1911 census beta test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
    i have been looking through and found the only two that i have in london.

however i have not paid to view anything yet because it says that the credits can be used to view fmp as well.

what concerns me is that i have a years sub to fmp and am worried that if i buy the credits they will use them when i view fmp. i cant find anything that says this won't happen.

the 49.95 for 600 credits means i will only be able to see 20 originals, or obviously less images if i look at the transcript 1st.. going to have to search really carefully before viewing as this is going to be real expensive game. :(

please excuse lower case typing.

ps
    they show you a sample on the site of the transcript and the origial page. it looks fantastic as you seethe whole page. however if the household was big you will have to see a second page in the transcripts which will cost you another 10 credits. however for the original ..30 cr.. you see everything. it includes marriage age and how many children they had irrespective of whether they are in that particular household. therefore you would know whether or not to look for another sibling elsewhere.
    No they don't I had 10 credits left when I bought a subscription last year and I still have them so I can use them for the 1911 now. Not that 10 count for much for the 1911!!! You just need to make sure your credits last longer than your sub so you can use them when it runs out or of course for the 1911.

And anyway it probably won't matter because even when FMP has it they will still require credit buying I really don't think that it will be with the normal subscription packages.

Comment

If they introduced a scheme whereby you get a credit everytime you report a mistranscription I'd be happy!
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Kat, I am certain that they wouldn't use your credits to pay for something you have access to in your sub anyway, but if you want to be sure then you could register with the 1911 site using a different email address - assuming you have a spare one - and make sure not to log onto findmypast with that one of course!
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Does anyone know if this is going to be free to view at Kew, in the way that Ancestry is?
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
            If they introduced a scheme whereby you get a credit everytime you report a mistranscription I'd be happy!
            Email them asn ask them ? ;) worth a go just to see what they say

Comment

Not sure I should post this but this is information on the about the 1911 census. I daren't post the link because I have the beta link.

Findmypast credits and user names work on the 1911 census

1911 census .co.uk is a PayAsYouGo site, and customers who have already registered under an email address on findmypast.com can use their sign in details and PayAsYouGo credits across both sites.

This means you’ll be able to view records from each census from 1841 to 1911, plus many more essential family history records, by purchasing just a single package of PayAsYouGo credits.

Later, the 1911 census will also appear on findmypast.com, which will then be the only family history site to offer the 1911 census as part of a subscription package, providing unlimited access to the records for a fixed annual fee.

Comment

I think I'll invest my christmas present money in FMP rather than Ancestry, and wait till they get to the Yorkshire, 1911's

Comment

Oh, Ive just come in (a bit tipsey from the party) and Ive got an invite to test it too - woo hoo.

Comment

Oh DOH, even though they sent my invite to my email addy when I try to buy credits they are saying that I dont exist :( Ive try to re register and they say "someone has already registered with that email addy grrr)

Comment

has anyone worked out how to search using a wildcard yet?
                      Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

I've just been testing the site - with credits I'd forgotten that I had! :o However on the email questionaire I did say that it wasn't at all clear how much in cash I was paying to view the either transcript or original doc - (although the original doc was worth to see my Pa). Not all the house numbers on streets are there e.g 55 Algernon Road Lewisham is but not 163 (which was still standing in 1905!)
                        Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

Oh this is maddening. They send me and invite and then wont let me buy credits :(

OK, I re registered as a new person and oh, blimey this is going to cost a fortune isnt it!! Some mysteries already - why is my gran not living at home in 1911?? What is she doing in Chelsea?
                          Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 19-12-08, 23:31.

Comment

I'd like to know how to use wildcards too, and I would like to be able to search without putting the surname in at all.

Ooh, I've just found my 2xg-grandfather Walter Horner Brown, middle name transcribed as Wurnes!

Don't forget to fill in the survey, everyone, so they know what improvements to make before it goes fully live.
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Looking at the transcription for Walter's household, every person (of 6) has at least one transcription error. Now I can see that Horner or Murlis might not be such an easy name to get right, but Ramselen instead of Ramsden? And birthplaces like "Serrey", "Middlesex Wackney" etc are reminiscent of ancestry.
                              KiteRunner

Comment

Kate

Oh, gawd! I had really hoped that the transcriptions would have been better than Ancestry, but of course, they were done abroad....at this stage of the game, and in view of how relatively expensive this is, they really should award credits for corrections don't you think?

OC

Comment

Well, I have eliminated the following for being the wildcard

! @ £ $ % ^ & ( ) _ + - = ± § ~ ` < > , . " { } [ ] : ; / \ | ¡ € # ¢ ∞ § ¶ • ª º – ≠

With all of the above it ignores the character and just searches on whatever letters you've inputed before it

With * and ? it doesn't know what you're doing and returns no hits

I've run out of special characters on my keyboard
                                  Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Gawd its expensive isnt it and I only just worked out if I click on report an error I can see the address (when I just use the transcript).

Thats my first 60 units gone. But some interesting stuff there, very interesting. See my great grandad married for a third time, dirty old devil, still producing kids in 1911 at the age of 63!

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
                                      Thats my first 60 units gone. But some interesting stuff there, very interesting. See my great grandad married for a third time, dirty old devil, still producing kids in 1911 at the age of 63!
                                      lol ! BUT is that a new info find tonight ? :p

Comment

I've found a few more............

On Directs : My Grandfather aged 11 - obviously he'll be with his mother (who I also found) - his father had died just a few weeks earlier than when the Census was taken............so that should give me her writing.

I've also found a cousin of my Great Grandfather - and my GGG Grandmother as well.

And also a sister and her family of my Great Grandmother (as mentioned above).

Not bad indeed. Not spent any dosh on credits as yet....................

Comment

Interesting how it states how long they have been married - I wonder why they added that as a question?

Comment

Working...
                                          X