FTM 2005-06 Tips and Guides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Notes and Sources from a GEDCOM file

Removing notes and sources from a GEDCOM file is something you may need to do at some point, for example you may want to share your file with another researcher or upload your tree to an online site but not have all your notes and/or sources displayed, you may also want to add to the FTF name database which only requires the inclusion of names and dates, notes and sources can in the case of a large file take the GEDCOM above the 2MB limit the database can handle.

The process is not particularly difficult but is probably best described as a little longwinded as you have to create two Gedcom files to remove all your extra information.

Step 1
    Create a GEDCOM file in the usual way

Step 2
    Import this new GEDCOM file back into FTM, notes and sources etc can be removed during the import process.

Step 3
    Create a new GEDCOM file (which is now minus notes, sources etc depending on your selections)

Step 4
    Upload or share your new "no notes" GEDCOM file as required.

The following post will, by the use of screenshots, illustrate how to remove notes and sources etc from your file.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Create a GEDCOM file (this one will include all your notes etc) by clicking File>Export File>Entire File, give the file a distinctive name, one that you can recognise easily in future and save to your pc as a GEDCOM (.GED format).
      Note, this file will contain all names including living relatives, if you wish to exclude living relatives click File>Export File>Selected Individuals, at this point you then select the names you wish to include from the index of individuals.

This newly created file then has to be imported (opened) back into FTM, the removal of notes and sources is done manually during the import process, to open the file hover your mouse pointer over the file icon on your pc and right click your mouse, from the dropdown menu select open or open with, you may have to select FTM as the default programme.

Now you have to name this new file, i have called this file "birthfamily import"....you may want to call it something like "master no notes", any name can be used but the important thing is to make sure you use a name to illustrate that means something to you and indicates this file has notes removed.

After naming the file click the Facts to import button

Now we reach the part of the process where we choose what will or won't be imported, the screengrab shows the dialogue box that appears, the entries in blue text are the default entries which will always be imported, the entries in black are optional.

The minimum information required to build a tree or display the main events for your names is birth/baptism date, death/burial date and any marriage(s) that have taken place. For this reason the optional "BAPT" and "BURIAL" facts will be imported but all notes and sources will be removed during the import. Removal of a particular fact, source or notes is illustrated below.

Click on a fact to make it turn blue, then click the don't import button as illustrated...

Continue through the list until just the BAPT and BURIAL facts are listed, when you have completed the selections the only items that will be imported will appear as shown below, once you have made the final selection click the ok button

This has now made a new file in this example it is "birth family import", all the notes and sources etc have been removed, it is just the bare bones of names and dates in the file, this file now has to be exported again and saved as a GEDCOM format, again make sure the name you give the file makes it easy to see this file is a stripped down/no notes file. It may be wise to incorporate the words "no notes" or a variation on that theme in the file name to make it easier to identify at a later date. By doing so it then reduces the risk of uploading or e-mailing the wrong file in error.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Creating backup files

Many of the tips posted previously have been about managing files, quite possibly the most important file management function that anyone should know and use is the backup facility.

Combining both a methodical approach and a regular routine are the best ways to protect against data loss. Unless you take steps to prevent data loss then a pc problem or accidental mouse click can soon spell disaster and months (even years) of research can be lost in an instant. If that sounds dramatic just ask one or two of the members who have suffered such a loss, can you honestly say that every name, date, source, census and bmd ref, census image and photograph you have acquired is available without accessing your FTM programme?

Could you hunt through your notes and scans and replace everything easily or will it take hours and hours of hunting around and at best find just some of the information?

An external hard drive is probably the safest option but for most people the easiest media to use is a CD, memory sticks can be used but for long term storage discs are more reliable, saving a backup to disc takes only takes a minute or two, it may seem a chore but it is time well spent. The use of two or three discs used alternately is another wise precaution, a simple routine is shown in the next post, the reaminder of this post will show how to create a backup copy.

Creating a backup file is a simple process that can be done in two ways

Method 1;

Using the options within FTM, click on File>Back up> as illiustrated below

Insert a CD into your cd drive and from the dialogue box select the Writable CD option and click OK

Follow any onscreen prompts given by your pc (systems vary so no screenshot is given), once completed make sure to explore the comtents of the disc to ensure the file has been copied. The filetype saved is the .FTW file (the filetype that contains images as well as text).

Method 2

If method 1 causes problems it may be easier to copy the .FTW file directly from your pc, personal preferences and system setups mean that there isn't a standard place where files are stored, they may be either on your desktop, my documents or a folder somewhere on your pc. Once you have found the file, and making sure it is the .FTW filetype right click on the file and select the "send to" option, from there select your cd drive and continue as above.

You have now successfully saved a copy of your file to disc and if your pc were to fail straight afterwards your information is still available.

Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 13-02-09, 22:27.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Backup files to alternate discs

The importance of saving your file on a weekly basis, after any major additions or before merging and splitting files cannot be stressed enough.

Yes it sounds like a chore but it really is that important.

As an extra safegaurd it is advisable to use at least two and preferably three discs on an alternating basis, working on a three disc system and a weekly backup the following method should provide an almost unbeatable system to prevent dataloss.

Take 3 discs, either number or name them eg #1, #2, #3 or "Son, "Father" and "Grandfather"

Each disc will be used once every three weeks as shown below

Week 1= Disc#1 (son)
          Week2= Disc#2 (father)
          Week 3= Disc#3 (grandfather)

Week 4= Disc#1 (son)
          Week 5= Disc#2 (father(
          Week 6= Disc#3 (grandfather)

Week 7= Disc#1 (son)
          etc........

