Help with my granddad please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aha! I reckon this might be them in 1891, although it's hard to read:

Ann G?, 21 and Alice (or Alicia?) G?, 3?, both born Walsall, inmates at Walsall Workhouse. Ann is single; occupation backer? and filer. The name's transcribed by Ancestry as Groenitts, but looking at the image, it might be Groucutt.

Class: RG12; Piece: 2256; Folio 128; Page 9
    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 10-01-09, 10:32.

Comment

gosh mary, you should be a detective :D

it does sound very promising especially the workhouse thing. Granddad could have meant his step sisters living in home and not him?

if this is them, is there any mention of Alfred? I got his birth certificate and his parents are shown as thomas and jane young?

deb

Comment

If I'm right, Alfred was born in 1897 with the surname Groucott (see post # 10), so he wouldn't be with Alice and Ann in 1891, and he's with Walter and Sarah in 1901.

You could try contacting the Staffs Record Office to see if they have the Walsall workhouse records.

Comment

Information about Walsall Workhouse here:

Walsall Workhouse and Poor Law Union

The records are held by Local History Centre

Comment

Mary, you are an absolute star.
            Re alfred, i was thinking straight re ages etc LOL.
            thank you, i hope it is warmer where you are than in north yorkshire. extreemly cold today.

deb

Comment

Well, I don't guarantee it's correct, but it seems plausible.

If you get the birth cert for Alice, there's probably no father listed. Alfred's might be interesting, because Walter may already have been on the scene.

Still can't find a marriage, though.

Originally posted by autumnfall View Post
              thank you, i hope it is warmer where you are than in north yorkshire. extreemly cold today.
              It was -7°C when I went out at 8 a.m.. The temperature's now shot up to a sweltering +4°.

The foot or so of snow that fell over Christmas and New YEar still hasn't melted because it's too cold, and a minimum temp. of -12° is forecast for the next few days.

So think yourself lucky

Comment

i thought you would be a bit warmer than us, but i think you are just a little bit colder. No snow here though. :-)

I got a cert yesterday for alfred born 10 may 1897 but it is a diff ref to the one you have given. I may go for that one also.

thanks again.

deb

Comment

Your cert was presumably for an Alfred Young. I would definitely go for the Groucutt one.

It gets quite cold here because we're near the Alps, at an altitude of nearly 400 m (1200 ft).

Comment

Originally posted by norwayjane View Post
                    occupation reads what looks like Heaver?? which has been corrected to collier
                    More likely "hewer", which is the verb for digging coal. "Collier" will be what they wrote on afterwards when classifying occupations.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hi Deb, Mary from Italy gave me your name, my friend Ann Breton MS. Grocutt had seen this add but could not get onto FamilyTree. She has asked me to contact you as I am on it. Her Grandad was Alfred Grocutt b Walsall 1897, Parents on marriage cert were Walter Grocutt & Sarah Ann Young, from original cert. She also has Alfred's death cert & army records, which I had helped her get. So I think it would be beneficial for you both to get in touch, much info between you could be exchange.
                      Hope to hear from you by return

Harry.

Comment

Originally posted by bighaich47 View Post
                        Hi Deb, Mary from Italy gave me your name, my friend Ann Breton MS. Grocutt had seen this add but could not get onto FamilyTree. She has asked me to contact you as I am on it. Her Grandad was Alfred Grocutt b Walsall 1897, Parents on marriage cert were Walter Grocutt & Sarah Ann Young, from original cert. She also has Alfred's death cert & army records, which I had helped her get. So I think it would be beneficial for you both to get in touch, much info between you could be exchange.
                        Hope to hear from you by return

Harry.
                        I am afraid that Deb has not been on the site for some time and we have no means of contacting her as her email address is not current.
                        Caroline
                        Caroline's Family History Pages
                        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Caroline, Thankyou very much for notifying me on this.

Harry.

Comment

Working...
                          X