Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

try googling ball activities in the 40,50,s brenda xxx

Comment

There's definitely some kind of hook/handle on the top of them, indicating that they're not designed for rolling, so that's the bowling idea dismissed. Although I'm not too sure about throwing either, as with a hook/handle that would seem impractical.

So, what were they for? They'll obviously pretty significant to them, but what as??

Weightlifting??

Comment

I was thinking something like weightlifting too - they sort of resemble Kettlebells - except the balls in the pictures don't look particularly heavy.
        Sarah

Comment

I am pretty sure the boys are a team, also that auntie also probably took part in something. I think it's some kind of medicine or gymnastics ball....still looking

Comment

I tried to explain them to OH and he wondered if they be those thing they fling in the Olympics .... he means throwing the hammer.
            But they would be much heavier

Good grief I googled (images) field sports for children + 1940s and the first pic shows a girl vacuuming

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 23-01-09, 11:28.
            ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

OH just looked over my shoulder while I was trying to work out what the balls were :D

He asked if there is any connection with chimney sweeps because the balls in the first photo look like the balls that were used as a weight to pull the brush down. Admittedly these balls were usually made of Lead or Iron.

He is probably way off the mark but thought I'd share it anyway
              With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

As for the second photograph I think its possible that the young girl was maybe a member of a girls football team.

I found quite a bit about girls football and they were playing in teams even during the first world war.

There is quite a bit on google and I also found this...

The Munitionettes

Now whilst the pose and costume are both very different. If you look at the ball in the photo there does appear to be 'something' sticking out from the side (possibly a lace?) and I am sure that the ball could have been held by this.

Comment

The children all appear to be holding a ball by a loop or lace......

Comment

The ones the boys have look a bit small for footballs but auntie's one does seem to have a pattern ... will enlarge it and put it on here

YES that could well be where it's laced up
                    Last edited by Rachel Scand; 23-01-09, 13:13.
                    ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

footballs years ago did have a leather lace up outer case and a rubber blow up inner tube maybe they are holding the laces?????

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                        footballs years ago did have a leather lace up outer case and a rubber blow up inner tube maybe they are holding the laces?????
                        But the boys' ones are smooth and smaller ... ah do you mean they could be the inside tubes ?

Comment

But why would they be so proud of an 'inner tube' of a football? Anyway the laces would be on the outside part

I have done a lot of Googling and found nothing! I really hope someone can find out why they have them in the photo. I'm really curious now!!

Anne

Comment

I've been googling too, found some odd things, mind, but none of them relevant.

The inside of the football was/is known as the bladder.
                            Last edited by Jill on the A272; 23-01-09, 15:43. Reason: bladder - no, not mine, the football's

Comment

Could the girl be holding a football by the lace and the boys a bowling or skittle ball, also by the lace?
                              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I don't actually think there is any connection with the two photographs and I think its purely coincidental that they are all holding balls.

The photo's were also taken 5yrs apart.

Richard.. are the boys realted to your great aunt?

I have been looking at chimney sweeps balls to see where OH was coming from and yes I can see where he is coming from but have no idea why 3 lads looking nothing like chimney sweeps would be holding them :D

Comment

I am sure the girl is not holding a football, as footballs at this time were leather and very heavy.

Comment

The girl is holding a medicine ball, googled some photos and I am sure, as for the boys.........weeeeeellllll....

Comment

A medicine ball would be even heavier than a football. I think it's a smallish leather ball she's holding by the laces (netball?) and the boys have something entirely different.
                                      Last edited by Jill on the A272; 23-01-09, 17:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                                        A medicine ball would be even heavier than a football. I think it's a smallish leather ball she's holding by the laces (netball?) and the boys have something entirely different.
                                        Oooooo yes of course .... forgot about netball.
                                        That would make perfect sense and it's about the right size for 'girlie' hands and is that what the medal is for ?

Comment

Oh, that's taken me back. I used to love netball, I was in the school team.
                                          Anyone fancy an FTF netball meet :D:D
                                          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                          X