Mexico?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexico?

Two of my ancestors are Mary Edith SEATLE (b.1852, Ulverston) and Joseph Hodgson SAWREY (b. 1851, Derbyshire). They married at St Cuthbert’s, Lytham in 1880 and both were living in Ulverston in both 1871 and 1881. Their youngest son, Walter Henry SAWREY, was born in Plimpton in 1890. There is some mystery surrounding their deaths. My distant kin, with whom I have now lost touch, have a possible death for Joseph in San Francisco in 1900, and a definite death for Mary in Puebla, Mexico in 1918. It all seems a bit odd: why emigrate to Mexico of all places, and how did they end up in separate countries? All my research so far has been in the UK and I’m a bit stuck as to where to go from here. Any suggestions?

Thanks, people. I don't know what I'd do without you! :p

Laura

Sorry Laura don't know what to suggest

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

There's a submitted entry on familysearch which suggests your contacts may be right.

If you click on "All resources" and enter the surname Sawrey and the place as Mexico, 4 entries come up, and 3 are in Puebla.

2 of them relate to births, the father being Richard Gordon Sawrey Seatle - and I believe that in Spanish-speaking countries, the mother's and father's surnames were both given to children, so Richard would be the son of a man called Sawrey who married a woman called Seatle. He married a Williams, and his children have the surname Sawrey-Williams.
      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 29-10-08, 03:45.

Comment

No idea whether it's relevant, but there seems to be a place in Mexico called Colonia Seatle (I think Colonia means district in Mexican Spanish).

There's an Anglican church there.

Comment

Might be worth searching the overseas deaths on FindmyPast.

The FMP outgoing passenger lists show a female Sawrey and a male R Sawrey sailing for Veracruz, Mexico in 1906.

The Ancestry incoming passenger lists show a Richard Gordon Saurey aged 37 with his wife and 3 children travelling from Mexico to England in 1919. It looks as though they were only visiting, because their country of intended permanent future residence is shown as "foreign country".

And they're described as "employees, and employees' families, of the Anglo Mexican Oil Company, Puerto Mexico".
          Last edited by Mary from Italy; 29-10-08, 13:47.

Comment

The three children are named on the passenger list as Bryan, Myrtle and Kathlyn, and the wife as Ethel Katherine.

According to the submitted entry on Ancestry, Bryan married in Lancs in 1932 and died in 1976, and two girls, Patricia Myrtle and Wilhelmina, both with parents Richard Gordon Sawrey Seatle and Ethel Katrina Williams, died in British Columbia.

Bryan's named as Bryan Richard Bridson Sawrey, parents not named, so he presumably wasn't the brother of the two girls.

Comment

Marriages Jun 1906
              Sawrey Richard Gordon Marylebone 1a 1171
              Williams Katrine Louise M E Marylebone 1a 1171
              WILLIAMS Katrine Lousie M E Marylebone 1a 1171

Comment

This appears to be Richard's birth:

Births Dec 1881
                SAWREY Richard Gordon Ulverston 8e 774

and the only Richard Sawrey I can see on the censuses has parents James and Sarah.

However, there should be two Richard Sawreys on the censuses, both born Ulverston in 1881, and I can only see one.

I can't find Joseph and Mary on the 1891 and 1901 censuses either - could they have emigrated after Walter was born, or have I missed them?
                Last edited by Mary from Italy; 29-10-08, 05:28.

Comment

The US Social Security death index on familysearch shows Bryan's death in Washington in 1976, if I've understood it correctly, but his social security number was issued in California.

Comment

I've come to a halt there for a moment - it doesn't look, from the censuses, as though James Sawrey and Joseph were brothers, but there seem to be rather a lot of coincidences, so I assume they're connected somehow.

Comment

If it was the 1500s I'd say the Sawreys were trading slaves in Mexico, but don't know about these "modern" lot.......lol

I'm following the thread, though. Have stacks of Sawreys.

Comment

Mary - Wow, thanks for all that. I need to check out your suggestions. I'll get back to you about it later today hopefully.

Harrysmum - We need to do a Sawrey swap! I have loads of them as well.

Laura

Comment

Good heavens. I only did a quick search of the incoming passenger lists last night, but I've just had another look, and Richard Sawrey's back and forth like a yoyo.

There are 6 entries for Richard Gordon or Richard G Sawrey arriving in England from Mexico, Argentina or New York (1905-1932), a different Richard Sawrey (child) arriving much later from New York, 1 for Bryan Richard Sawrey arriving from Costa Rica, 1 for Richard B Sawrey arriving from Equatorial Guinea, and 1 for Richard Buchanan Sawrey Cookson arriving from Africa (the last two are about the same age, and probably the same person).

Nothing for a Joseph or Mary Sawrey of the right age, and no Walter.

There are probably lots more - I've only checked those 3 names so far.

The parents of the Richard born in Ulverston who's on the census appear to be this couple:

Marriages Dec 1880
                          Edmondson Sarah Ulverston 8e 1145
                          Sawrey James Ulverston 8e 1145

so a child of theirs in S. America should have been known as Sawrey-Edmondson.

There's also a record on ancestry.com of a border crossing in 1924 from Mexico to Laredo, Texas, for Richard Sawrey b. 1884 and Ethel K Sawrey. I don't have the Ancestry World sub, so I can't view the image.
                          Last edited by Mary from Italy; 29-10-08, 14:24.

Comment

I wonder what on earth they were doing? Gun-running? The Mexican revolution was on about that time. But I shouldn't think he'd have travelled with his wife in that case.

Comment

There are also another 11 entries on New York Passenger Lists (which you need an Ancestry World sub to view) for Richard G, Richard B, Bryan Richard Bridson Sawrey and Richard Bridson Sawrey Armstrong (presumably Bryan's son).

I should love to know how all this lot are related to Joseph and Mary

Comment

OK, I've finally found something. There are a couple of references on the Ellis Island site to Richard and Ethel K travelling to New York; the first time Richard said he was resident in London, and the second time in Tampico, Mexico.

And there's also a Mrs J H Sawrey of the right age to be Mary Edith, travelling to New York in 1895 together with Richard G Sawrey aged 11. No sign of Joseph or Walter, or any other children they may have had.

Comment

Oh, and Libby, I don't know if I dare mention this, but... I see you have an Agatha Sawrey on your tree - and there's also a Myles Sawrey on the Ellis Island passengers lists, arriving the same year as Richard (1923), but on a different ship. He says he's single and resident in NY.

Comment

Aha - finally found Joseph H Sawrey, on the Castle Garden passenger lists, travelling to the US in 1886, occupation engineer. He seems to have been travelling alone.

Castle Garden

Comment

I'd forgotten you can view the images on the Ellis Island site, which have a lot more information.

Richard is listed as a crew member (supernumerary) of the ship he travelled on with his wife (also a crew member) in 1923. His place of birth is given as Ulverston, and hers as Pretoria. In 1905 he's alone, not on the crew list, occupation "none", destination "in transit".

When Mrs JH Sawrey travels with Richard G in 1895, her destination's shown as California - can't read the name of the town.
                                      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 29-10-08, 17:13.

Comment

Blimey! My head's spinning. Thanks so much. I will get back to you on all this but I need some time to process it all!

Laura

Comment

Working...
                                        X