Identifying Strange Balls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigShaz McCreadie View Post

Found some more here... called Horses Jolly balls.....

Google Image Result for http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categoryimages/normal/p-30930-40963-horse-toys.jpg

By the way.... Joanie..... :p :D

OMG I was only kidding raoflmho!!!

If nothing else Richard you have brought a smile to everyone's face that's for sure!

:D

Joanie

Comment

Redacted

Comment

I think they're ballbobs or bubble floats used for pike fishing.
        Paul Barton, Special Agent

Hear my themetune on http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/dickbarton.wav

Comment

That's another interesting theory Paul. This is where my family lived at the time the photo was taken in 1927, Mill Court Cottages in Froyle. They moved there from West End Lodge where the horse ball play tools are made, more or less directly opposite across the road, in around 1918.

Now & Then - Mill Court

As you can see the Rivery Wey run right beside their home, and is described as a 'tempting pool' for the angler. Not heard of any interest in fishing in my family, but with that next to their house, surely they must have done occasionaly?

Just when I thought we had it cracked... the mystery deepens!
          Last edited by Richard; 05-02-09, 08:43.

Comment

were the family connected to sea fishing? Could they be floats for fishing nets?
            Rose

Comment

edgeleygarston

I think they are football and they been lace up and they are holding the lace

Comment

Richard sorry to start it all up again, just seen the thread...
                Auntie's is definitely held by a string off a round ball to my eyes and I'd say netball, given her kit.
                But the boys...looks more like balloons to me?! Especially the boy on the left as you look at it, it doesn't look quite round. Also, the bit they are holding seems to be part of it, not a separate string. I couldn't find anything tooo useful on net, But I reckon balloons were a heavier rubber back then- are they all dressed up at a party?

Comment

Working...
                X