No announcement yet.

Silly question time... TWINS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No OC - they're totally different. Apart from being a boy & a girl, one has blue eyes & one brown, for a start.

Comment

ohh gawd is this still going?...lol

regard your left handed theory......... all my children so far have a tendancy to predominantly use their left hands, although my eldest that can write, does write with her right!! everything else though is more or less left!! like her dad! he's cock eyed an all!!!!
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Julie

Not my theory, lol, it is Professor Winston's theory!

Both my ex husbands were left handed. I have one left handed (and left footed) daughter and two right handed ones.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
          Julie

Not my theory, lol, it is Professor Winston's theory!

Both my ex husbands were left handed. I have one left handed (and left footed) daughter and two right handed ones.

OC
          Me, R/handed, Tim likewise, (but he does most things like he was a lefty)

Daughter 1, does everything left except write.
          son 1 does everything left at mo, but will draw with right,
          little un, dunno yet, but she alternates between L and R......

nowt so queer as folk!!!!
          Julie

Comment

In days of yore, left-handers were viewed with great suspicion. (Latin= sinstra, sinister, means, evil omen, dark, left, etc.).

In heraldry the line sinsister is the female line!A bar sinistra on a heraldic emblem means illegitimate, hence the word bastard.

Genetic pundits view left handedness as a handicap and a threat to evolution because....a left handed person could not shield the heart area AND heft a weapon at the same time. What rubbish. My left-handed daughter was in the forces for 18 years and she could operate a weapon with her left hand without any problem, although she always did have trouble with marching and parades, as she is left footed.

Also, a left-handed neanderthal woman would hold her baby "to the wrong side" and wouldn't be able to help pick berries etc. Again, what utter drivel, written by men who have never held a baby AND stirred the spuds, wiped the toddler's nose etc, with the other hand!

OC

Comment

LMP is left handed and but we he parents aren't however he does have a long line of ancestors that are left handed!

Even though most of the population is right handed I would love to know who decided that was normal?
              Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

I'm left-handed and was quite intrigued by the "twin" theory, as I always wanted a twin sister!

Having had 2 babies I can assure people that you hold them in whatever hand is more convenient and do whatever else you need to do with the other hand. If you are breastfeedling and swap breasts its easier to swap the hand that holds the baby too.

I can use sharp knives with either hand, but can only write/use scissors with left hand and I hated workplaces where phones were always on the left. I want my phone on the right with pen & paper on the left.

I guess antipathy to left-handed people is because they were a minority and seen as "deviant". Another example of mindless bigotry.

One sphere in which left-handers have done well is tennis - Rod Laver was my first sporting hero as I was so fed up with being told how clumsy and cackhanded I was and he showed you could be extremely skillful with a left hand.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hmmn

and both my elder children use their scooters left footed too!!

It just looks so cumbersome! I think that is genetic too.. is it??

I know that no-one in our family are lefthanded, save the OH's left tendancies, (and his sister is left handed,) (and our neice, her daughter)
                  Julie

Comment

I am the only left-hander in my family, though my mother had a brother who was ambidextrous.

I am equally hopeless with either foot!

Comment

Ah, Nell, but what foot do you lead off with when you start to walk?

OC

Comment

Nell - strange question I know but are you able to knit and would you knit left handed.

When I was in junior school we used to have a craft lesson, the girl sitting next to me got in a mess with her knitting and asked me if I would put it right for her. I was able to unpick knitting easily and put it right; however I spent ages trying and couldn't put it right. I remember telling her that I couldn't work out which row she was knitting, she told me she was left handed, so I gave up.....
                        Kathleen

Comment

How fascinating!!!
                          Both my twins are left-handed (and funnily enough, on my first scan, I was told that it was possibly triplets - one foetus "vanished"!!!)

OH and myself are both right-handed, but OH's father and one of his brothers are left-handed.

Comment

Bev

Well, that makes a nonsense of the mirror-twin survivor theory then - unless you were originally expecting quads, which were two pairs of identical twins!

(The vanishing twin is quite common, it appears - about 30%-40%).

OC

Comment

OC
                              I've never thought about it, but now that I have, I don't think I have a lead foot, though I do get the feeling my right might be vaguely predominent. I will see what I do when I am going to work tomorrow!

Kath
                              I used to knit the right-handed way as it was just easier for me to copy what my Mum did (I do have a problem translating the other way and always have to ask when stuffing envelopes which way the open side should be). I had to learn to hold a tennis racket in my right hand as my PE teacher couldn't teach anything. This is why I am not the English Martina Navratilova - but I am glad to say, neither is anyone else, lol, lol!

Comment

I'll also check on the 4 sets of twins we currently have in the school. I know past set of twins one was left-handed. Oh, just realised that 3 of said twins are non-identical, so that won't work!

Comment

There are no twins among my immediate family, and I seem to be the only left-handed person. I'm actually ambidextrous with most things, which makes DIY easier. I eat and hold a golf club or cricket bat or tennis racket right-handed. (That doesn't mean I'm in any way sporty!). I write left-handed and gradually grew out of writing round-arm. It peeved me many years later to discover than pen-knibs are "handed", which explained why my dipper pen dug into the paper. The primary school went over to Biros the year I left.
                                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

What an interesting thread - Here is my list of twins so far, I have listed them in relation to me
                                    Ok, in my family

* Me Identical
                                    * uncles Identical- Mothers, mothers, sisters children
                                    * Uncle & Aunt non-Identical - Fathers, mothers, mothers children
                                    * Cousins Identical - Mothers, Fathers, mothers, mothers, daughter daughters children

god thats confusing, and if I have read the scientific points of this thread correctly 3 of these sets are flukes, although as non-identical twins are in my fathers family there is a chance that the hyper thingy could have been passed down to me and my sister through him, and the fact that my mother had twins was a fluke
                                    Vikki -
                                    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Vikki, wouldn't your mother's mother's sister's children be your first cousins once removed rather than uncles? And your father's mother's mother's children would be your great-uncle and great-aunt?
                                      Sorry, I can't fathom out that last one!
                                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

eh?????

*scratches head, and gets paracetamols*
                                        Julie

Comment

I can't fathom out that last one!
                                          2nd cousin once removed?

Comment

Working...
                                          X