X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pmsl OC!!

*prepares a list of people to PM*

Comment

• I've just been speaking to my brother (the one who lives in Charlton Down in the building that used to be Herrison Hospital - #106)

He pointed this out to me which is a brief history of the hospital. It also gives the details of the archives and a contact for them. As the death is less than 100 years ago there may be restricted access but if you are interested it might be worth you contacting them.

Herrison Hospital

Jackie
      Jackie

Comment

• The records should be available if they've survived. A relative of mine died in an asylum in 1930, and I was allowed to have a copy of the file.

Comment

• I called in to the LDS centre today, and the lady said that the 10-year records I found are only indexes, which will just have the date and the spouses' names. However, as we don't know the exact year of the marriage, she recommended getting the film, so that we can pinpoint the exact year.

After that, I can try e-mailing or writing to the main Register Office in Rome, who may or may not be helpful. She confirmed my impression that offices in small towns are helpful, but those in big cities are awful (she's having trouble getting a copy of her own marriage cert from Milan...). If they won't supply a cert, we can then order the microfilm with the full marriage details on it (there are several films for each year, so it'd be impossible without the reference numbers from the index).

While I was there I ordered the film - I thought that'd be easier than leaving it for you to do, Libby, because I don't know if you have an LDS centre nearby, and anyway the records will be in Italian. The only problem is that it'll take a month or two to come from Germany, and if Germany doesn't have it, they'll have to send to Salt Lake City, and it can take up to 4 months :(

Comment

• Thank you, Mary.......the only Italian I know is pasta.......lol

Comment

• I expect you would have understood matrimonio

Comment

• Maybe.............

Comment

• Just resurrecting this thread, because I've found a fascinating new piece of information - it doesn't really take you any further, but I thought it was interesting enough to post.

I was reading an article about Michael Caine. Remember the army officer he played in the film Zulu? The officer's name was Gonville Bromhead, and he was awarded the VC for his part in the battle of Rorke's Drift.

The surname rang a bell, and sure enough, he's related to your Bromhead - he was the 3rd cousin of John Nowill B the executor.

Edit: No he isn't, sorry, see later correction
                  I had another look at John Nowill's ancestry, because I don't think we ever tied him in definitely with the Rev. Edward B who married Catherine Eyre, and I've finally got it.

John Nowell B the executor was born in 1844, son of John Nowill B and Susannah Soulby.

John Nowell sr was the son of John May Bromhead and Martha Nowell, who were married in Sheffield in 1803 according to an IGI submitted entry.

John May B was the son of Rev. Edward B and Catherine Eyre.

Gonville B was the son of Edmund Gonville B, grandson of Gonville B and great-grandson of Bordman B.

Bordman and Rev. Edward B were the sons of Benjamin B, who was the son of Edward Bromhead and Anne Eyre, daughter of Anthony Eyre.

You can find most of this information here:

thePeerage.com - Main Page

and here:

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 03-12-08, 02:20.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post

John May B was the son of Rev. Edward B and Catherine Eyre.
                    Oops, sorry - can't remember where I got that from, but it appears to be wrong.

John May Bromehead, the first of his family to be associated with the firm, was born in Southwold, Suffolk, the son of Robert Bromehead and Mary May. Bromehead's paternal family had been settled in Eckington, Derbyshire since at least 1733 whilst his maternal family was one of the most prominent in Southwold.
                    Sills & Betteridge - History - The Bromehead Years

Back to the drawing board...
                    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 03-12-08, 01:58.

Comment

• Apparently J Nowell Bromehead the executor was Rector of Beverston, Gloucestershire, which isn't very far from Bristol, so perhaps he was just a friend of the Ariel family after all, not a relative.

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 03-12-08, 02:19.

Comment

• Thanks Mary.................I think....lol

I will try to see if I can work it out. If we connect him to an Eyre, then he's probably related, however I think this family just knew everyone.

I'd love to connect Ricciotti Garibaldi to the Admiral of the Fleet, Osmond Brock.....lol

Not sure why, but I'd like to all the same..

Comment

• I've had a quick look, but I can't see anything obvious.

He apparently spent some time at the New Brighton College, some kind of military boarding school in Liverpool, in the 1850s - might be worth checking whether any of the Brocks or Ariels went there.

At The River's Mouth: August 2006
                          Last edited by Mary from Italy; 03-12-08, 07:15.

Comment

• Thanks Mary............

Comment

Working...
                            X