ideas on dating to indentify children, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ideas on dating to indentify children, please

This is husband's great-grandparents Henry Ledger and Rose Ledger with 4 of their 6 children. Can you help me to decide who the children are?

I know the girl at the right back standing is husband's maternal grandmother Maud Violet, who was born 1900.

The other children were
    Henry b 1899
    Louis 1904
    Ena 1909
    Victor 1915 and
    Doris 1918

From later photos, the little boy in the sailor suit looks like Victor, but the little girl looks like Ena but she certainly isn't 6 years older than the boy. So maybe the boy is Louis and this photo was taken before Victor was born.

All ideas welcome.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Havng typed this out, I am thinking that Henry Jr and Maud would be abt 14 and 13, Louis about 9 and Ena 4, so photo taken abt 1914ish. Maybe before Henry senior went off to do something in WW1?

Must be before Rose was very pregnant with Victor.

Comment

I think the photo is just a tiny bit before 1914, maybe about 1912 looking at their clothes, of course if mum was pregnant we can't see, maybe ask her to stand up??

Comment

I think you're spot on. Sailor suits were the height of fashion for little boys in the years before the first world war. The reality of warfare put an end to the fashion.
        Paul Barton, Special Agent

Hear my themetune on http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/dickbarton.wav

Comment

I think the others are Henry, Louis and Ena

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

I would go along with little Nell's age grouping but would suggest a time frame of between 1912 and 1914. As an aside to the ages of the children one of my reference books gives the following prices for some of the clothing worn.
            Boater-Saw Edged, between 4/6 to 5/6
            Boater-Pedal Straw, (best quality) 10/6
            young girls frock (simular to the one worn by the little girl at the front) between 15/6 and 16/6
            White drill Jack Tar suit (for ages between 7 to 11) 10/9 to 12/9 (the price rising by 6d for each year)
            Jack Tar Hat (not seen in the photograph but may have been part of this lads outfit)- Purl Straw 3/6 or Maltese Cabbage 4/6
            Man's lounge suit -Homespun/Tweeds/Cheviots priced from £3.19.0 to £5.5.0
            This last price is based on prices for 1907 but would not have been far off the cost of a suit when this photograph may have been taken.

don

Comment

early 1900,s brenda xxx

Comment

I completely forgot I'd posted this, so my apologies for not getting back to you earlier. Many thanks for your input.

Comment

Rose was Jewish and Henry a gentile, they married at Strand Register Office 17 August (my own wedding day) 1890. Rose's family were fishmongers and Henry's fruiterers and greengrocers in Covent Garden market.

Comment

Working...
                  X