No announcement yet.

Is this their sister?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is tricky.... I have had a bit of a google and if it was 1870s I would expect there to be more layering in the dress and for it to come out more (not very technical language there but dresses aren't my strong point! lol). However, it really does look older than my gg granny in 1890.

Come on don and Barbara, where are you? ;)

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

All of these photos were found in the back of my mums wardrobe after she died. None of us had seen them. I showed then to an aunt and uncle who only recognised grandad and his brother.

Grandad died in 1934 after commiting suicide and was hardly talked about. That's why i think they are his family. I reckon my mum snaffled these pics after granny died. Her elder sister had already taken all of the others and her daughter has now lost them

Comment

i would say the first lady is the same as the last ,brenda xxx

Comment

Hi, the 2nd Boer war, which is the one everybody remembers was 1899 to 1902, so we can say the soldier is 1902/3, the lady with the small puffy sleeves on her dress should be just before, as those sleeves were fashionable about 1897. The lady with the hairdo looks like she is wearing a style using both false and real hair. This was very fashionable in the Edwardian era, I'd have to check up a bit to be comfy about giving a date for her dress, but she looks pre 1910, probably a bit earlier. Hope this helps.....

Comment

Thanks Barbara

What about the older lady in #5?

Comment

Photo 5...........whoops, sorry! I think the photo is from the same time period, 1900 to 1910, have hummed and haad as to wether it's the lady with the puffed sleeves.

Comment

Here's a quick enlarged/reversed black and white version of lady 2

Her ears don't have those larger (floppy) lobes ... so I think she's a different woman.

Her ears are more like grandad's (pic 1)

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 19-06-08, 12:53.
                ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Also .... have been looking at their philtrums (groovy arrangement from nose to top lip)

I think hers is fairly straight, whereas the other young lady has a more indented one

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Had another look at no5, she could be a teeny weeny bit earlier, 1895ish ....

Comment

I think no5 is the mum of the lady with the puffed sleeves.

Comment

thank you all

Comment

Originally posted by Just Barbara View Post
                          I think no5 is the mum of the lady with the puffed sleeves.
                          Well if thats the case and they were taken at about the same time, they who is the one with the big hairdo if they are not the same young woman?

She only had one daughter that survived childhood

I've had these pics for 21 years and I'm still confused.

Comment

The thing is, don't you think that the 4th and 5th pictures have different ears?

Comment

but the baggy bits on the ears could be from wearing heavy earings?

I really think the young full length photo of the woman is older than one I have of gg granny taken in 1890.....

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Tom View Post
                                but the baggy bits on the ears could be from wearing heavy earings?
                                Hi Tom ... they seem to be different shapes
                                Here's the other one reversed etc. ....
                                Can't see any piercings

Comment

Lets see if they will appear side by side

Comment

I think no 5 looks older ... there are annoying blobs on the pic but she does seem to have the hint of a crows foot under her eye

Comment

No. 5 is definitely older Rachel.

Seeing those 2 side by side, oh heck I don't know

Comment

Rachel

Can you do 4 (the full length younger woman) and 5 side by side and facing the same way at all?

Sorry, but I haven't a clue how to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
                                          Rachel

Can you do 4 (the full length younger woman) and 5 side by side and facing the same way at all?

Sorry, but I haven't a clue how to do this.
                                          Do you mean just their heads ?

Comment

Working...
                                          X