Family Tree Maker 2009 - FREE UPDATE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Tree Maker 2009 - FREE UPDATE!

I had read somewhere recently that a free update for FTM2009 was being distributed in the US and hoped it would eventually come our way.

Just received an email from them to say it is now available to UK and Australian residents. It appears it is being distributed via the Ancestry Shop on Ancestry.co.uk

What's new:
    * Exciting new charts and reports
    * Improved data editing and manipulation
    * A robust "find and replace" functionality
    * Expanded RTF and HTML export
    * Improved file merging and memory usage
    * The ability to save and apply templates
    * Increased overall performance
    * Faster navigation and quicker load times

From what I can see you will have needed to register your FTM2008 in order to receive this offer.
    You will be required to enter a unique promotional code (which can only be used once) and there is a postage and package charge of £2.95. Delivery of disc will take between 2 and 6 weeks.

The email does say it is for Australian and UK residents - so anyone overseas would need to have it sent to an alternative address. The offer is only valid until 26th September 2008 so if you don't get your email soon, check that you have registered your FTM 2008 - or contact Ancestry.
    Elaine

Several people over on GR are saying they have had the same mail but most of them only have the 2006 so I dont know if its a random mail or what. I havent received one and I had the 2008 - bunged away after a couple of weeks - but Im pretty sure I would have registered it.

How do you know if you have Elaine?

Comment

Open 2008 - click on Help and select REGISTER
      If you have already registered it then it should tell you - otherwise just go through the registration process. Remember to use your same email address and password as you use on Ancestry, or you will get problems with multiple accounts .... but of course you know all about those Heather!! ;)
      Elaine

Comment

Heather, if you haven't used your FTM 2008 since we got them last September, then I would suggest you open it and get the free updates - there have been at least two, possibly three, since we bought our copies.
        HELP / CHECK UPDATES
        Elaine

Comment

I think I registered it Elaine but then I didnt load it on this new puter when I got it in April and I just had a quick look cant see where the actual cd is at the moment. Is this 2009 just a large update/add on to the 2008? People getting the offer over on GR seem to think its a stand alone as they have been offered it when they just have the 2006 registered.

Comment

ordered mine yesterday Elaine.... :D:D

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
            Raven's Family Tree

Comment

Well the email says:

We are giving you
              Family Tree MakerTM 2009. Free*.

Dear Elaine,
              We want you to have the very best experience with Family Tree MakerTM, and because you have registered Family Tree MakerTM 2008, we are giving you this brand new version free so you can enjoy all the latest additions and improvements.

- so it looks as if it is a stand alone version.
              If Raven has already ordered hers she will probably receive if before me, as I need to have it sent to a UK address first. Perhaps Raven will let us know when it arrives.
              Elaine

Comment

will do Elaine....

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
                Raven's Family Tree

Comment

Well I found the cd for 2008 and I put it on the puter. I imported the stuff from my 2006 and then I tried to register the 2008 again. It just keeps saying there is no internet connection :(

I closed down the puter and restarted in case that would help. Opened the 2008 and erm, all my data that I imported has disappeared?? And its still saying no internet connection.
                  (Im starting to remember why I dumped it)

Can anyone explain either of the above problems please.

Comment

Sounds as if it could be a firewall problem. I remember having this when I first tried to register the program.
                    Not sure if this helps.
                    Answer
                    Elaine

Comment

Oh right Elaine. Ive managed now to save the info on there - but I had to manually back it up - rather than like my 2006 where it does it automatically as you close down :(

Comment

Nope, turned off all my security but still saying no connection.

Comment

There appears to be a similar problem on the FTM help forum - not sure if it helps
                          unable to register family tree maker 2008

- if not it might be worth putting a query on the help line. Russ is very good!
                          Research Family Tree Maker: Installation in the General forums on Genealogy.com, the new GenForum!
                          Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 05-09-08, 11:15.
                          Elaine

Comment

Our version of 2008 is registered and we were Beta Testers for the program but we have not received the e-mail nor can I find anything about the free update on Ancestry's shop site, has anyone got a URL for the update.
                            Best Wishes
                            Ron
                            www.genealogyprinters.com

Comment

Redirect to the target website

you have to have an activation code... that was sent in the email...

Raven's Wiki Page
                              Raven's Family Tree

Comment

Has anyone instaslled there 2009 yet ??/
                                does it overwrite the 2008 or is it a stand alone one , not risking putting disc in till I know ;;
                                borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Babs... it says delivery in anything from 2 - 6 weeks.

Raven's Wiki Page
                                  Raven's Family Tree

Comment

Got mine today babe thats why I was asking ,,,so am I the 1st then

Comment

You must be, I havent even had the email yet :( I should imagine it will be a stand alone program Babs, has it no instructions? Just back up your FTM to cd or internet to do a belt and braces job.

Comment

No Heather no instructions but says FTM 2009 ? 2008;;;

Comment

Working...
                                        X