Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Searching for ancestors of John, Edward HUNTER (1793 - 1850)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for ancestors of John, Edward HUNTER (1793 - 1850)

Hello,

I'm searching for ancestors of "John, Edward HUNTER" (1793 - 1852)

My name is Frank Laherstorfer and I live in Tahiti (French Polynesia). My wife's name is Muriel, Miriama HUNTER and she is a descenent of John E. HUNTER. I'm building the family tree and I could trace the family back to this John Edward HUNTER.
    Here is what I know about him:

Born about 1793 in Yorkshire (UK) he was a sailor and came to Australia and married a "Suzannah FLANAGAN-CHAPMAN" on February 10th 1817 in Sydney (AUSTRALIA). They had 12 children and some of them came to French Polynesia and started the HUNTER branch here. As far as I know, John Edward HUNTER was lost on sea about 1852. I have the whole family tree (1.400 entries so far) of the descendents of John Edward HUNTER here in Tahiti, but I'd like to learn more about the ancestors.
    If anybody could help me I'd be pleased to exchange our informations about the HUNTER family.

Kind Regards

Franz Laherstorfer

Hi Franky and welcome to the forum. Could you give us the names of John and Suzannah's children, please? It's just that if we do find any possible baptisms for John, it would be useful to see if the parents' names match his children's names - it was usual for people to name their children after their own parents and other family members in those days so it might give us an indication of whether we may have found the right person.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

And could you tell us how you know he was born in Yorkshire, please? And if you have any more information about the name of the city, town or village where he was born, because Yorkshire is a very big county.

I see there is an entry on the IGI (FamilySearch website) for John Edward Hunter born about 1795 "Comte d'York, Commondale, Yorkshire, England", submitted by a member of the LDS (Mormon) church. I assume "Comte d'York" is French for the county of Yorkshire, and there is at least one place called Commondale in that county, so that might give us a starting point.

It seems to have been fairly common for people who emigrated in those days to give themselves a middle name which they didn't have when they were baptised - so it could be that his name was just John Hunter on his baptism which could make things more difficult.
      KiteRunner

Comment

Looking at the online NSW indexes, there are two entries for John and Susannah's marriage V18172004 3A/1817 and V1817250 7/1817, both district CA. Hopefully one of our Australian experts can explain those codes! Anyway, it just gives his name as John Hunter on the marriage index, with no middle name shown. Do you have a copy of the full marriage entry (or certificate), and if so, what does it say on it, please?

Also his name is just John on the birth entries listed for the children who were born in NSW, so I am thinking the middle name Edward was added to his name later.
        KiteRunner

Comment

looks like they were maried in 1817. when was parents names added to certs in nsw?

Comment

Civil registration in NSW didn't start until 1856. Therefore, the 1817 entry will be from a parish register and as such, is unlikely to have much detail. This is what it says on the NSW BDM site:

"Please note that the Early Church Records of baptisms, burials and marriages (1788 - 1855) only have limited information, usually names of parties, date and place of event."

It would still be worthwhile seeing the original though - but no doubt Franz already has this, as he has given the full date of the marriage in his original post.
            Last edited by Richard in Perth; 11-11-08, 07:44.

Comment

If you search for the name John Hunter on the NSW State Records site:
              http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/

There are lots of matches but most of them will be for other people with the same name, or there isn't enough information on the index to know whether it is your John or not. But this one looks good:

Index to Court of Claims
              Date of Memorial 5 May 1834
              Name John Hunter
              Address Cambridge Street Sydney
              Occupation Master Mariner
              Case Number 683
              Item Number [X13]
              Reel # Reel 1420.

This link should take you to an explanation of what the Court of Claims is all about:
              State Records NSW - Archives in Brief 55
              KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
              X