No announcement yet.

What became of Samuel and Eliza Stokes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What became of Samuel and Eliza Stokes?

May I have your ideas please? This couple appear to have vanished without trace in the record after Samuel registered the birth of baby William on 27 July 1900. I have checked for possible deaths for Eliza betwen June 1900 and March 1901, but didn’t find a likely entry.

What I have is:

1. The marriage cert. of Samuel Stokes, bachelor, aged 19, labourer, of 24 Canrobert Street, Bethnal Green (father Samuel Stokes, turner), and Eliza Harrison, spinster, aged 18, of 26 Canrobert Street, Bethnal Green (father John Harrison, boot finisher) on June 2 1884, at the Parish Church of St Jude, Bethnal Green.

2. This family on the 1891 census, RG12/282/67/20, resident 7 Minto Place, Bethnal Green.:

head Samuel Stokes, age 28, bricklayer, born Bethnal Green
    wife Eliza do. age 25, born Hackney
    son Samuel do. age 6, born Bethnal Green
    son John do. age 4, born Hackney Rd. [one side of which is in Bethnal Green]
    daughter Eliza do. age 2, born do.

3. The birth cert of William Stokes, born 18 June 1900 at 22 Satchwell Street, Bethnal Green, mother Eliza Stokes formerly Harrison, father Samuel Stokes, builder’s labourer, birth registered by S. Stokes, father, of same address, on 27 July 1900.

4. This family on the 1901 census, all born in Bethnal Green, RG13/284/33/58, resident 22 Emma Street, Bethnal Green:

head H Stokes, age 42, bricklayer
    [Possible birth Henry Stokes Jun 1859 Bethnal Green 1c252, cert not seen]
    wife Jane do. age 37
    son Samuel do. age 16, French polisher
    son John do. age 14 Errand boy
    daughter Eliza do. age 12

daughter Elizabeth do. age 6
    daughter Florence do. age 3
    son William do. age 9 months

5. Just to confuse things, there is a Henry Stokes married to Jane, both born and living in Bethnal Green, who appear in both the 1891 and the 1901 census with their children, but he was a tea warehouseman and she a fancy box maker. However, I have not been able to find another H Stokes in the 1891 census who might be the 1901 head of family!

It looks from the 1901 census as though the children, including the baby, were then in the care of a slightly older couple most likely related to Samuel - too many coincidences to be otherwise, surely? Unless the parents had changed their first names and added a bit to their ages, but why would they do that?

This information Crown Copyright, from The National Archives of the United Kingdom

I've been looking for Samuel in 1871 and 1881 with no success whatsoever :(

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
      I've been looking for Samuel in 1871 and 1881 with no success whatsoever :(
      Thank you very much for looking, Merry, I've had no luck either. Before I had their marriage cert I thought he might just have been the son of Matthew S Stokes, turner, in 1881, but glass blower to builder's labourer/bricklayer seems a pretty unlikely job change.

Comment

Hi Roger,

I have a Henry Stokes in my tree, I don't think he is connected to your Henry but I have found him on one census as Harry Stokes and I have found the name mistranscribed as Stoker, just a thought that possibly you haven't looked for Harry instead of Henry, you most probably have.

Regards,

Barbara

Comment

Hi Roger,

Just been checking the marriage cert of my Henry Stokes, his father was Samuel Stokes a turner, so possibly a connection somewhere?

Barbara

Comment

I am off to bed now so not ignoring any reply. Will check in tomorrow night.

Barbara

Comment

Could be a mistake by the enumerator, I suppose. Maybe he mixed two entries up or something? Have you looked for births / baptisms for Elizabeth and Florence to check that they had the same parents as the other children?
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Having looked at the census page, I wonder whether Samuel and Eliza and family were staying / living with H Stokes and Jane - it looks as though H Stokes might well be Samuel's brother - and the enumerator was supposed to write Samuel senior's details after Jane (then Eliza), but when he copied the name Samuel down, then looked back at the original form, he continued from Samuel jr's details instead of Samuel sr?
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thank you KR. I have index refs for Florence Victoria born Sep¼ 1897 and Elizabeth born Dec¼ 1892, both in Bethnal Green, which would more or less fit, but haven't seen the certs.

Thank you too for your numerator's error theory. I wonder why the head is described as just "H" ? Perhaps H had filled in the form and simply written his signature as the head?

Re Samuel having a brother Henry, please see my reply to Barbara below.

Comment

Barbara, I have looked on the gedcom and see your Henry was born at Hoxton in 1869. Could this possibly have been Bethnal Green? The two places are very close.

The reason I ask is that the household of Matthew S Stokes in 1881 which I mentioned in post 3 above has a son Henry aged 11 which would have made him born 1869 or 1870. (Matthew S was a turner too - perhaps he was Matthew Samuel and preferred his second name?).

It would also have made him 31 in 1901, not 42, but as KR says, it could be that the enumerator was in a bit of a muddle.

The census ref for Matthew S is RG11/414/120/95.

I'm off to bed now too. Goodnight all

Comment

John Harrison

Hi Roger,

No doubt you've solved this query by now? Re John Harrison from your query above - he is my g-great grandfather (Eliza's sister Mary is my great grandmother). Happy to share my tree with you if you'd like to compare notes. Come to think of it - Mary married Edward Emms and 2 of their sons appear to have vanished around the time your ancestors did. Family lore has it that they emigrated - but I haven't researched that yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X