No announcement yet.

398348 names in the database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elizabeth, after you click the EXPORT button at the bottom of the screen, you should be asked where you want it to save it and what you want to call it. If you have done that, it should be by default in your My Documents Folder. It will have the file extention of .ged.

Comment

• By the way, when you export from PAF, choose "other gedcom 5.5" and change the char set to ANSI or ANSEL. If you're exporting a gedcom to upload to FTF, untick notes and sources, otherwise your file may be too big.

Comment

• GrandmaSilver - did you remove all notes etc from the file when you created the gedcom? How many names are in your tree? I know people have successfully uploaded gedcoms containing several thousand names.
        Gillian
        User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

• Mary, it didn't ask me where I wanted to save it, which confused me, as I'm sure it used to!

Sorry - it asked for a file name, which I gave it, "FTF.ged" but it didn't ask me where I wanted to save it.
          Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 09-02-09, 08:50.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

• Go to File - Export.

Choose other gedcom 5.5 and change the char set to ANSI or ANSEL.

Under Include, untick everything.

Click Export.

A box now comes up asking you to give the file a name, and you choose which folder to save it in.

Comment

• I've found it now. :o

My computer confuses me sometimes, I've got so much stuff on it. I think it needs sorting out, but I haven't a clue how to start!
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:
              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

• In My Documents you can create new folders, and drag your files to them to tidy them up.

I have one folder called genealogy, with subfolders for my main surnames, and subfolders for Wills, Burials, Census images, etc.

If you can't find a file, click on Search at the top of the My Documents page.

Comment

• I have now uploaded it -

1,619 people have been added (out of over 3,000)

Last time I uploaded a file, Elaine identified a problem with living people appearing and other problems, so I had to delete it.

Is there any way I can check that there are no problems with it this time?
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

• Elizabeth- there really shouldn´t be any problems now with living people appearing in the database. We had a fault in the system at one point but it has now been corrected.
                    Just to reassure yourself do a search for a few ´living people´ names - they shouldn´t show up!
                    Elaine

Comment

• Originally posted by Just Gillian View Post
                      GrandmaSilver - did you remove all notes etc from the file when you created the gedcom? How many names are in your tree? I know people have successfully uploaded gedcoms containing several thousand names.
                      I exported the whole file from Family Tree Maker 2005.
                      The file size was 212356KB
                      Total individuals 5727 - some of these are still living so wont be counted if it had uploaded.
                      How do I remove all notes etc

Comment

• That's a bit too big - the maximum size is 2 gb.

You'll have to export from FTM, reimport telling it not to import notes and sources, then re-export (yes, I know it's a silly system).

IMPORTANT: Give the reimported file without notes a different name from your main tree, otherwise you'll overwrite it and lose all your notes.

Comment

• That's a bit too big - the maximum size is 2 gb.

You'll have to export from FTM, reimport telling it not to import notes and sources, then re-export (yes, I know it's a silly system).

IMPORTANT: Give the reimported file without notes a different name from your main tree, otherwise you'll overwrite it and lose all your notes.

DID ALL THAT- STILL TOO BIG

What do I do now?
                          (I checked to make sure all notes had gone)

Comment

• That's odd. Are you sure you exported it in gedcom format? The file name should end in .ged.

Comment

• Think that figure should be 2 MB, not 2 GB, shouldn't it?
                              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

• Oops, yes

Comment

• Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                  That's odd. Are you sure you exported it in gedcom format? The file name should end in .ged.
                                  Yes ,just checked that I had it in Gedcom format. It has 5727 individuls and is6.03MB in size.

Comment

• I'm surprised it's so large. Mine has about 2500 names, and after stripping out notes and sources it's only about 800Kb.

Anyway, Glen's the expert on FTM, and with a bit of luck he'll be along later to advise you.

Comment

• I have got rid of all the notes bur sources are still there. how do I get rid of them?

Comment

• Maybe this might help

First thing to do is export the file as a GEDCOM format and save it to your pc, File>Export File>Entire File. The new file should be given a distinctive name just to make it easy to identify later, it will contain ALL names, notes, sources and facts that have been entered.

Now the file has to be imported back into FTM, during the import, by default the notes, facts etc will be imported but by selecting the "do not import" option it is possible to remove notes, sources and facts and therefore create a smaller file. Starting at the import step the screenshots and instructions below explain how to remove notes etc.

Screenshots;

So locate the GEDCOM file on your pc and right click your mouse over the file icon, from the dropdown select the open option

Now you have to name this new file, i have called this file "birthfamily import"....you may want to call it something like "master no notes", any name can be used but the important thing is to make sure you use a name to illustrate that means something to you.

After naming the file click the Facts to import button

Now we reach the part of the process where we choose what will or won't be imported, the screengrab shows the dialogue box that appears, the entries in blue text are the default entries which will always be imported, the entries in black are optional.

We only need keep BAPT and BURIAL from the optional list, the remainder do not need to be imported for the database (if they are imported the information will not be displayed anyway but does add to the filesize).

Click on a fact to make it turn blue, then click the don't import button as illustrated...

Continue through the list until just the BAPT and BURIAL facts are listed, when you have completed the selections the only items that will be imported will appear as shown below, once you have made the final selection click the ok button

This has now made a new file in this example it is "birth family import", all the notes and sources etc have been removed, it is just the bare bones of names and dates in the file, this file now has to be exported again and saved as a GEDCOM format, again make sure the name you give the file makes it easy to see this file is a stripped down/no notes file.

You can now upload the new stripped down GEDCOM to the FTF database.
                                        Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 10-02-09, 09:26.
                                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                                        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                                        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

• Done all of that but file is still too large 6.00something MB. When I open it again in FTM the notes hve gone but not the source.
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X