Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hachioji: Grand Victoria or should that be Higherford Methodist, Barrowford

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
    Not a cemetery request, but should you ever find yourself here anywhere near Hachoji there is a place of Worship from Barrowford Booth parish Lancashire (Higherford Methodist) which was dismantled & rebuilt there in 1996 as a wedding chapel at a hotel & is now known as Great Victoria chapel.
    Above quote taken from my 'Yokohama War Cemetery' thread.

Pictures to follow ...

Outside views:

DSC_0178.jpg DSC_0175.jpg
    DSC_0064.jpg

Comment

Inside Views:

DSC_0071.jpg DSC_0083.jpg
      DSC_0094.jpg
      Last edited by Guest; 20-10-08, 07:21.

Comment

Brilliant................I thought the church my gg grandfather built in Warwick Qld which was dismantled and rebuilt about a mile away was good.....

Comment

A couple of framed letters hanging inside the chapel:

First letter from the Mayor of Hachioji to Mayor Tony Dixon (April 1998).

Second letter from Tony Dixon, Chairman of the Council to the Mayor & Citizens of Hachioji.

DSC_0128.jpg DSC_0129.jpg

Comment

It must have taken a lot of time and expense to dismantle, ship to Japan and put back together again.

I'm presuming it looks exactly the same as it was in Barrowford.

It is situated almost on the bank of a river now. The first picture was taken from the other side of the river. Again, in the first picture, the building to the left is the 'Hachioji Hotel New Grand' to which the chapel now belongs and the conservatory is actually part of a restaurant which goes underneath the chapel.

It looks like many weddings have taken place in the chapel since it was rebuilt. All the married couple's names have been put up on brass plaques hanging from the walls around the chapel. If you look at the 'Inside Views', second picture, you can see some of the plaques.

Comment

fantastic photos John.. :D :D

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
              Raven's Family Tree

Comment

Quote "I'm presuming it looks exactly the same as it was in Barrowford"

It's nearly the same John. Take a look on this page from a website created by the late Jim Sanderson.

OLDEBARROWFORD

The rest of Jim's pages are full of glimpses into the past of that part of north east Lancashire........well worth a read.

Anne

Comment

John - that's wonderful! What a star you are:D

The reason I knew about the rebuild in Japan is because my aunt is a lay preacher at Higherford. They recently had a visit from a Japanese couple who were married in the "old" chapel in Hachioji and when they came to England on holiday made a point of visiting the new one and meeting some of the locals. I'm sure the congregation will be very interested.

Comment

Thanks Anne, I shall take a look at that site.

Hi Jill, I thought you may have a link to the place. Were the Japanese couple on their honeymoon? The building certainly has a lot of character. I wonder if there would be a place on the wiki for a picture of the relocated church, maybe next to the picture that is already there?

Comment

Absolutely! Will you put it in? Or I can if you are busy.

I'd also like to print out the photos and what you had to say about the chapel's location & send it to my aunt if thats ok with you, (she doesn't use computers). Can't thank you enough:D

I expect the couple were honeymooners, I'll have to ask when I phone her next.

Comment

I've added it to the wiki, does it look OK?

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/Lancashire_Towns_and_Parishes_B#Barrowford_Booth

Send away ... :D:D

Comment

Oooh, that's lovely! Thanks

Comment

This thread is a really old one but there is a little utpdate - I sent the pictures of the chapel now in Japan to my aunt back in 2008, yestereday she was telling her cousins who emigrated from Lancashire to Australia on the phone about it as they remember it in it's original location - they are going on holiday to Japan and hope to visit.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                              This thread is a really old one but there is a little utpdate - I sent the pictures of the chapel now in Japan to my aunt back in 2008, yestereday she was telling her cousins who emigrated from Lancashire to Australia on the phone about it as they remember it in it's original location - they are going on holiday to Japan and hope to visit.
                              That's brilliant.

I wonder how John in Japan is.
                              Joy

Comment

Working...
                              X