398348 names in the database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GrandmaSilver View Post
    Done all of that but file is still too large 6.00something MB. When I open it again in FTM the notes hve gone but not the source.
    In the last screengrab i added the black text items on the right are those that are included (only those with => and listed under the "resulting fields" column are transferred to the new file).

Sources are one item that can be excluded, if your file is still over 6MB it suggests something is still included somewhere as there are a few files in the database with in excess of 7000 names that are under the 2MB limit, tbh i would have said that a file of roughly 5700 names without notes and sources should be under 2MB, at 6MB it seems excessively large to just have names and dates but no notes, sources, bmd and census refs etc.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

• Gedom

Right, I started from the beginning following all your pictures. The resulting Gedcom file is still as large and still has sources in it. Some of the sources are downloads from Ancestry . com so can be quite large and I think that might be the problem. So how do I get rid of them? I have attached a picture of my screen to show what I did. I think it is the same as yours.
      Help!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by GrandmaSilver; 09-02-09, 16:05.

Comment

• Gedcom

Just had another look at your pictures. When I start from the beginning and go to my family tree icons they are not the same as yours. Is that where the problem is?
        Attached another picture of screen, sorry I don't know how to put it in the message like you do. That is something else I need to learn?
        Attached Files

Comment

• FTM can use several types of file, the red and blue icons you have are the non gedcom format. There are no gedcom files displayed in your screenshot.
          You can force Windows to search for files of a particular type (in this case it would be .GED files) but if you are on XP then i can't produce a screenshot that will show you how, Vista is slightly different.

There is a wiki page showing what each type is and a bit of detail about the different filetypes, rather than repeat everything here it's probably easier to post the link.

Family Tree Maker - File Extensions and Icons - Family Tree Forum

As for the merged stuff from Ancestry i'm not sure, in theory it should be removed but i have never merged any into my file so there may be something relating to that merging process i'm not aware of.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

• GEDcom from FTM without sources

Stange but I have already posted this. It was there then next time I went to the thread it was gone !

I have had at last managed to upload my GED com file without sources from FTM!
            From 5727 names it has loaded 3745!!

I will not be updating this though as it took half an hour to manually delete over 300 sources and every time it asked me if I was sure. ( I had to go Edit, Edit Master Sources, Find master Source, Delete, Are you sure, Yes)

Comment

• Originally posted by GrandmaSilver View Post
              Stange but I have already posted this. It was there then next time I went to the thread it was gone !

I have had at last managed to upload my GED com file without sources from FTM!
              From 5727 names it has loaded 3745!!

I will not be updating this though as it took half an hour to manually delete over 300 sources and every time it asked me if I was sure. ( I had to go Edit, Edit Master Sources, Find master Source, Delete, Are you sure, Yes)
              That will be where the confusion came about, the master source is a ddifferent entry and as you say it's a case of removing each one individually, not too bad on a small file but on a large one it becomes quite tedious. I never gave a thought to it being master sources as being the cause of the problem :o

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

• We now have *drumroll into cymbals*

426,901 names

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

• Still no matches for me though!:(
                  Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

• Is anyone laying bets on when we will reach 500,000?
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:
                    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

• Originally posted by Vivienne View Post
                      Still no matches for me though!:(
                      Blinky glass half empty attitude

Let me fill it for you by saying nobody has for the moment not found the crucial link to such an illustrious person as yourself :D:D

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

• Ahh Glen, thank you.:D:D

Maybe I'll make a trip north of the border & make the acquaintance of the illustrious Mrs G & yourself courtesy of the Pensions service.:D
                        Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

• Just added 38 more - every little helps.
                          Hail Spode!

Comment

• Originally posted by guybrush View Post
                            Just added 38 more - every little helps.
                            It certainly does Guy..it certainly does.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                            X