and Damaris Drury.

William Ryall born to Jane Ryall and baptised Alkborough 19 Oct 1753; Married Martha Simpson 18 Aug 1785 in Alkborough; Buried Alkborough 30 Jan 1837.

There is a Jane Ryal born in Alkborough to Richard Ryall and Anne, baptised 08 Sep 1722. (A sister Anne baptised to the same parents 1715)

Richard Ryall baptised Alkborough 6 Sep 1676 to Richard and Mary

Richard Ryall born 1645 to Richard Ryall and Susannah Cooper

Richard Ryall baptised 23 Jun 1609 in Elsham, Lincolnshire, to Richard and Ales Arins

Richard Ryall born 1584, Elsham to Richard and Elizabeth

Richard Ryall born ~ 1556, at Elsham.

Most of that came from familycentral.net ref1=5721:483&ref2=5721:492http://www.familycentral.net/index/f...&ref2=5721:492

There's a bit of a discrepancy at Jane Ryal - I've seen at http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-...an&id=I6223#s1 that she died in infancy. But there are no other records of Jane Ryalls in the area old enough to be William's mother.

I'll look at lincstothepast.

Thanks

Ed

Comment

Originally posted by Young Ed View Post
                                    Hi

Agreed, Henry was born to John Ryall and Martha (nee) Drury/Drewry in 1821.
                                    John was baptised in Alkborough 15 May 1791, to William and Martha; Married Martha Drewry 20 September 1819 in Hull; Martha Drury baptised Conisholme 15 Dec 1794, to Lot and Damaris Drury.

William Ryall born to Jane Ryall and baptised Alkborough 19 Oct 1753; Married Martha Simpson 18 Aug 1785 in Alkborough; Buried Alkborough 30 Jan 1837.

There is a Jane Ryal born in Alkborough to Richard Ryall and Anne, baptised 08 Sep 1722. (A sister Anne baptised to the same parents 1715)

Richard Ryall baptised Alkborough 6 Sep 1676 to Richard and Mary

Richard Ryall born 1645 to Richard Ryall and Susannah Cooper

Richard Ryall baptised 23 Jun 1609 in Elsham, Lincolnshire, to Richard and Ales Arins

Richard Ryall born 1584, Elsham to Richard and Elizabeth

Richard Ryall born ~ 1556, at Elsham.

Most of that came from familycentral.net ref1=5721:483&ref2=5721:492http://www.familycentral.net/index/f...&ref2=5721:492

There's a bit of a discrepancy at Jane Ryal - I've seen at http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-...an&id=I6223#s1 that she died in infancy. But there are no other records of Jane Ryalls in the area old enough to be William's mother.

I'll look at lincstothepast.

Thanks

Ed
                                    I know it's along time since I posted this query but thanks so much for taking the time to look into it. You have renewed my enthusiasm to get to the bottom of this side of the family and I will revisit my research and all that you have found out. Particularly good day to research - wet and miserable. Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                                    X