Identifying Strange Balls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
    A medicine ball would be even heavier than a football. I think it's a smallish leather ball she's holding by the laces (netball?) and the boys have something entirely different.
    I'm with you Jill just didn't think of netball :D
    Reckon you could be right though....

Google Image Result for http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/covtelegraph/feb2008/4/4/32025730-F69C-4937-3027B473A25FCE5E.jpg

Later date but ball looks similar
    With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

That still leaves the problem of the boys...

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
        That still leaves the problem of the boys...

Been trying every search possible for them. Even wondered if they were some form of vessel for carrying water Tried round bottles, flasks, canisters... rotund bottles, flasks, canisters .... sphere shaped bottles, flasks and canisters and have given up on that one now :D

Tried just about every archive toy site imaginable every sport involving balls.

I am starting to wish I'd never looked at this thread

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
          Oh, that's taken me back. I used to love netball, I was in the school team.
          Anyone fancy an FTF netball meet :D:D
          Certainly NOT !!!! nobody's seeing my navy blue knickers :D

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Whereabouts in Hampshire is this?
            Is location significant?
            Just wondering if we can at least link them to coast or country.

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post

Certainly NOT !!!! nobody's seeing my navy blue knickers :D

you were lucky Rachel we were so poor my mum made mine out of old flannelette sheets I dreaded sports day until I was about 14

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                you were lucky Rachel we were so poor my mum made mine out of old flannelette sheets I dreaded sports day until I was about 14
                Ooooo what colour ? and why was 14 so good ? did it take you all those years to grow into them ?

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Hello, thanks for all the ideas everyone, been reading them with interest. The two photos are taken about the same time 1926/7, but two seperate branches of my tree, auntie is from my mothers side, the boys my fathers, so not related. Photo of auntie is taken Leytonstone, London, the boys Froyle, Hampshire so countryside not coast. Auntie would have been the sort to play sport I'm sure, so wouldn't be at all suprised if it is netball and the photo is to commemorate the 'medal' she is wearing, certainly quite possible.

Comment

Know it might sound crazy but are they for ice pucking.

tugman

Comment

I wonder if they are some sort of Boule.
                      Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Did the family have horses??

Comment

Originally posted by BigShaz McCreadie View Post
                          Did the family have horses??
                          Horse football? Lol!

:D:D

Joanie

Comment

Well I have googled until I am goggle eyed - and have just shown it to OH (should have done it before - font of all useless information!) and he announced that bowling balls used to have a "ball holder" (with a handle and prongs) that just was pushed into the holes for carrying the balls. There was a release lever on the handle to release the holder and leave the ball ready for use in bowling!!!
                            It sounds plausible to me - so what do we google now - holders for bowling balls, pronged holders for balls, how to carry your bowling ball in the 1920s??!!
                            Marion
                            There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Joan of Archives View Post
                              Horse football? Lol!

:D:D
                              :D Hey don't knock it Joanie check out this link... the place is in Froyle Hampshire,,, scroll down to the 6th item :D

Google Image Result for http://www.tek-quine.co.uk/imgs/horse-play-ball.jpg

Could be they just make them more colourful these days... Lol

Comment

Originally posted by MarionH View Post
                                Well I have googled until I am goggle eyed - and have just shown it to OH (should have done it before - font of all useless information!) and he announced that bowling balls used to have a "ball holder" (with a handle and prongs) that just was pushed into the holes for carrying the balls. There was a release lever on the handle to release the holder and leave the ball ready for use in bowling!!!
                                It sounds plausible to me - so what do we google now - holders for bowling balls, pronged holders for balls, how to carry your bowling ball in the 1920s??!!
                                Marion
                                Marion I have found this ....
                                <broken link removed>

Handle Grip Bowling Ball
                                Last edited by Grimsqueaker; 06-12-20, 11:43. Reason: Broken link removed

Comment

Hello Shaz

Yes the family were well involved with horses g-g grandad was a horse carter, I have a picture of him out in the fields with his shire horses. All the boys (who were fit and able) in that branch of my family left school at 14 and became horse carters, some even younger, my g-g grannies brother was apprenticed at 12 and died two days after his 13th birthday from a kick to the chest by a colt, poor soul. I wonder whether you have got it and the balls are the same sort of thing shown in that picture. Funnily enough the house that business is run from West End Farm is more or less where my family lived, they lived West End Lodge next to the farm house. I hadn't imagined the balls would have anything to do with horses, but really wondering in light of that if you are right.

Comment

Originally posted by Grampa Jim View Post
                                    I wonder if they are some sort of Boule.
                                    Of course they are Jim, they're round aren't they :D:D

Mine were dark green Rachel :D:D
                                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                      Of course they are Jim, they're round aren't they :D:D

Mine were dark green Rachel :D:D
                                      What I meant was like the balls in Petanque.
                                      Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                                        Hello Shaz

Yes the family were well involved with horses g-g grandad was a horse carter, I have a picture of him out in the fields with his shire horses. All the boys (who were fit and able) in that branch of my family left school at 14 and became horse carters, some even younger, my g-g grannies brother was apprenticed at 12 and died two days after his 13th birthday from a kick to the chest by a colt, poor soul. I wonder whether you have got it and the balls are the same sort of thing shown in that picture. Funnily enough the house that business is run from West End Farm is more or less where my family lived, they lived West End Lodge next to the farm house. I hadn't imagined the balls would have anything to do with horses, but really wondering in light of that if you are right.
                                        Hi Richard

I wonder if the company would know the history of the horses kick balls?
                                        Maybe they could let us know if we are on the right track
                                        Ooooh Do I get a prize if correct :D

Found some more here... called Horses Jolly balls.....

Google Image Result for http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categoryimages/normal/p-30930-40963-horse-toys.jpg

By the way.... Joanie..... :p :D

Comment

They have an excellent archive in Froyle which two locals run, they've been fantastically helpful before, so maybe I'll intrude on their good will a little further..and ask for their help again! They may well know, will report to you how I get on, and whether you do get the prize Shaz..I suspect you have hit the nail on the head.

Thanks again for everybodies terrific effort and interest, you lot never cease to amaze me..budding master detectives one and all!

Comment

Working...
                                          X