further info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• further info

I'm fairly new at this so I need some help.
    In the BMD indexes when you have the Volume & page # where can you use those #'s to acquire more info?

For example my grandparents marriage record:
    they are vol 8e page 1083
    I know that the 8e represents Lancashire but how do I get further info?

You can use the information found in the index to order certificates.
    The central place to order from is the General Register Office
    General Register Office (GRO) - Official information on births, marriages and deaths
    - cost £7 each.
    The information you need is:
    Name
    Year
    Quarter
    District
    Volume
    Page No.

If you are ordering from the GRO, and you have the information given above, then make sure you tick the box on the first page which says you have the full GRO reference, otherwise you will be charged £10 instead of £7.

Certificates can also be ordered from some local Record offices.

If you google, beware of other sites which offer to provide certificates - the charges are always higher than the General Register Office, to the point of being extortionate in some case.
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 06-12-08, 09:02.
    Elaine

Comment

The GRO index also tells you the name of the district and you can look that up on GENUKI to find out what places were included in that district.

If they married in Lancashire, then the marriage may also be listed on
      Lancashire Births Marriages & Deaths
      and if so then it will tell you the church or register office where they got married.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

If you show us a few examples, I'm sure one of us will guide you through the process. One trap for the unwary that hasn't been mentioned is that each quarter of every year stands alone. The page numbering starts afresh every quarter, and the birth, marriage and death registers are also entirely separate from each other.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Another thing to watch out for is that the Quarters represent the date the Birth, Marriage or Death was Registered, and not necessarily when the event took place. For example a child born at the end of this month would be recorded in the March Quarter Volume of next year.
          Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

If you're looking at Free BDM FreeBMD Home Page if in the results you click on the number (not the district) it will give the names of others registered on that page.

ie marriage free BDM will give all the couples married under that reference and then its a case of matching them up.

Clicking on the district reference will give you the names of places included in that district.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

You may also be able to pick up info for the marriage here: Lancashire Births Marriages & Deaths

That would be the website of the Local Register Office. If it were a church wedding, then they'll probably give the name of the church. You could use that info to obtain a photocopy of the Parish Register entry from the local Records/Archives Office (≠ Register Office!). That is the source information for a normal certificate, but would have all the original handwriting/signatures of the parties to the event.

Unfortunately, GRO recently "stuck their oar in" and decreed that all such copies issued by Archives/Records Offices would have to be formally certified and then charged for at the same rate as a GRO cert (i.e. £7), instead of just the cost of a photocopy. If you're lucky, there may be someone who has time and inclination to go into the relevant Records Office and get you a photocopy/print-out of the relevant page, and that would cost only the photocopy price, plus any incidental expenses.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Kite Runner & Christine, Through your links to Lancashire BMD I found the marriage record.

Alfred Clayton married Fanny Maud Hawkins @ Preston, St Marks in 1911

Randy

Comment

Working...
                X