Silly question time... TWINS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silly question time... TWINS

Have been thinking about this, and i'm still no nearer an answer and its driving me mad..lol.

Twins that "run" in families do they come from the male line or female?

or is it totally random?

What I am wondering is, if a gt x4 grandmother had twins and they had a sister and the sister later had twins, would the gene for the twins run in her twins as well?

I bet you are really confused now :D

it is so hard to try and explain what I mean... :(
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Twin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(this is a tiny bit from the above

Studies show that there is a genetic basis for DZ twinning. However, it is only the female partner that has any influence on the chances of having DZ twins as the male cannot make her release more than one ovum. Dizygotic twinning ranges from six per thousand births in Japan (similar to the rate of monozygotic twins) to 14 and more per thousand in some African countries.[6]

(DZ twinning is non-identical twins - ie two eggs produced by the mother. Identical twins (MZ) are a random event.)

The age of the mother and the number of previous children also influence the chances of twins (older mother/more pregnancies = greater chance of a multiple pregnancy)

Comment

Not sure which side they are surposed to come from but my friends grandmother had twins, plus four other children. Two of her daughters had a set of twins, my friend(a female twin) was pregnant with twins, sadly she lost them early on.
      Fiona. xx

Comment

As I understand it, if you and a partner have a baby and the partner has twins on his side of the family, he can't influence your ovulation so you have no greater chance of having twins.

However, that baby might inherit the hyperovulation gene from her father so she may have an increased chance of having (fraternal) twins. There are no hereditary factors for identical twins.

So in Julie's example, if the sister of the twins inherited the gene from her mother, she could have twins and they could also pass that gene down.

Have I confused it even more?

Jackie
        Jackie

Comment

ahhhh *scratches head*

I think I understand :o
          Julie

Comment

I know what you mean but don't know the answer - only one set of twins in my family that I know of (my dad and his brother) so I can't really tell which way they run. In several other cases where I'm not sure whether they were twins or just enjoyed telling the enumerator they were the same age!
            Michael, aged 1/4 of a century

Comment

I am very interested in this as both my sons have had twins and twins run in my mothers side of the family.
              BUT...Her father mum had twins so now i am a bit confused on this.
              Vanessa Tallon passed away September 2011

Comment

I've read all the answers but I'm still confused

Comment

hmmmn piddle!!!

ok,

Mary Watchorn had B/G twins, G twin dies.
                  Has another Girl names her Sarah (the same as G twin.)

Sarah marries and has G/G twins I think, (will be going to check this out on Saturday)

what is the likelihood of Twins being born again thro the other twins or other siblings?

or is it just "one of those things"?
                  Julie

Comment

Originally posted by vanessa tallon View Post
                    I am very interested in this as both my sons have had twins and twins run in my mothers side of the family.
                    BUT...Her father mum had twins so now i am a bit confused on this.
                    The only bit I can answer with certainty is that both your sons having twins will not have been through their "influence". The production of two eggs by the mother might be a fluke, or age related etc, or a tendency inherited by her from one or both of her own parents. if twins are identical that appears to be just something that happes randomly.

So, if you had daughters and they had twins then this could be an inherited tendency from your family, but not for your sons children.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                      hmmmn piddle!!!

ok,

Mary Watchorn had B/G twins, G twin dies.
                      Has another Girl names her Sarah (the same as G twin.)

Sarah marries and has G/G twins I think, (will be going to check this out on Saturday)

what is the likelihood of Twins being born again thro the other twins or other siblings?

or is it just "one of those things"?
                      Possibly more than just one of those things (unless any of the same sex twins were identical!), but not necessarily!

Comment

Mary (probably) has the twin gene because she had fraternal twins.

She (probably) passed that gene onto Sarah who had twins. If they or any of their siblings also inherited the gene then they have a higher chance of having twins.

If any of the siblings are boys, they may have inherited the gene but have no higher chance of having twins themselves because its the woman's ovulation that creates fraternal twins.

BUT they could pass that gene on to their children etc.

That's why it sometimes looks as though twins skip a generation

Jackie
                        Jackie

Comment

Ahhhh Jackie,

that makes some sort of sense to me.. I'm not that hot on the technical terms of it, but explained in laymans terms ish I do understand better

so need to now find any relations of said twins.. and also see If the Boy twin lived and produced any offspring??
                          Julie

Comment

I have twins and I was told by the docs that the younger you are when you have twins, the more likely it is to be by genetic influence, as most "natural" twin births occur in women over the age of 35 due to hormones becoming unbalanced.

I had twins when I was 19.
                            My father was a twin, and he also had twin brothers.
                            I haven't found any twins in my mum's family over the past 100 years.

Comment

As far as I understand it, identical twins are a "fluke of nature" and occur when the dividing cells "stutter" and do everything twice, within the first few hours after conception.

A fluke of nature...but there may be some very subtle genetic influence which makes a woman likely to do this. But it could also be a chemical influence, so at present, it really is random chance as far as science goes.

Inherited twins can come down either the male or the female line - both sexes carry the X chromosome which may be programmed for twinning.

But a male can never influence his wife's twinning, only pass on the twinning gene to his children.

As night owl says, that's why twins often skip a generation or more, or even maybe ten generations!

OC

Comment

If you eat a diet consisting of Sweet Potato then you are more likely to have twins as well!
                                Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

*throws out all the sweet potatoes*

OC

Comment

My grandad was a twin of the DZ type. (he had a twin sister).

None of grandad's children had twins (two girls and a boy) and none of his grandchildren have had any children yet. (two girls and four boys)

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

So, I think I am reading this correctly... My grandad would have passed on the twin gene to his three children (possibly), but it would only affect the chances of the women having twins.

Only one of the women had a girl, so it will be passed onto her, so the chances are my cousin could have twins. My other girl cousin is the daughter of the son so could it have been passed to her through her dad?

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Tom

No, more complicated than that!

Any of the females COULD have passed the gene onto her son...who may then pass it on to any of his daughters AND any of his sons.

All depends which X chromosome gets selected at each conception.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X