Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having a lot of trouble with my Great grandparents marriage. Can anyone help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• or Hever?
    Rose

Comment

• I've just been looking at Ancestry's tips for reading handwriting and it definitely looks like the H on there. If you look at the 'a' in James it is very loose and the loop doesn't join; could the second letter in the surname be an a too?
      Rose

Comment

• Looks like Hewer to me

Comment

• I've been trying all those names, but I can't find any in the right sort of place.

Comment

• I think it is James ALLEN and maybe Caroline's brother/father/cousin.

What is th A for Alfred like on the cert . Do you know Merry?
            Last edited by Katarzyna; 19-01-09, 19:54.
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

• From memory Caroline Pidding's father was James Allen and he lived nextdoor to her in 1881. I am having trouble forcing my brain to make that read Allen though!! The A for Alfred was one of these:

a

only a bit taller!

Comment

• I can post it up tomorrow, but the desktop is switched off at the mo and that's where it is!

Comment

• Not that it helps, but I also think it looks like Hewer.
                  Jenny

Comment

• There's a James Hewer in Camberwell in 1891 married to Harriet Tinniswood. IN 1881 and 1871 he's not with his parents (if I'm looking at the right one!)

I should think the name Hewer is ripe for mistranscription!

Comment

• Can you compare the first letter with the 'S' for Sarah, is the name Stover, Stower or Stewer?
                      Last edited by Jammy Dodger; 20-01-09, 05:13.

Comment

• Here's the sigs again and than an example of an A in Alfred and S in Spinster (don't worry, Alfred Younger wasn't a spinster!!)

There are no capital Hs on the cert, unfortunately.

Comment

• It does look like James St.... something...now that you have shown the word spinster it looks like the swirl on the second letter of the surname is T not a part of the first letter like I thought.

I have stared at it so long my eyes have gone funny.

Comment

• I do think it is 'St' I would generally expect the upper loop on first stroke of an 'H' to go to the left rather than the right

Comment

• Maybe he's just a friend?!! lol

I've been entering all the suggested names as marriage partners for Bray, Younger, Edmunds etc. Nothing sensible has turned up.

Comment

• hope i've done this right. jst to give a couple more comparisons for the H
                                EDI.x.

Comment

• Originally posted by Englishedith View Post

hope i've done this right. jst to give a couple more comparisons for the H
                                  EDI.x.
                                  not worked
                                  i've saved it to desk top and also put onto photobucket the latter has not worked. what should i try next?

Comment

• I followed the link to the PRONI site and under Ulster Covenant in name search i put Ranshaw it came up with Cranshaw but i had a look at the document to see what it contained.
                                    It shows women putting their details in their own hand writing. there's a couple of H surnames to use as a good comparison for sandra's thread..
                                    If you want to look at it .
                                    EDI

Comment

• Hello,

Thank you all very much for the time and effort you put in while i've been away. I've had a lot of things going on over the last month, and have had to move house unexpectedly, so I have only had sporadic access to the internet at best. This is to say that I'm back on line, and any ionformation you need I should be able to access.

Thanks merry for putting on the signatures for the witnesses.

Best wishes,

Sandra x

Comment

Working...
                                      X