Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, that's interesting. The child may have been living with another relative, though.

This is their marriage:

Marriages Mar 1908
    POLLARD Helen Rochdale 8e 114
    POLLARD John James Rochdale 8e 114
    SHORE Clara Rochdale 8e 114
    TOWERS William Henry Rochdale 8e 114

Possible a double wedding with his sister.

Thre are lots of Shore and Pollard births in Rochdale, unfortunately.

This one might be worth a look:

Births Sep 1906

Shore John Rochdale 8e 82

Comment

• Just got the John Hopkins cert back today.... no good.
      Married couple... and wrong date.

The quest continues!
      Last edited by castanea1985; 21-07-08, 18:10. Reason: corrected

Comment

• Oh, what a pity. Do you mean John Hopkins?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
          Oh, what a pity. Do you mean John Hopkins?
          Oops..... yes, will correct...... thanks for highlighting that for me, Mary

Comment

• What's his place of birth on the census form? It's too small to read.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
              What's his place of birth on the census form? It's too small to read.
              Manchester, England

Which ties in with the declaration.

Comment

• Just to keep everyone up to date with this thread:

We had a Y chromosome DNA test done, which didn't match the Howarths, but did come up with a match to 3 generations to a man in Canada.
                We worked it out to my grandfathers grandfather and it was to a James Orchard Manchip 1846 - 1915 - a coppersmith originally from Bridgewater, Somerset, who lived in London, then moved up to Edinburgh.
                He had quite a few sons, who were in the armed services, which could have been in the Manchester area in early 1906.

So I think we can assume the story about an army officer is correct (well, maybe not quite officer ranking;))
                So now its finding a mother, who we always thought was Irish, as John Nolan, wanted to keep the name NOLAN in the family.

We still think there must be a connection to Rachel's family - why else would he have been kept in the family, and passed from mother, then from brother to sister??
                So we are now looking for grandfather's mother - a NOLAN with a link to the Howarths or Holts?

Tracy

Comment

• Well, its been 2 years since you all helped me find the Howarth family.
                  We've looked at the censuses to see if we can find any 'Nolan's', Howarth's, Holts links but we just keep coming up with blanks.
                  I just wondered if anyone knew where we could go from here??

Tracy x

Comment

• Hi Tracy,

Can't help, but have been fascinated reading through the whole of your thread

Was particularly interested by the "left on the doorstep" tale. I was brought up in a small village where everyone knew everyone else's business, lol, and I remember my grandmother telling me about a bachelor, Sid T*** E****, who lived with his "aunts." According to Granny, the aunts (surnamed E****) were really his older half-sisters - his mother was Miss T***.

Miss T had had a child (fathered by Mr E, much older than her) and when the baby was only a few days old, he had been put in a washing basket and placed ot the front doorstep of the E household. Someone had knocked on the door and then left - Mrs E had opened the door, picked up the basket & child, taken them into the house and the child remained in the E family for the rest of his life.

I remember him and the confusion about his surnames.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

• Thank you for a very interesting evenings read.... Its been gripping. I'm just sad its had to stop without finding who the Mother is or possible could be.

Have you made any contact with the ancestor's of James Orchard Manchip.

Comment

• Just updating my thread.. by researching my grandfather, and being on this site, I had the pleasure of finding some of the descendants of Rachel Shore, nee Howarth, nee Holt, and had 4 years of knowing a 'cousin' who has recently passed away. Although, I'll still be trying to find my grandfathers real parents, I can honestly say it was a pleasure knowing this special person, and I know she's up there trying to find answers for us! xx
                        I have started to look at the Shore side of the family now… but still have a nagging doubt as the Nolan name was so important for my grandfather…
                        Any new ideas to people who are new to my story would be great! It might just be a stone I've missed… and not turned over..

Comment

• Just a quick update:
                          Am still trying to find the NOLAN link for my family and know that if was so important that my grandfather gave it to all his children.
                          We know that there was a Nolan brother born somewhere between 1906 and 1918, when my grandfather was taken back with his mother.
                          So i've found two Nolan male births born to single mothers in this period. A Frederick in Sept Q 1914 in Manchester and a Stanley b. June Q 1914 in Salford.
                          Even though his mother never registered John's birth in Oct 1906 I'm hoping she did register the brothers.

Comment

• Originally posted by castanea1985 View Post
                            Just a quick update:
                            Am still trying to find the NOLAN link for my family and know that if was so important that my grandfather gave it to all his children.
                            We know that there was a Nolan brother born somewhere between 1906 and 1918, when my grandfather was taken back with his mother.
                            So i've found two Nolan male births born to single mothers in this period. A Frederick in Sept Q 1914 in Manchester and a Stanley b. June Q 1914 in Salford.
                            Even though his mother never registered John's birth in Oct 1906 I'm hoping she did register the brothers.
                            Do you know what school your grandfather attended? Many school registers are coming on line now so that might give a clue.

From those births certs what name and address is given for the mother. Have you looked for any of them in the 1939 Register?

You could look at electoral registers for the time of the births of these 'brothers' to see who else was in the household. Local libraries to the address have these registers.

Margaret

Comment

• Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                              Do you know what school your grandfather attended? Many school registers are coming on line now so that might give a clue.

From those births certs what name and address is given for the mother. Have you looked for any of them in the 1939 Register?

You could look at electoral registers for the time of the births of these 'brothers' to see who else was in the household. Local libraries to the address have these registers.

Margaret
                              Hi Margaret,
                              I don't know for sure which school he attended, but he lived at 8 Albert Royds Street in Rochdale as a young child, then moved around the corner with Samuel and Gerty. The adopted family's children went to the local primary school on Albert Royds Street. Where do I find registers of that school and others in the area?

Comment

• I imagine you could look at the local council website and see if they have an archive section, if not maybe the local Records Office.

Margaret

Comment

• I'm just bumping up this thread in case anyone wants to read the research done so far!

OC

Comment

• Nothing to add, but I've just read all through and like Margaret I was wondering about school logs.

Was anything found that might help?

Comment

• I was reading through too, then realised there is a new thread with a summary :
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

• Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                        I was reading through too, then realised there is a new thread with a summary :
                                        https://www.familytreeforum.com/show...Swain-Hopkins)
                                        That's why we normally don't bump threads. I will close this one.
                                        Caroline
                                        Caroline's Family History Pages
                                        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
                                        X