Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding census to legacy

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone could explain how you add census downloaded from ancestry to legacy?

Hi Ian,
    Do you mean the census as an image or the facts in the census itself?
    Marion
    There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

Hi Marion,
      I want to add the actual census original off ancestry (saves lot's and lot's of typing). I made the mistake of starting my tree without adding it to a program so Im now in the process of adding 7 years of info! so less typing the better.
      Ian

Comment

Hi Ian,
        If you are saving the census original you tell it to save to a specific folder in your files as a jpg. Mine are all saved under My Photos - a separate file for Family Tree, another separate file for the actual surname, another file under the surname for the actual person - with their surname first, their given name, then their RIN no and the year of the census. Everyone has their own filing system but this seems to work for me.
        If I need to fiddle with the image (removing too much black around the edges, making it darker/lighter etc) then I use one of the photo programmes. Then I go into Legacy and attach the photo to the head of the household. Some people like it added to each family member in the census, there are different areas you can put the photo in - the actual event or just under the person.
        Hope some of this helps - I also type the lot in as well!!
        Marion

Comment

Thank's for the help Marion not very good organising my tree info thats why I decided to use legacy.Really need to sort a system for my folders as well how do you organise your record's (on paper ) from one family to the next?
          Ian

Comment

Ian,
            I've changed systems that many times it's amazing I can find anything. I have eventually settled on a system that seems suits me. Each "major" family has a lever arch folder, and each "head of household" has a tabbed divider with his(her) name and RIN no on it. In there everything is filed in date order (birth certs, census, marriage certs, census, death certs etc. The spouse and children are filed in there as well - until they become "heads" - then I set up a new tab divider.
            Minor families are put into one (or rather two or three) lever arch files in alphabetical order.
            Correspondence (the misc type - letters with many names) go into a correspondence folder under the name of the correspondent. Usually there will be a reference on Legacy concerning the correspondence so I can find it fairly quickly (well that's the theory!!)
            At this stage everything is being reorganised (again) into this system - I have filing cabinets full plus tons of other files, folders - plus a suitcase of photos that still have to be worked on. At this rate I can't die before I'm about 120.
            There is a site that gives you ideas of how to organise paperwork - Organize your Paper Files - Legacy Lesson - it looks very interesting but I didn't have the heart to start all over again!!!!:D
            Hope that gives you an idea - I'm sure there will be other suggestions - but it is important to make sure your paperwork is filed - as I have found to my cost over the years!!
            Marion

Comment

Forgot to say, listening to some of the "professional" podcasts some of them seem to like the system where all certificates are kept in one file, all census papers in another, and so forth. Tried that for a while and it didn't work for me - I think it just depends on how your brain works!!
              Marion

Comment

Hello and welcome to FTF Ian.

Thanks for bringing this one up. I have been meaning to add my census images for ages and your post is just the push I needed!

Thanks for the explanation Marion. I'm not sure I have the energy to crop all the black off before adding mine, but adding them as they are will at least force me to settle on a common method of entitling the census images - I have changed my system so many times since I first started!

The first job will be to order a bigger memory stick to back up the multimedia files each time I back up the rest!
                Gillian
                User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Oops - sorry Ian - yes - welcome!!!
                  Hi Gillian,
                  My reason for the cropping was purely economical - I was spending arms and legs on printer inks! I found a way of cropping and straightening - then removing the rest of the black background (there are some bits you can't crop out). Then I found that the darkening etc made it so much easier to read - and then I found out that I could put text on the top as well!!! It made it a lot easier to read and a lot neater than my scribbles and made me try and stick to the same format each time!!
                  It was more of a progression and now it comes naturally to do it each time! I just wish I had started all of this when we first got access to the census on the net!
                  Yes - a bigger memory stick or an external hard drive - I use both I must admit - the sticks now though are quite cheap.
                  Marion

Comment

Marion, I have more or less stopped printing the census images off since transcribing the details to Legacy. I don't have a filing cabinet and my files were just getting too big to fit on the shelves of the desk.

Memory sticks are as low as £10 now for 8GB so, knowing me, I'll probably get two for a belt and braces backup job in case one fails!!
                    Gillian
                    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Thank's for the welcome Marion and Gillian and the advice I will try to reorganise my folders!
                      Ian

Comment

Working...
                      X