No announcement yet.

1911 census beta test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just sent them feedback that I thought it was too expensive.
    Joy

Comment

• I completed the questionnaire/survey thing when only 4 counties were available, and found the only person I wanted almost straight away, so was fairly positive about it.
      I have sent them an email, though saying how disappointed I was that they did the same predictable routine of pandering to the south and totally ignoring the north - just like ever other release.
      When I made this comment earlier in this thread, someone replied that the major conurbations were supposed to be being given priority - maybe, but obviously not the northern ones. Still lose out to those well known hubbubs of activity - Cornwall, Suffolk etc....
      Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

• Helen

Yes, I always understand the "major conurbations" to be London, then Manchester, lol!

I am now biting my nails, wondering if they are having "problems" with Lancashire and that's why it didn't appear in the beta test!

OC

Comment

• Originally posted by Helen Smith Too View Post
          I have sent them an email, though saying how disappointed I was that they did the same predictable routine of pandering to the south and totally ignoring the north - just like ever other release.
          They have made a statement on the 1911 blog site that the reason for this is that they have been scanning and transcribing in order of National Archives catalogue piece numbers which is how the documents are stored at the National Archives.
          Elaine

Comment

• * waits for stampede on TNA catalogue to subside *

Will they be releasing everything at once, do you think? To me it seems to be about half done so will they wait until everything is transcribed or fix the problems that have been discovered during the test period and release what is done so far and add counties as they are complete?
            Kit

Comment

• Well, I didn't get my invite and as today is the last day I doubt very much that I will :(:(:(

I shall just have to wait until the official release - At times like this I wish I had more patience!!!!

Happy New Year All!!!!

Comment

• I've got 100 credits left. But I'll wait now until the actual release in 2009.

It was great to see the Census early.

Comment

• Well I've got 52 left not much use to me until it goes live I have a FMP subscription.

Found a lot of people and have filled an awful lot of gaps but still my Grandfather, Grandmother and Uncle Freddy nowhere to be found.

Knowing my grandfather and the stories I've heard tell he probably refused to fill it in and gave them their marching orders! :D

But it was certainly good to see the 1911 census a nice Christmas surprise.

Comment

• Sorry to ask probably a silly question but do we know when in 2009 it is released?
                    Jen

Comment

• Well they say on their site the first half of 2009 but they still have a load to scan and transcribe it seems. So I wouldn't expect anything until June. I might be wrong I hope I am.

Comment

• Thanks Maggie. Probably be to expesive for me or i will have my hands tied up with 2 little ones, but worth knowing incase i do get those few mins to spare!!
                        Jen

Comment

• Important information on the Census blog:
                          1911census.co.uk blog

Remember to print transcripts, save original pages
                          December 30th, 2008

Just a quick note to remind you that you will not be able to access transcripts or images of original pages you have paid for until the site comes back online at the full launch later in 2009.

Therefore please make sure that you print out transcripts and original pages, or download them to your computer, if you want to work on them in the coming months. Everyting that you have paid for is listed in the “My Records” area.

Once the site is properly launched, you will be able to access any records used during the beta period through the “My Records” area. And of course any credits remaining on your account will be available to spend either on 1911census.co.uk or findmypast.com.
                          Elaine

Comment

Working...
                          X