X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas?

Hi

My grandfather was born in October 1906. As far as I can tell, his birth was never registered. He was left on the doorstep of a family who later adopted him (although this was still before legal adoptions and I have no record of this).

His mother came back to bring him home when he was 12/13 yrs so he could work and bring money. Apparently he went with her to find he had a brother! He left and went back to his adoptive family.

Without a birth certificate and no name for his mother, I can't seem to get anywhere, finding out whether he had any living relatives.

Has anyone got any suggestions??
    Thanks

Tracy
    Last edited by castanea1985; 14-06-08, 23:04.

Hi Tracy

Welcome to FTF.

I wonder if your query would be better on the Research Board as it isn't really an adoption matter.

Is your grandfather still alive? Did he use his adoptive name?

Would you like me to ask a Mod to move your query to the Research Board, where more people will see it?

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
      Hi Tracy

Welcome to FTF.

I wonder if your query would be better on the Research Board as it isn't really an adoption matter.

Is your grandfather still alive? Did he use his adoptive name?

Would you like me to ask a Mod to move your query to the Research Board, where more people will see it?

OC
      Hi OC,

Sorry about posting in the wrong section! Wasn't really sure where it should be
      My grandfather died in the late 1950's before I was born, and yes he did use his adoptive surname.

Any help would be greatly received!

Tracy

Comment

Did he fight in WW2? If so, I wonder who was named as next of kin on his service record?

Did he get an old-age pension? He would presumably have had to produce some kind of documents to prove his age.

Comment

Hi Tracy, Welcome to Family tree Forum!

Your quest sounds very tricky, but if your grandfather is dec'd (we don't allow postings giving details of living people on FTF, without their consent) and if you would like to, then post all the details you do have and there's always a chance someone will think of something (don't hold your breath though!! lol)

Maybe it would be best if you posted up a new thread, rather than taking over this one?!!

Comment

Name of your grandfather would help! Did he keep his original name? When and where was he born?
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
              Did he fight in WW2? If so, I wonder who was named as next of kin on his service record?

Did he get an old-age pension? He would presumably have had to produce some kind of documents to prove his age.
              Hi Mary,
              I have an Education Board document (schedule II) - a Statutory Declaration of Parent 44 & 45 Vict.. c 41, s. 68 (Haven't got a clue what it is????)

It states;

I hereby solemnly declare that John Nolan, otherwise John Nolan Swain was born on the 14th October 1906 in Manchester.
              And i make the above declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of the Statutory Declaration Act 1835
              Declared before me at Rochdale, county borough Rochdale, this 24th October 1918, signed by the justice of the peace
              Signed by Arthur Henry Swain (my grandfather's adoptive parent)

So it gives his date of birth, but I still can't find any trace of him in the BMD's.

Tracy

Comment

It's tempting to assume that Nolan was his mother's surname.

Comment

Sounds as though his mother's surname would be Nolan, doesn't it? But of course there must be loads of Nolans about.
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

And it looks to me as though his birth wasn't registered, and that would be the reason for the statutory declaration - otherwise they could just have produced his birth certificate, don't you think?
                    KiteRunner

Comment

"in Manchester"

I know this isn't exactly right, but

John Joseph Nolan
                      Year of Registration: 1906
                      Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
                      District: Oldham
                      County: Greater Manchester, Lancashire
                      Volume: 8d
                      Page: 585

Comment

I suppose you could try ordering a likely cert, quoting birth date as a checking option.

Comment

Are you certain about it saying 44 & 45 Vict. c41? Because when I searched for that on Google, all it found was the Conveyancing and Law of Property Act! Any legal experts around??
                          KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                            "in Manchester"

I know this isn't exactly right, but

John Joseph Nolan
                            Year of Registration: 1906
                            Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
                            District: Oldham
                            County: Greater Manchester, Lancashire
                            Volume: 8d
                            Page: 585
                            Hi,

I actually sent for that certificate at the start of my search, but unfortunately it wasn't the right one!

The general Register office did a search for me, but returned my check saying that their findings were without success.

The full story (as told by my aunt), was:

John Nolan was born 14th October 1906 in Salford (according to my aunt)
                            His mother was an Irish Singer (don't have her name, but assume she was called Nolan), and she had a 'fling' with an English Lieutenant in the army, who was posted to (N?) Ireland. He left her pregnant and went to India.

She went to Manchester ? Salford ? not sure when or exactly where.
                            After he was born, she left John Nolan on a doorstep of Sarah Ellen Swain's mother.
                            Sarah Ellen and her husband Arthur lived at 23 Roch Street, Rochdale, (Arthur was a grocer's assistant and Sarah was a winder in a cotton mill)
                            For the first 4 years of his life he lived with Sarah Ellen's mother (Gertie Ashworth) and husband Samuel. They were poor and John Nolan slept in a drawer!
                            At 12/13 yrs his mother came back for him - presumably she wanted him to work and earn money for her - he then found out he had a brother (no name or birthday) - but he didn't stay and went back to the Swain's.

I would love to try and find out wether his brother had/ has family?

Thanks for any help

Tracy x
                            Last edited by castanea1985; 21-06-08, 20:54.

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                              Are you certain about it saying 44 & 45 Vict. c41? Because when I searched for that on Google, all it found was the Conveyancing and Law of Property Act! Any legal experts around??
                              Yes, at the top right corner it says : Board of Education then underneath Form 123a.
                              Then in the centre the top line says Schedule II
                              The next line says; Statutory Declaration by Parent, 44 & 45 Vict., c. 41, s. 68

What is this form?

Tracy x

Comment

Lots of poorer babies slept in drawers! They were safe and warm. And cheap!

I think this is a toughie. You don't even know the brother's name or if he was registered either.

Comment

In 1918 the school leaving age was raised from 12 to 14, so perhaps a declaration about his age was required in lieu of proof from a birth cert?

Comment

Originally posted by castanea1985 View Post
                                    Hi,

I actually sent for that certificate at the start of my search, but unfortunately it wasn't the right one!

What was it that made you think it wasn't the right one?

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                                      Lots of poorer babies slept in drawers! They were safe and warm. And cheap!

I think this is a toughie. You don't even know the brother's name or if he was registered either.
                                      No am afraid not. I've been tearing my hair out with it for years!!!!!!!

I'm waiting for the 1911 cencus to come out to see if I can find two NOLAN's living somewhere in Manchester/ Salford areas.. I'm assuming his mother kept his brother, as he was with her when he was 12/13. In 1911, John would have been 3/4, so I'm hoping there might be some trace of his mother and possibly a brother?!
                                      Would there be any chance of tracing the army regiment that was in Ireland/ then left of India? If John's father was a Lieutenant, it might give me a few names?
                                      I have also been to Manchester's library to see if i could find a 'singer', but again its like a needle in a haystack!

Tracy x

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                        What was it that made you think it wasn't the right one?
                                        That john nolan had two parents and family all born in Manchester area!
                                        We know that our John nolan's mother was Irish and presumably there wouldn't be a father.

Tracy

Comment

Working...
                                        X