"Dead baby in parcel" - Hastings Chronicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Dead baby in parcel" - Hastings Chronicle

Further to Mary ... Spain's post, I was looking for my Whites in Hastings when I came across the following:

Dead Baby in Parcel - Hastings Chronicle

What a horrid story! What must she have thought about it all? Why address it to her husband .... The more you think about it, the worse it gets.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Presumably the baby was her husband's? But yes, very horrible indeed.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

How dreadful. Makes me wonder what happened next in the White household and who the poor mother of the child was?

Comment

The horror of finding a dead baby, and then the realisation that the child is probably your husband's would be enough to put the whole household in crisis. I think today's reporting wouldn't gloss over everything ...
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

No that's true. There would be at least a very reasonable chance of determining who was the mother of the child if this happened today. Then there would be the question of how the child died etc etc etc.

There's no Whites at that address in 1881 or 1871 and the child seems to have been registered in Hastings district (Q4 1879 Unknown male aged 0), though I presume he died in London.

Comment

What a dreadful story, but, can you imagine how long it would take the parcel to arrive today. It took 3 hours from London to Hastings then. I should think the poor child would have decomposed these days.
            I also wonder what the husband would have done with hte body if he and not his wife had opened the parcel.
            Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Working...
            X