No announcement yet.

398348 names in the database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I added my tree yesterday, I kept meaning to but kept forgetting. I think it added about 550.
    Hail Spode!

Comment

Is it possible to upload from any other format?

I keep my stuff in Excel.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The software used for reading the uploaded files works with .GED format but any other type of file will be very different.

Legacy users (not sure whether it applies to a specific version or all of them) can import an Excel file then export it as a .GED format.

Legacy Family Tree Matters
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thanks, Glen

I can probably use that to set up a file with the basic data in it: names, BMD dates and places.

I have quite a lot, now!

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Something has gone wrong!

I just went to see if I had any matches with my new update & my names aren't there!
            It says I have 511 names in the database but none of them are there.
            Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Was your tree exported from GR or Ancestry, or on your own tree program?

Comment

Are you sure you are putting the surname in the right box Viv? I once put the surname in the the given name box and wondered why I couldn't find any:o
                Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Ooooops, panic over, thanks for that Kat.

Sorry folks, senior moment-------------or two:D

Oh, not that it matters now Mary but I export from FTM.
                  Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Can someone remind me please?

If I upload my gedcom with living rellies these won't be shown? or do I have to delete them all beforehand?

Anyone born before 1899 without a death date will show up but anyone born after 1899 and without a death date won't show?

If the person has a burial date then they will show?
                    Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Vivienne View Post
                      Ooooops, panic over, thanks for that Kat.

Sorry folks, senior moment-------------or two:D
                      Know how you feel LOL
                      Kat

Comment

Is it possible to find out the average size of a tree?

I have worked out that the total number of names on our gedcom (I suppose that it is technically speaking an index????) divided by the number of members works out at about 69, but of course that includes those members who have not contributed their gedcoms for one reason or another.

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                          Can someone remind me please?

If I upload my gedcom with living rellies these won't be shown? or do I have to delete them all beforehand?

Anyone born before 1899 without a death date will show up but anyone born after 1899 and without a death date won't show?

If the person has a burial date then they will show?
                          It says on the upload page "The upload process is designed to filter out the details of people who were born within the last 100 years, where no death date has been given."

Comment

So I can leave all my kids on the gedcom then but make sure I remove any rellies that are still living if they are over 100 years old. OK lol
                            Kat

Comment

I added another 15 last night.
                              Kat, so how many rellies have you got that are over 100 & still alive then?
                              Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                                So I can leave all my kids on the gedcom then but make sure I remove any rellies that are still living if they are over 100 years old. OK lol
                                And remove any who died young that you don't want on. There are a few of my generation and later who are already dead.
                                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Well done, guys

Comment

Pretty amazing to think there have been close to 8000 names added to the database since yesterday.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post

Pretty amazing to think there have been close to 8000 names added to the database since yesterday.
                                      And still none related to me!!

*sob sob*

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
                                        And still none related to me!!

*sob sob*
                                        Look at it this way, if the database hits 1,000,000 before you get a link then yoiu can say with all honesty it's a one in a million experience, that sounds far better and is easier to say than one in 406,097

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I have about 4000 names in my Family Tree Maker program.
                                          Some is my research which I feel is close to accurate
                                          Other stuff is from books and contacts with people around the world who shared their family trees. --- i e -- not original research or not sure of accuracy.
                                          Would it be right to export it to your gedcom (assuming I actually could figure out how to do that) or should I try to peel off various branches of the tree and only export that.
                                          BIG ASSUMPTION - is can i make a gedcom file. I'm good at finding stuff and putting it in the FTM program but totally hopeless at getting anything out.
                                          Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Comment

Working...
                                          X