Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edward & Eliza Blackband.... suggestions re 1911

Now

this family are causing me abit of a headache....

I have tried all sorts but I cannot find them in 1911... now I dont expect anyone to contravene FMP's T&C's (or the cost!!) but suggestions would be gladly recieved.

I know that Edward (Ted) Blackband married Eliza Ann Holmes 8 oct 1900 at Annesley, Nottm.

Ted was a Railway Porter if I remember rightly.

I have them on the 1901 census in Syston, Leics and have the names of their 4 children born.

Edward 1905 @ Nottm.
    Arthur 1906 @ Nottm.
    Louise 1907 @ Nottm.
    Eva 1912 @ Nottm.

I should add that all children have now passed over.

I know that they also lived in Nottingham (Wilford) area during WW2 (as Ted was an ARP whilst living in Wilford)

can anyone suggest some way of finding them please..

thanks for looking
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Where were Ted and Eliza born, Julie?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Sorry Kate,

I got a bit carried away didnt I?

:o

Ted was born 23 sept 1876 @ Lowdham. Notts (d. 1971)
      Eliza was born 1876 @ Annesley, Nottinghamshire. (d. 1957)
      Julie

Comment

Sorry, I can't find them at all at the moment, Julie.
        KiteRunner

Comment

oh well,

just like me then................. sighs
          Julie

Comment

Not a lot of help, but the locations mentioned suggest he might have been working for the Great Central Railway.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
              Not a lot of help, but the locations mentioned suggest he might have been working for the Great Central Railway.
              yes he did work on the railway, all my files are in storage at the moment so I cant find out which...... I think it was possibly LMS but dont quote me on it.
              Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                yes he did work on the railway, all my files are in storage at the moment so I cant find out which...... I think it was possibly LMS but dont quote me on it.
                In 1923 the Great Central became part of the LNER.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                  In 1923 the Great Central became part of the LNER.
                  that maybe so, as Nottingham Victoria was known as 'Nottingham Joint' station. However, there was also a 'Midland' Station which was nearer to his house.

(and also alot of marshalling yards).

Also the GC, GN & the Midland railway all had stations within a mile of Annesley..
                  Julie

Comment

Update regarding the locations and their railways.... all are close to (or on) lines operated by the Midland Railway (later the LMS).....

Syston is too far from GC for it to be a viable link
                    https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

I've tried all ways to find them, but nothing comes up at all I'm afraid.
                      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                        I've tried all ways to find them, but nothing comes up at all I'm afraid.
                        thats what I found too Wendy... a big fat nothing!

plenty of 'other' Blackbands... which are related in Nottm, just not them.

I wonder if they are in the un-released bits? which is yorkshire? and wales isnt it?

and it seems odd as well that there is such a gap between the 3rd and 4th birth... which the 1911 would sort, for any that died.

thanks Wendy anyway..
                        Julie

Comment

Whooooooo hoooooooooooo

thank you FMP!!

since they unlocked the restriction on the forename and surname I have found them!!!

They were in Nottm, Edward worked for the 'Midland Railway' as a Parcel Porter.

Eliza has her name wrote down as Elizza

but even then, when I tried a search on edward or the children it still didnt bring them up, so something was screwy somewhere!..

anyway, all children present and correct (aside from Eve that was born in 1912 obviously) and no child deaths.

All I need now is to find out where 'Buxton Terrace, Buxton Street' was in Nottm, any ideas??
                          Julie

Comment

This link might give you a clue to help find Buxton Street in 1891, and presumably address search on the 1881 would find it - if it was built then
                            Adelaide Eliza Culyer - George Smith
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Oh yes, if you go onto the 1891 census and look at the description of enumeration district for district 32 in Nottinghamshire - St Mary - Nottingham South West, it should give you a good idea of whereabouts it was, but not very many of those streets exist now!
                              KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks Kate

I have a parish map so know the boundaries of St. Marys... so have a rough idea where I am with it

*makes note to self to get the old maps out of whichever box I put them in
                                Julie

Comment

hmmn having a nosey at me parish map..

I have found a Buxton something or other.. cant read the flaming words, just off 'Kings meadow road' in st georges parish. I cant remember what yr this map is, got it from archives.

but this looks like it is/would be meadows/wilford area now, (and I know they lived wilford during ww2.)
                                  Julie

Comment

Yes, that'll be it because King's Meadow Road is in that ED 32 on the 1891. Somewhere near where the Royal Ordnance works was, maybe?
                                    KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                                      Yes, that'll be it because King's Meadow Road is in that ED 32 on the 1891. Somewhere near where the Royal Ordnance works was, maybe?
                                      oh is it? I didnt look at the census..lol. just looked at me map that I got from archives.

I guess now it'd be around where NG2 is and the new Sainsburys Homebase.

am happy now I have found them anyway, one less to worry about.
                                      Julie

Comment

Working...
                                      X