• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $149.95=£64.74 2day for Ancestry.au site

:DMy 14 free trial ends 19th Nov.

Have asked hubby for an early xmas pressie,
    it's the Annual U.K. Heritage collection at the above price
    So lots to keep me happy on the long winter evenings.
    Regards
    EDI.X.

Be careful because someone on here mentioned the other day that when they checked the payment on their credit card VAT had been added.
    Elaine

Comment

It was Orangeblossom - see post #36 onwards on this thread
      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
        It was Orangeblossom - see post #36 onwards on this thread
        http://www.familytreeforum.com/resea...-how-much.html

Elaine ,Thanks,
        I thought it was called Goverment tax in Oz
        Just been on holiday there to attend No 2 sons wedding. and on quite a few things we had to pay GT like when you hire a car
        But will check my statement to see what i get charged and let all know.
        Edi.x.

Comment

Edith, you will get charged the correct tax for your country. If you live in the UK, it will be 17.5%. If you live in Australia there should be no tax added as the price should include it - don't quote me on that though, Ancestry have a mind of their own!
          Tracy

Comment

Do let us know what they charge you. I have cancelled husbands free trial.
            My ancestry sub finishes on the 30th and I can't decide what to do.
            I have sent a message, on Saturday, to the Au site but no answer so far.
            If it's to be, it's up to me.
            Searching for:
            English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

We have 10% GST (goods and services tax) on Ancestry, but it should be part of the price quoted. By law here if the product has GST attached (not all products do), it should be included in the price. So you can't quote "$20 + GST" you must use $22.

Ancestry, if quoted in Aus $ should include 10% GST, so I wonder if that gets taken off and your VAT added instead.

Might be worth checking as you don't need to pay two lots of tax.

Comment

I paid 2 lots then :(
                I paid 176.19, which is 149.95 + 17.5%

This worked out to be about £78
                Last edited by Orangeblossom; 18-11-08, 21:14.
                Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by Orangeblossom View Post
                  I paid 2 lots then :(
                  I paid 176.19, which is 149.95 + 17.5%

This worked out to be about £78
                  There are 3 different subscriptions on UK Ancestry now.
                  £107.40 Premium is the middle one,
                  equivalent to the
                  UK Heritage on Oz site which as you say OB is £78 or thereabouts , so a great saving.

While i've been using the free trial i have access to everything i had on the previous UKsite everything is still stored in my shoebox as i left it ect.
                  Just google Ancestry .au and do exactly the same as you would to join the UK site.
                  Jeanie, Hope you get a reply soon .
                  EDI.x.

Comment

I will have my statement in this next week so will be able to tell you what they have charged me ;;;
                    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Englishedith View Post
                      :DMy 14 free trial ends 19th Nov.

Have asked hubby for an early xmas pressie,
                      it's the Annual U.K. Heritage collection at the above price
                      So lots to keep me happy on the long winter evenings.
                      Regards
                      EDI.X.
                      Sorry...Ancestry.com.au is the correct one. EDI.x.

Comment

Tracy you shouldn't be charged twice for the tax - its either GST or VAT. I'd approach ancestry to query that. However when I buy things from overseas I do get charged a currency conversion fee so have you checked if that happend?
                        Kit

Comment

Rod has received an email today from au.
                          Yes, you will be charged tax.
                          No mention of how much!!
                          Searching for:
                          English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

I called them up yesterday, a little annoyed at all the confusion.
                            I spoke to an American guy, who answered the UK freephone number.

He said that since something happened (wasn't sure what or when) they started adding tax to all internet orders that didn't origitate in the country they were supposed to. He said they had brought down the proce of the 'World' subscription to make it fairer (??) for everyone.

He said that he could see on my account that tax had been added to the price to bring it to 176.19.

He also said there was nothing he could do, except cancel my subscription. I didn't think to ask him if I'd get any money back from it. Might ring them later to find out lol
                            Tracy

Comment

Originally posted by Orangeblossom View Post

He said that since something happened (wasn't sure what or when) they started adding tax to all internet orders that didn't origitate in the country they were supposed to.
                              I wonder what that's supposed to mean?

He said that he could see on my account that tax had been added to the price to bring it to 176.19.
                              Yes, that's what they did with mine. But Australian GST is 10%, I believe, whereas they added 17.5%.

I don't object too much to the actual price, because the sub gives me more data than I was actually getting with the UK site (I do need the Aus. databases).

However, I object to the principle that they're adding a hidden charge that purchasers haven't agreed to (apparently).

I've also had an exchange of e-mails with them. The first time they said the difference was "taxes". When I then queried whether they were entitled to charge taxes, particularly without any mention on the website, they said "we have no control over taxes", which is presumably untrue as some people in the UK have said they haven't been added to their payments.

Comment

I wonder if the pre tax people were before I phoned up ancestry and asked for my offered discount for the au site!!
                                At some stage someone must have realized the disparity of the costs.
                                Searching for:

Comment

Yes, I'm sure that's what's happened, but they should come clean about the real price on the website.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                    I don't object too much to the actual price, because the sub gives me more data than I was actually getting with the UK site (I do need the Aus. databases).

However, I object to the principle that they're adding a hidden charge that purchasers haven't agreed to (apparently).
                                    This is what gets me too. When I spoke to the guy on the phone, I told him to make a note to whoever it was who put the prices on the web that they should include the fact that tax would be charged.
                                    Tracy

Comment

Yes, I've said the same to them in an e-mail (I politely said I was sure they weren't deliberately misleading people, but in practice people are being misled).

Comment

Working...
                                      X