Hot Air Balloon Contest, France 1930's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Air Balloon Contest, France 1930's

During the late 1920's, early 1930's my late mother and grandmother lived in France. The town/village where they lived at one point was seemingly famous for its Hot Air Balloon Competion.

Does anyone have any idea where it might have been please?

Thanks
    Joan died in July 2020.

Muggins

Seems to be more than one French town famous for its balloon races!

Annonay in the Ardeche has an annual celebration of the first ever hot air balloon. Also Puy en Velay. But, as I said, more than one possibility.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC - I forgot to say that I suspect the place is near one of the Channel ports:o

I found a photo of it during one of my surreptitious rummages, but the photo is in Dorset and I am in Sussex - I may have to accidentally borrow it next time I am in Dorchester! :o
      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

I live quite near the channel ports and hot-air ballooning is quite popular around here so it would be difficult to pinpoint any particular place. Perhaps if you got in touch with an association, they might be able to help. The official name for an enthusiast is an 'aerostier'
        CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Thanks for that, Carole - That is very helpful

I have been trying to remember things of old, and somehow the name Wimereux (sp?) has suddenly sprung into my mind - will look into that

Thanks again
          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

You have the correct spelling. That would fit the bill. It's between Boulogne and Calais in the Cap Gris Nez, Cap Blanc Nez area which is famous for Blériots cross channel flight
            CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Oooh, thanks, Carole - looks like my memory was right for once!:D

Will try to get my hands on the photo

Thank you
              Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Did you find the photo?
                It would have been a Gas Balloon Meet in the 1930's, not Hot Air.
                There were lots of flights undertaken from Paris about that time. But Wimereux is unlikely to be a regular location as it is so near the coast with the possibility of being blown out to sea.
                Belgium and the Netherlands also had a number of balloon races in the 1930's.
                JAB

Comment

Working...
                X