What shall we put in the box ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What shall we put in the box ?

This isn't really a research question, but you may be able to help.
    My daughter has to put together a "memory box" for a WW1 Soldier for history lessons. We have got an old shoe box that we will cover with brown paper and we have already put in an old 1912 penny and 2 1914 halfpennies, one old cufflink and a broach. We thought that maybe some old photographs and a book as well.
    Can anyone think of anything else that a "Tommy" may have had with him that I can easily get.

Thanks.
    Julie

Smile, it confuses people.

A bible?
    Rosi

We are the famous CFC

Comment

Good idea. We have a small editon of the Gideon bible that will fit.
      Julie

Comment

They used to carry their own spoons, if you think about it, in the trenches that was a very important item. and sometimes they would sharpen the handles to dig with.

Comment

Thanks Barbara,
          The spoon is in the box.
          Just found an old key that can go in as well
          Last edited by Jules; 28-11-08, 17:07.
          Julie

Comment

an old worn down pencil, a comb

Comment

Somewhere on a service record I have a list of effects from a soldier admitted to hospital, it included several of the things already mentioned and a pipe and a letter.

Comment

Well, he would have some ciggies in there and a box (or book) of matches - maybe you could have some fake ones?

Cut throat razor?? lol

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                  Somewhere on a service record I have a list of effects from a soldier ....
                  I have a service record which lists the soldier´s possessions which were returned to his widow - consisted of 4 handkerchiefs, letters and a cap badge.
                  Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                    I have a service record which lists the soldier´s possessions which were returned to his widow - consisted of 4 handkerchiefs, letters and a cap badge.
                    My man was lucky - he recovered and went home to his wife.

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas. I think a visit to a charity shop may be in order.
                      It has made my daughter think about how hard it must have been for anyone in the trenches during that very difficult time, and how little each man had to remind him of home.

Thank you.
                      Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Jules View Post
                        Thanks for all the ideas. I think a visit to a charity shop may be in order.
                        It has made my daughter think about how hard it must have been for anyone in the trenches during that very difficult time, and how little each man had to remind him of home.

Thank you.
                        Whatever a soldier took with him he would have to carry wherever he went. That would make a difference to what he might choose.

A lock of hair of his sweetheart?

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Just an update.

Thank you for all the ideas.

My daughter got an A9 and 2 credits for the box, which was shown to the rest of the class of and example of what could have been used.:D

She has also decided that she will have history as a GCSE option which she will start in September, so I may need advice/help again.

Thanks again.
                          Julie

Comment

Congratulations to your daughter, and a good choice in taking history, ( says she who loves history..:D)

Comment

can you not make an old letter? - cover a sheet of white a4 paper with tea/coffee leave on a radiator to dry and then get a fountain pen and write in "fancy" script a letter to him from his wife/mother/girlfriend etc
                              **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

Congrats to your daughter!

I think history came alive to me much more once it started to have a specific link - as in family history.

Christine
                                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                                X