Firefox advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox advice please

I've been using Firefox for a several weeks now and have been very pleased with it but now it seems to have developed a glitch. To begin with, whenever I opened Firefox it took me straight to my BT/Yahoo homepage and was set for me to log-in to that service only once a fortnight. Recently Firefox has required me to log-in every single time and setting it to only ask for this once a fortnight had no effect;every time I opened the browser, the tick in that particular box had disappeared again. I wasn't too bothered by this as the log-in page was displaying my BT/Yahoo security avatar.This indicates that I am logging in to the genuine Yahoo pages. Now, that avatar has disappeared to and I am being asked to create another one. If I connect to the internet with IE, everything is as it should be - I am logged in automatically and if I log out, my avatar is displayed. Clearly something has gone wrong with Firefox but I don't know what. No amount of fiddling with the settings seems to have any effect (but then,I don't really underatnd what I'm doing or what all the terms mean). Now my security avatar has disappeared I'm afraid to log-in (I've already changed my BT/Yahoo password as a precaution) using Firefox...but I really prefer it to IE. The only thing I can think to do is uninstall and start again. Have FTF computer experts any other ideas about how to get it working properly again please?

Ann
    ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
    Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Yes you could uninstall & download again.
    I updated Firefox once & it went right off. Make sure you are using the latest ver.
    tugman

Comment

Thanks Tugman. I was afraid that might be the only answer (I hate altering anything on the computer!). I'll steel myself to do it sometime.

Ann
      Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Before doing that, try deleting the Firefox cache (Tools-Options-Privacy-Cache-Clear cache now) and cookies (Tools-Options-Privacy-Cookies-Clear cookies now), then close and reopen the program (you may lose any saved passwords).

Then enter the correct address of your BT/Yahoo page in Tools-Options-General-HomePage-Location.

Close and reopen Firefox again, and check that it's showing the correct home page.

Comment

In Firefox Tools - Options - Security tick the remember passwords box.
          You could also tick the suspected forgery site box.
          Cheers
          Guy
          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
            Before doing that, try deleting the Firefox cache (Tools-Options-Privacy-Cache-Clear cache now) and cookies (Tools-Options-Privacy-Cookies-Clear cookies now), then close and reopen the program (you may lose any saved passwords).

Then enter the correct address of your BT/Yahoo page in Tools-Options-General-HomePage-Location.

Close and reopen Firefox again, and check that it's showing the correct home page.
            Originally posted by Guy View Post
            In Firefox Tools - Options - Security tick the remember passwords box.
            You could also tick the suspected forgery site box.
            Cheers
            Guy
            Thanks to you both. I've tried all you suggest and it is still the same. I do have it set to tell me if a site is a forgery and to remember passwords so I'm not sure what has happened to it. It looks as though a reinstall is the only option.

Ann
            Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

I am having trouble with Yahoo Mail and Firefox too - I always have it open on a tab and check every so often just to see if anything has gone into the spam folder as it all gets downloaded automatically to my PC. It suddenly kicked me out two days ago and now will not let me login at all .... all relevant boxes are ticked. No problems at all with IE so must be a general problem with Firefox..
              Caroline
              Caroline's Family History Pages
              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I've been using Firefox for a few years and haven't had any problems with Yahoo Mail. Which version of Firefox do you have, Ann? Have you tried contacting Mozilla or Yahoo?
                Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

I found this advice earlier on the Firefox Forum (actually about logging into Hotmail) so I did both and it lets me log in again to Yahoo as normal. Why it should have suddenly kicked me out while I was logged in I don't know.

Try to Clear the Cache and Delete the Cookies from site(s) that cause problems:

Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Offline Storage (Cache): "Clear Now"

Firefox 2 and above: To remove all cookies, go to "Tools -> Options -> Privacy / Cookies -> Show Cookies..." and click "Remove All Cookies". To remove specific cookies, select a cookie from the list, and click "Remove Cookie".

You will have to re-enter all the passwords again on every site of course ...
                  Caroline
                  Caroline's Family History Pages
                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                    I am having trouble with Yahoo Mail and Firefox too - I always have it open on a tab and check every so often just to see if anything has gone into the spam folder as it all gets downloaded automatically to my PC. It suddenly kicked me out two days ago and now will not let me login at all .... all relevant boxes are ticked. No problems at all with IE so must be a general problem with Firefox..
                    Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                    I found this advice earlier on the Firefox Forum (actually about logging into Hotmail) so I did both and it lets me log in again to Yahoo as normal. Why it should have suddenly kicked me out while I was logged in I don't know.

Try to Clear the Cache and Delete the Cookies from site(s) that cause problems:

Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Offline Storage (Cache): "Clear Now"

Firefox 2 and above: To remove all cookies, go to "Tools -> Options -> Privacy / Cookies -> Show Cookies..." and click "Remove All Cookies". To remove specific cookies, select a cookie from the list, and click "Remove Cookie".

You will have to re-enter all the passwords again on every site of course ...
                    By changing my homepage to Firefox (the default option), I find I can at least get onto the internet...but it still won't open my BT/Yahoo mail without asking me to log in. I'm using Firefox 3.0.5 which I am pretty sure is the latest version - I only downloaded it on 20th December and if I try to update it I'm told there are no new updates.

Caroline: do you have one of Yahoo's so-called security seals which you create yourself to show you are logging in to the genuine Yahoo? If so,is it showing when you try to log-in? Mine has disappeared from Firefox and I am very loath to log-in when I can't be sure the site is genuine (although Firefox is saying it is). I'll have a go at deleting all cookies and see what happens.

Ann
                    Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Working...
                    X