No announcement yet.

Information on Scottish Marriage Certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did the cert name a father at all Gwyn??

I can see that the name says Fowlie and there are a lot of Fowlie's in Aberdeen but I am confused as to what Margarets maiden name was
    With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

Here's the image Shaz - managed it at last!!

Gwyn

Freya - a lovely, funny human-friendly disaster waiting to happen....

Comment

So it looks as though his parents weren't married to each other, Alexander McLeod and Margaret Fowlie, and then Margaret married Alexander Milne.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I thought I'd posted this, but it hasn't come up, so I'll try again!

Thanks for that Kite - that's the conclusion I've come to as well.
          Another daft question - it does say 'Canada' after Alexander snr doesn't it? If so, I'm even more confused - and it doesn't take much!

Gwyn

Comment

Yes, it says

Alexander McLeod, storekeeper ( **** in Canada)

The first letter of **** looks like G?

OC

Comment

I think the 'G' is 'Grocer'. How the ........ can I trace him - I ain't prepared to fork out for worldwide Ancestry, apart from which, I've no clue as to his details - aargh!

Gwyn
              Last edited by Oscar; 13-09-08, 19:03.

Comment

You might be able to find him in Scotland first. Assuming his son was born in Scotland of course.

OC

Comment

There is an Alexander McLeod on the 1881 Canadian census (Eastern Rupert's Land, Territories, Northwest Territories) who was born in Scotland and is a Storekeeper.

He is 58yrs and living with wife Jane who was born in Canada and 10 McLeod children. An Andrew Lockhart (also born in Canada) and two canadian born servants.

Alexander is Presbyterian but the rest of the household are Church of England.

Might not be the same Alexander but then again it might be.

Have you found a marriage for Margaret to Alexander Milne? What about a Death for Margaret it may offer a few more clues

Comment

Oh and another.... aged 48 (Cayuga, Haldimand, Ontario) also a storekeeper born in Scotland living with his Scottish born wife and a Scottish born 24yr old son (or at least I assume it's his son) rest of children, eldest of whom is 22yrs, were all born Canada. All of them are presbyterian.

Comment

Problem with birth OC - birth is apparently 1852 - so no good for Scotland's People - and I can't see him on IGI.

Shaz - I've spoken to the person for whom I'm researching and she confirms that family history has it that there is a Canadian connection. The info you have would seem to fit - could I ask if you would post it to me please? Thanks to Kite, who tested it for me, the connection should be working now.

I can't see a marriage for Margaret to Alexander Milne either.

I am in such a muddle over this -

Oh 'eck Shaz - I've just seen your last post - slumps in chair!!

Gwyn
                      Last edited by Oscar; 13-09-08, 20:09. Reason: Added info

Comment

Gwyn I am still being told that you do not receive private messages

I found the info on the family search page.

FamilySearch.org - Search

Just use the drop down list and choose 1881 Canadian then put in Alexander McLeod birthplace Scotland, ethnice origin Scottish and for the first one put the birth year as 1823 and he is the first in list of three.

For the second put birth year as 1833 and he is the first of two results.

Comment

Thanks Shaz - I received Kite's message, so I can't understand what's happened. I've checked all the do'dah's to say 'enable private messages', so pass on that!

Thanks for the hint - will explore!

Gwyn
                          Last edited by Oscar; 13-09-08, 20:32. Reason: Change 'expire' to 'explore' (lol)

Comment

Whenever I try, even when I attempted to reply to your private message to me I got this message....

Oscar has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

If you are trying to send this message to multiple recipients, remove Oscar from the recipient list and send the message again.

Maybe it's because Kite is a Moderator that her message got through

Comment

Oh crikey Shaz - I have no idea!! Probably me being thick - Kite, where are you???

I am absolute death on anything technical - even if I order a book from the library and it says it's in - it ain't. It's a laughing point between us now.

I rest my case and will fester, but will try IGI Shaz!

Thanks so much.

Gwyn (going to bed now) - dreaming of McLeods!!
                              Last edited by Oscar; 13-09-08, 21:01.

Comment

OC what are your Alexander's siblings names? I have many Milne and am trying to piece them together and just wondered whether we had any possible match.
                                Milne is such a popular name, some of my Mlnes went to Newcastle and some to Canada while there are some in South Africa!

Comment

Working...
                                X