No announcement yet.

Scottish/Borders surname query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Glen, I'll bookmark that for later!

BTW, pleased that Isabella Forbes actually died back on the family farm, not up the Torry Point Battery! She died of Infirmity of Years..is that old age?

OC

Comment

I meant the Nisbet Dawson Marriage, OC.

Comment

Anotgher potentially useless link :D Showing varied connections to the names of Nesbit/Nisbet and the associated farms, houses and manseshouses connected to the name in the borders area.

Nesbitt/Nisbet Society Home
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Glen

thanks for the link - the site is a bit clunky and I can't get past the DNA bit!

I will look at it properly tomorrow, but as far as my own line is concerned, my 4 x GGF John Nisbet was the last male of his line, having only daughters.

But what do I know - I can't trace the b****y man! He may have been married before.

OC

Comment

Well anything that you might want photographing any time just let me know, Mrs G likes the driving practice and she is getting so good i can hold the camera steady when we finally arrive ;)

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

LOL Glen! Brave man, you are!

OC

Comment

Have you already tried looking for any wills / inventories in that area with those surnames on Scotland's People, OC? I know, it costs more money but sometimes they give you the breakthrough you need. The problem is rationing them though!
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I hadn't thought of that, Kate, as I am not au fait with searching for wills on SP.

But I will go and have a practice now!

I suppose I really should be looking for a will in Berwick, for Thomas Smeakin, first. All I know of him is that he was dead before 1855.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                    LOL Glen! Brave man, you are!

OC
                    I can well imagine some of your photo requests to be pretty demanding.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

No, no, Glen, I am not a demanding woman!

I was commenting on your bravery with regard to Mrs G's driving skills.

*wonders what it is like to be taught to drive by an HGV driver......"Go on, go on, get in his boot...blast your horn...pull out, pull out, don't let the cheeky b**** overtake...trap him in the inside lane....."*

OC

Comment

Oh, shock HORROR!

I am just following up the children of Helen/Elender Nisbet, who married John Dawson.

One of their daughters was Elender (consistent, again, everywhere), born 1834. She had SEVEN illegitimate children and they all have different fathers.

The Smeakins died of shame!

OC

Comment

I keep meaning to go back to one name that is in the tree Mrs G is (sort of) doing. There is an illitimate birth and the baptism shows the father as "Ralph the gardener", i keep meaning to go through the census for the village looking for this Ralph chap, the mother went on to have two more kids but she never got anywhere near a marriage.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Glen

LOL! At least mine knew their full names!

OC

Comment

Oooh, I may have a bit of a lead!

I have been trawling disconsolately through Ancestry trees and found Isabella and Margaret on someone's tree, with parents John Nisbet and Helen SINCLAIR.

Now, it doesn't look remotely like Sinclair to me, but maybe the tree holder knows something? I have messaged her, fingers crossed.

EDIT - no, stand down, team, I have just worked out who the tree holder is.....(not me, by the way)

*shoots self*

OC
                              Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 13-07-08, 01:18.

Comment

OC - I hope the shot wasn't fatal and that you are still with us today!
                                Elizabeth
                                Research Interests:
                                England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                                Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Flesh wound only. I'm still here. I can't even shoot myself properly.

However, I have developed a theory overnight. Tell me is this is plausible or not.

John Nisbet and Helen Smeakin cannot read or write. But when they get married, they either get a certificate (is that likely, around 1796?) or someone gives them a family bible, in which the giver has carefully, but inaccurately, written their names.

Helen Smeakin spends her last years living with her daughter Isabella Forbes and of course, the family bible is with her. Isabella informs of her mothers death in 1855 and gets someone to copy the details of her mother's parents out of the bible. They can't wreite either, but they make a stab at copying it and take it to the Registrar, who can't make head or tail of it, but writes what he thinks it says.

They take the bit of copy paper home. Next to die is Margaret. Her daughter in law is informant, and she takes the bit of paper with her. Next to die - Elender, and Isabella's son is the informant.

Last to die is Isabella Forbes and her grandson is informant. He lived with Isabella from birth, so out comes the bible, or the bit of paper, yet again.

S in cla ir
                                  S in alc ir
                                  S m (e)a kin

What do you think? Has my head wound caused permanent damage?

OC

Comment

Oh, now this is DEFINITELY a breakthrough!

I have just received an email from a total stranger, who has gone to the trouble of looking through the Presbyterian records in the Berwick area, and has come up with Smeakam and Smeakum in the mid 1700s (Helen was born 1770).

This lovely lady cannot find Thomas Smeakins, but has found a James and Euphemia, who might be worth a follow-up. The name degrades to Smeetham, Smitham, Smith, etc, but my informant says she thinks this owes more to illiteracy than real spelling!

Off to dig a bit...

OC

Comment

Euphemia is a good old Scottish name. OH has several in her tree. The most recent was known as "Famie".
                                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Yes, I am wondering if there was a previous Scottish connection, rather than the Nisbets just deciding to up sticks and move to Nigg on a whim.

OC

Comment

OC

Just had the latest Borders FHS magazine and there is an article/request for contact from a chap researching the Jeffrey/Smeaton families.

One noted spelling he has come across is Smyttan.
                                          There is an e-mail and postal addy in the article if you are interested.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                                          X