Here we go - 1891

RG12; Piece: 3339; Folio 63; Page 36

Samuel Richard and Sarah Ellen are siblngs
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Oh, what about this one:

RG12 3335 139 22

Sarah Ashworth H W 41 (name alternative is Howarth)
      Emily Ashworth dau 15
      John Howarth father 78

And this family is surrounded by neighbours called Woolfenden...wasn't that significant somewhere?!

Well, I think that puts Emily in the running for mummy!

OC

Comment

This is interesting... Good luck with it!!
        I’m no genealogist …
        Until this year I spelled it “GeneOlogist!"
        ;)

Comment

Ooh, well done Zoe and OC.

Comment

Oh dear, in 1881, there are TWO Sarah Ashworths, same age, both with a daughter Emily also same age!

One Sarah is married, the other isn't!

The married Sarah was a Howarth before she married James Ashworth.

OC

Comment

Thanks for all your help. Gosh and so quick!!

Any more ideas would be great.

Thanks again.

Comment

So Sarah Ellen's mum was Rachel Howarth, and Samuel and Gertie Howarth were her brother and sister-in-law.
                Last edited by Mary from Italy; 15-06-08, 01:30.

Comment

Tracey, can you check with your aunt what Gertie's surname was? And maybe her approximate age?

Have you got a birth certificate for Sarah Ellen?
                  Last edited by Mary from Italy; 15-06-08, 01:30.

Comment

Oh, gosh, I hope this is just a MASSIVE coincidence:

Gertrude Wall
                    to Henry J SWAIN
                    1906 Liverpool RO.

(Hey, why do these fascinating searches only come up after midnight?!)

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                      So Sarah Ellen's mum was Rachel Howarth, and Samuel and Gertie Howarth were her brother and sister-in-law.
                      Mary

I think you're right, my notes about all this were taken over the phone (my aunt lives in US) and were taken about 6/7 years ago, so are a bit sketchy. I think that Samuel and Gertie could have been the brother and sister in law. If I remember rightly he was left on the grandma's doorstep first (so Sarah and Samuel's parents), then went to Samuel and Gertie, then ended up with Arthur and Sarah, as they were in a better position financially!

So the theory about the indiscretion, doesn't really add up with Arthur Swain... could the father have been Sarah's father? Maybe?

Presumably the mother must have been called Nolan though?

Tracy x

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                        (Hey, why do these fascinating searches only come up after midnight?!)

I was just thinking the same thing I should have been in bed hours ago..

And those Lancs censuses are awful to search - wherever you look you're up to your ears in Haworths, Howarths, Ashworths and the ubiquitous Holdens.

That Wall-Swain marriage is interesting.
                        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 15-06-08, 01:47.

Comment

Tracey

Mother not NECESSARILY called Nolan - Nolan might have been the father's name. Good Irish name for a lieutenant!

OC

Comment

Tracey

Mother not NECESSARILY called Nolan - Nolan might have been the father's name. Good Irish name for a lieutenant!

OC
                            But as he was called John Nolan - would that not 'quash' the theory about a Swain being the father?

And the other bit that I can't understand is her coming back for John. My aunt told me that he remembers her coming back for him and seeing a brother! Surely this would quash the theory about one of the Swain / Howarth ladies being the mother??

Tracy
                            Last edited by castanea1985; 15-06-08, 01:59.

Comment

I did have a look at female Nolans in Rochdale in the 1901 census; only one was born in Ireland, but she was living with her husband, and far too old to be John's mother.

Comment

Tracy

I'm working on another theory now, lol.

Presumably we can rule Gertrude out as the mother, as she was around all the time John was growing up.

But what if Henry J Swain was the father?

It just seems an incredible coincidence that TWO Gertrude Walls marry significantly linked names in this family.

Also, the fact that John was passed round the family like a parcel makes me think that he had some blood connection with this family, otherwise they would have just dumped him in the workhouse, surely.

OC

Comment

Nope, incredible as it seems, it WAS just a coincidence.

A Harry Swain died in 1915. Gertrude Swain remarried the same year in Liverpool, so that lets her out of it I think.

OC

Comment

But as we have two marriages for a Gertrude Wall in consecutive years, and Henry J Swain didn't die in between them, presumably there were two Gertrude Walls?

Comment

Nope, incredible as it seems, it WAS just a coincidence.

A Harry Swain died in 1915. Gertrude Swain remarried the same year in Liverpool, so that lets her out of it I think.

Yes, I thought it seemed a bit unlikely.

Comment

I did wonder if John might be Gertrude's son, but there's no birth of a John Wall registered in Rochdale in 1906.

There is a John Henry Wall born in 1906 in West Derby, where Gertrude and Henry Swain were married, but I think that must be just a coincidence.

Comment

Samuel and Gertrude had at least 3/4 children, who may still be alive, so I won't post their names here.

Might be worth trying to find any living descendants of theirs, to see if they know anything.

Comment

Working...
                                          X