By continuing in this way even if you suffer a pc failure and have a damaged backup CD at for example week #6 you still have a very recent (week #5) useable file saved and have minimal dataloss.

+++
          Your backup files should only be used in the event of a failure with your pc or accidental deletion or damage of an existing file, when opening a backup file from disc with FTM it will most probably be what is known as a read only format. That means you are able to view but not able to edit any of the information on the file. This is a default setting but the "read only" atributes can be changed.

The next post deals with the process of removing "read only" attributes.
          +++
          Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 15-02-09, 14:49.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Backup files and "read only" mode

In the event of having to revert to a backup file from a cd there is an important thing to remember;

a restored file is in read only format. Once the file is opened in FTM although it can be viewed it isn't possible to edit the file in any way, names or additional information cannot be added to a read only file but the read only attributes can be changed to enable the file to be edited. This needs to be done before any editing of the file can take place.

To remove the read only attributes save the file to your pc from the disc, hover the mouse pointer over the file icon and right click the mouse, select properties from the dropdown menu, the file details will appear in a box as shown below, the illustration shows the file is still read only as the check box is ticked (highlighted in the illustration),

simply uncheck the box to remove the tick as shown below, once done click the OK button to save the changes made and the file can then be edited as needed.

To open the file with FTM locate the file icon on your pc as before and use the hover/right click method again, this time select the open option from the dropdown menu.

Remember, only open a backup file when you have no other option, needlessly opening a backup file creates a duplicate file, duplicate files can cause problems as outlined earlier in the thread
            Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 30-03-09, 18:25.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Thank you so much for this thread Tinsel Knickers, it has helped me greatly. My daughter in law is just getting started on her family history and I have bought her FTM 2006 and told her about this thread. Hopefully, with your help, she won't spawn numerous bits of files as I did!

'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.' Bertrand Russel.

Comment

Hi Moiramary

There are a couple of useful guides in our wiki that might come in handy at some point, to avoid duplicating everything i will just add the links here, they can also be found by clicking the Family Tree Maker link below the Guides and FAQs at the top of page

To work out the difference between .FTW .FBK and .FBC files see;
                Family Tree Maker - File Extensions and Icons - Family Tree Forum

Some information about GEDCOM files and a troubleshooter for common GEDCOM queries see;
                GEDCOM File Guide and FAQ - Family Tree Forum

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

bump

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Using Family Tree Maker on a Vista equipped pc

An often asked question relates to using Family Tree Maker on a new pc with the Vista operating system.

Pre 2005 versions of FTM are no longer supported programmes and cannot be used with the Vista operating system.
                    FTM 2005, 2006 and V16 can be used with Vista but require an update to be installed, installing the programme alone on a Vista machine is not enough, in order for FTM to operate correctly the update has to be installed. Also bear in mind that the 2005/2006 and v16 versions of Family Tree Maker will only work with Vista 32 bit systems, they are not Vista 64 bit compatible.

The update installation is a straightforward process, it is simply downloaded from the help centre and installed on your pc in the same way you would download and install any other programme or application.

Full instructions and the update can be found via the FTM helpcentre from the following link;

Family Tree Maker Update for Windows Vista
                    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 24-09-09, 11:46.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Adding unrelated individuals

At some point we all find names in the census or bmd etc that might be part of our trees but a few more details are needed to confirm things.

There are times it can be handy to add the name(s) and details into FTM so they can be found without hunting through files or piles of papers. You might wonder how you can add someone who doesn't yet connect to your tree but it is a simple task to add an "unrelated individual", once you have researched them a little more closely you can either attach them to the correct people in your tree or delete them if you discover they are not connected. I have two such family groups in my file at the moment, an unusual name in the right area but at the moment i need to find a pe 1837 record to prove they are related. For now at least i can always find the census and bmd information i do have just by looking in FTM, it also lets me compare the dates with other family from the same area very easily.

To add an unrelated individual use the people menu and select unrelated individual from the dropdown as shown below

You will now have a blank family screen, enter the name, place and dates as normal plus any spouse/children etc as needed. Also include bmd, census and parish records so you have everything handy when needed.
                      Once entered the new name(s) will appear in the index of individuals in just the same way as any other name in your file.....

As and when you confirm a connection you can attach the name(s) using the attach option from the people menu or enter one of the names again (create a duplicate name) and use the merge duplicated individuals option.

Should you find the name(s) do not fit in your tree then use the delete individual option from the people menu to remove the name(s) from your file

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

bump

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Nudgy bump, just logged into PB and making sure everything is still alive in this thread.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Can you explain how the Sources/Citations screen works? (It is the scroll icon next to name etc on family view)
                            People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
                            Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Originally posted by webwiz View Post
                              Can you explain how the Sources/Citations screen works? (It is the scroll icon next to name etc on family view)
                              Which version of Family Tree Maker are you using?
                              Elaine

Comment

Just giving this a final bump up, most folks have upgraded beyond 2005 but there are still (hopefully) some useful ideas and advice

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I 've not - I've got 2006 and sticking to it. :o Uploaded the 2010 to get a free 6 months access but no intention of using the programme. Always worth coming back to this thread and checking it for hints.

Comment

I always use my 2006 for main stuff no way would I go to 2009/2010 or 2011 dont like any of them ,,
                                    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Working...
                                    X