No announcement yet.

Ancestry annual sub for £35?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How amazing! That's so cheap by comparison to what we in the UK are paying. If Ancestry can provide a package in Aus at a low price, why can't they here? How can they justify charging us double+? We should all boycott Ancestry uk, it's now been exposed as a rip off.

Incidentally, does anyone know how much Americans' pay?

Comment

Originally posted by susan h View Post
      How amazing! That's so cheap by comparison to what we in the UK are paying. If Ancestry can provide a package in Aus at a low price, why can't they here? How can they justify charging us double+? We should all boycott Ancestry uk, it's now been exposed as a rip off.

Incidentally, does anyone know how much Americans' pay?
      They have slighlty different database sets but the two packages are either US records or the world package

US$155 or US$300 respectively

Depending on the exchange rate the world package would be around £210 but there may be additional taxes to pay on top. Pre xmas the US package was offered at a 50% discount.

The offer via the Australian site closes in the first week of February, once it ends the prices will be very close to the UK price.
      Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 15-01-09, 11:06.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Can anyone talk me through this?

I've just clicked on the link, and followed the links on ancestry to 'cancel subscription' - but it tells me I'm not eligible for a refund :(. I took out an annual UK Heritage sub with the Oz site last Oct.

If I click on the button for 'upgrade' it quotes a refund of A$116.08 and a price of A$449.95 to upgrade to World Heritage. That's twice the price of the special deal of 50% off.

How do I get the 50% deal and get a refund? Any ideas?

Bee.
        Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
        COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

Maybe the terms and conditions that you agreed to when you took out your sub said that you couldn't cancel and get a refund in the first year?
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
            Maybe the terms and conditions that you agreed to when you took out your sub said that you couldn't cancel and get a refund in the first year?
            Spot on;

Taken from the Ancestry (AU site) T&C

Your cancellation call must be received by end of business (5:00 p.m. Mountain Time) on the 7th subscription day. Refunds are subject to return of goods. Please allow a reasonable time for the refund to reach you or be charged back to your account. All other subscriptions, including monthly subscriptions, quarterly subscriptions, initial annual subscriptions after the 7 days or annual renewals may be canceled by you at any time but no refund will be made for unused subscription periods.

The T&C's relating to cancellation are pretty much the same throughout the different sites (.com, .AU and .uk).
            Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 15-01-09, 11:43.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Oh Darn it! I do like a bargain, and this sounded a really good one!

**sigh**

Bee.
              Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
              COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                Oh Darn it! I do like a bargain, and this sounded a really good one!

**sigh**

Bee.

Right place wrong time Bee:(

You could be in my situation though, my sub expired in December, i cancelled the continous renewal a week before but even at the current price i daren't take the offer!!

And nobody has paid my surcharge (finding fee) yet, till they do i can't take advantage of the offer either:(:(:(

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Well thank you Glen in your tinsel knickers.
                  I haven't subscribed to Ancestry for 2 years now, and was recently toying with the idea of rejoining them some time this year.
                  I've gone the whole hog...went for the World Heritage....including the 22$ tax it works out at £78, according to my conversion chart.
                  I love a bargain.

Cheers and many thanks again, Glen.
                  Karen x

Comment

Another bump for the night viewers.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Trying to persuade OH that we need to do this. I want the world wide sub as he has rellies in USA and I need to check passenger lists.

Our Ancestry sub ends in early March. Trouble is he doesn't seem to be listening.

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
                        Trying to persuade OH that we need to do this. I want the world wide sub as he has rellies in USA and I need to check passenger lists.

Our Ancestry sub ends in early March. Trouble is he doesn't seem to be listening.
                        best keep my name out of it then Margaret, he already has reservations about me anyway:D

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I haven't told him that the thread was from you Glen.

Comment

I didn't get round to it today ..... but I've just had a look on the site and can't see the UK Parish Records. I don't need any records from abroad but I'm quite willing to get the World one if the Parish Records are on..... can anyone tell me please.

Jean
                            Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Comment

UK Heritage includes the British Parish Records.
                              Tracy

Comment

Thankyou Tracy
                                Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Comment

Cheers Glen, FTF supershopper

or should I say "Good on ya, cobber!"

I've just gone and done the deal, I forgot about it the other night.

World Heritage Collection Membership
                                  Initial Annual Membership Fee: AUD $149.98
                                  TAX: AUD $22.50
                                  Total Due Today: AUD $172.48

Xe.com gave this cost Live rates at 2009.01.16 11:42:04 UTC 11.45 GMT
                                  172.48 AUD = 78.3853 GBP
                                  Australia Dollars 1 AUD = 0.454460 GBP United Kingdom Pounds 1 GBP = 2.20041 AUD
                                  Last edited by GallowayLass; 16-01-09, 11:02.

Comment

I've just taken advantage of this offer - AUS$86.23 in total. £35.44 according to Google currency converter(UK Heritage)

Thought I would have to log into Ancestry Aus, but I'm back into .co.uk with no problem.

Thanks Glen.
                                    Last edited by Helen Smith Too; 16-01-09, 15:49. Reason: Put proper price in
                                    Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Thanks for the replies, nice to see the amounts including tax and the converted price added too.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Done it.

Went for the world heritage.

UK Ancestry expires in early March and the basic one is over £80.

Just paid

Initial Annual Membership Fee:
                                        AUD $149.98
                                        Tax:
                                        AUD $22.50
                                        Total:
                                        AUD $172.48

Converts to £78.69

Comment

Hi all ... the offer ends midnight AEST 8th February, 2009

my Ancestry subs run out mid-April ....!
                                          Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Comment

Working...
                                          X