The Genealogist Website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Genealogist Website

has anyone subscribed to this site, and has it been helpful? I am now at the stage where I've exhausted the census and BMD records, and need to look at parish records, but obviously I don't want to fork out more money for yet another site if it isn't going to help me.
    Has this site been helpful to any you? My alternative is to go to Grimsby, Lincoln and Yorkshire etc. to find the info I need... a bit of a trek from the South coast.

many thanks
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Jules, you should check the list of what parishes they cover and what years before subscribing. I believe that most of their parish records come from transcriptions (bother, can't think of the name! Sure someone else will say what it is, though) which you might be able to get elsewhere cheaper.

A couple of things to bear in mind if you do subscribe - they keep a careful watch on what their members are looking up and if they think you are doing lookups for anyone other than yourself they may charge you extra or ban you from using their site. Also you have to make sure to cancel your sub in plenty of time before its annual renewal is due if you don't want to renew.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

If you are Kent-Sussex-Hants, it would be worth looking at the Society of Genealogists library catalogue, to see what records they hold. They have a vast collection of original records on film/fiche, transcriptions, monumental inscriptions, published books, pedigrees etc etc etc
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Hi Jules,

you could always check out the FHS websites and see what/if they have any Pr's available on cd.

I know that "some" FHS' do this and have purchased said cd's.

Also perhaps if the place in question has an Online Parish Clerk (OPC) they may be able to help with information that you are unable to get to at this time due to the distance.

HTH
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Your best bet is to contact your local LDS centre; you can order microfilms to read on their readers for a nominal fee.

Comment

Don't forget to check on the County pages in our Wiki (Reference Library) in case there are some freebie sites that you may have overlooked.

England - County pages
            Elaine

Comment

thank you everyone, that was very helpful. Much appreciated.
              Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Grimsby

Hi ..I have a couple of discs that cover Grimsby ..Marriages 1837/1960ish and Buriels 1889 /1960ish
                If I can help....I will

Comment

I did take out some short subs on The Genealogist - it ate my credits at an alarming rate and didn't tell me very much.

You can probably find what you want elsewhere.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Just checking the same thing.

I'm interested in the Non-Parochial BMDs and wondering about a month's sub for The Genealogist, rather than pay for each download from the BMD site.

Comment

Not sure if you can take out just one month's sub but it would be worth checking.
                      KiteRunner

Comment

I would just like to say, I had a sub with the genealogist site, all be it by mistake ( I clicked the wrong button) but in saying that I had it for a year, did numerous lookup for myself and others and when only having a week left I unsubcribed with no trouble what so ever!

The reason for leaving was I got all the info I could from the site and had a very nice messages from them when I left.
                        www.chrisatstjohns.tribalpages.com
                        http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/User:ChrissyConfused-91

Comment

KiteRunner.............I don't think you can, ahving looked again. It seems to be a 6 month sub is the only one for credit free images.

I've sent them an email and if I can get what they have without paying any more, I'll try it for six months as they have afew things Ancestry doesn't.

If I can get the BMDs that will pay for itself without anything else. I want 25 images at 2 pounds 50 each.

Chrissy...that makes me feel better.

Comment

Someone put up a link to the non-parochial BMD site recently. Among my Gloucestershire lot I found only one bap., which I'd already found on the IGI.
                            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

The thing is, though, you may find baptisms or births on there which are also on the IGI, but on the "BMD Registers" site you can view the original image, which may or may not have more info than is on the IGI. Sometimes you get grandparents' names, occupations, residence and all sorts!
                              KiteRunner

Comment

Interesting, but not just for one entry even if he is my great-grandfather.
                                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

You don't have to subscribe to look at one entry - you can just buy a few credits.
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

Just had an email back from The Genealogist.

If I buy the "credit free" option which seems to be Personal Premium, I can view the full records or the original images and print them off for free. Plus have access to all their other records.

I have a couple of the original images already and the info on them makes them very worthwhile (three generations plus witnesses and their relationships).

If I get the six month sub it is 39 pounds 95. If I use the Official BMD site and buy credits, it will be 62 pounds 50 without having access to any other records.

Now....off to beg for an early Christmas pressie....lol

Comment

Working...
                                    X