• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

done it YES thanks a lot Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
      done it YES thanks a lot Margaret
      Have you attached them to the adoptive parents as well?

Comment

yes I have thanks have copied and pasted what you said for next time

Comment

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and I wonder if you can help me. My grandmoder's father died and when her mother (my ggmother) re-married, his new husband adopted my gmother so her surname was changed from Schmitzerle to Ehrlich. And then they emigrated to America. Part of the idea of building my family tree is to post it somewhere like Ancestry and hope to find some long lost relatives. How should I handle this, since she officially had the second surname Ehrlich, but want to find original relatives with the Schmitzerle surname.
          Of course we would like to make contact with people from both last names.
          How should I handle this in Legacy.
          Thanks for the help...
          MR
          Researching:
          Cantu, Chapa, Leal, in Mexico. Schroeder, Schröder, Ehrlich, Schnapp, Kubeczka, Schmeizerle in Germany and Central Europe, Czeck Republik... perhaps someone lost in USA.

Using:
          Legacy Family Tree and The Master Genealogyst

Comment

Originally posted by Mosha View Post
            Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and I wonder if you can help me. My grandmoder's father died and when her mother (my ggmother) re-married, his new husband adopted my gmother so her surname was changed from Schmitzerle to Ehrlich. And then they emigrated to America. Part of the idea of building my family tree is to post it somewhere like Ancestry and hope to find some long lost relatives. How should I handle this, since she officially had the second surname Ehrlich, but want to find original relatives with the Schmitzerle surname.
            Of course we would like to make contact with people from both last names.
            How should I handle this in Legacy.
            Thanks for the help...
            MR
            You could put Schmitzerle as a middle name if you wanted to, although I would be tempted to put her (and any siblings she had) on twice. Once with Ehrlich as the surname, and once as Schmitzerle. You can still have them attatched to the correct parents but in effect it will look as though the couple had twice as many children as they did. Hope this helps,
            Tom

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Tom View Post
              You could put Schmitzerle as a middle name if you wanted to, although I would be tempted to put her (and any siblings she had) on twice. Once with Ehrlich as the surname, and once as Schmitzerle. You can still have them attatched to the correct parents but in effect it will look as though the couple had twice as many children as they did. Hope this helps,
              Tom
              Thanks for your help Tom Tom. I wouldn't put Schmitzerle as a middle name because here in Mexico and most spanish speaking countries I think, we don´t use surnames as middle names. We use both surnames dad's first and mom's second, and women when we get married we change the mother's surname for the husband's surname for example: Maria Schroeder (dad) Cantu (mother)... Maria Schroeder Cantu.

And if I were married it would go like Maria Schroeder de Garza (husband surname with the "de" word in between). I mention this as a tip so that if there is anyone trying to find relatives in latin countries don´t get mixed up or confused.

The idea of putting her and her siblings twice is a very good one. I´ll try it and see if it works for me.
              Thanks for your time and kindness.
              MR
              Researching:
              Cantu, Chapa, Leal, in Mexico. Schroeder, Schröder, Ehrlich, Schnapp, Kubeczka, Schmeizerle in Germany and Central Europe, Czeck Republik... perhaps someone lost in USA.

Using:

Comment

Hello Mosha

I know you also use FTM and you can put the adopted family and birth family on one tree but i wonder if that will make the tree on Ancestry look confusing.

Another option would be to have two separate trees, one for each surname stored on your software programme and then post them both on Ancestry, (you can have several trees on Ancestry at the same time). That might make it easier for anyone viewing the tree and also make it easier for you if someone contacts you.

Another way is to put everything on the one tree but anyone viewing it on Ancestry would have to select the first or second husband linked to your great grandmother.

Perhaps it might be better to add a tree to Ancestry using one method and if it doesn't look right you can delete it and try again with a different method?
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

My great grandfather was illegitimate, father unknown, and his mother went on to marry someone else. He didn't appear to live with his mother and her new family and was either with relatives or lodging whilst working. The only time I found him with his step family was in 1901 when he appeared on the census under his step fathers surname and his mother had died. I had great fun trying to find him on that census! On FTM2005 I have his mother with 2 spouses - 1 unknown with gg as son and then her husband as the other spouse with all their children. Is this the best way to do it or should i try to change it so that he is shown as a step child. If so how would I move/change him ? Strange thing is he didn't have his mothers surname but used her middle name as his surname which was her mothers maiden name.
                  Lesley passed away in November 2017.

Comment

Lesley

I would leave things as they are, if you have the father recorded as unknown and that reflects correctly the situation as you know it then your tree displays all the relationships correctly. When displayed as a tree the paternal line will stop with the unknown father, should you later find the name needed you can simply add that into the file without any fuss, if you went down the route of adding him to his stepfather and later had to edit the tree because you found his fathers' name it is a bit more involved.

You could add something to the notes to explain the name variant and any subsequent details that arise from the marriage.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Thanks Glen I'll leave it as it is then. Theres not much chance of ever finding out who his father was. He was a brickwall for a long time because his surname was different to his mothers. I actually found a contact on rootsweb who was researching his mothers line and he was able to solve my mystery.
                      Lesley passed away in November 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                        Hello Mosha

I know you also use FTM and you can put the adopted family and birth family on one tree but i wonder if that will make the tree on Ancestry look confusing.

Another option would be to have two separate trees, one for each surname stored on your software programme and then post them both on Ancestry, (you can have several trees on Ancestry at the same time). That might make it easier for anyone viewing the tree and also make it easier for you if someone contacts you.

Another way is to put everything on the one tree but anyone viewing it on Ancestry would have to select the first or second husband linked to your great grandmother.

Perhaps it might be better to add a tree to Ancestry using one method and if it doesn't look right you can delete it and try again with a different method?
                        Dear Glen, You know... great suggestion, you are right I can upload more than one family tree to Ancestry (if there is another good website to upload my tree so more people can have access to it besides Ancestry please tell me) so I will do it.

Thank you all for your help and feedback.
                        MR
                        Researching:

Using:

Comment

Mosha

You can upload your gedcom file to this site. It isn't displayed as a tree but people can search the database for a match.

Click on the Gedcom tab on the navigation bar at the top.

Comment

Mosha
                            Tribal Pages is good. In effect, you create your own website and upload your tree to it. You can set a password so no-one can see your tree without permission or you can allow anyone to see it. You can also include photos. And it is free.
                            Take a look at mine, the password is queensland.
                            A TribalPages.com Family Tree genealogy website researching Cree, Ford, Owen, Connolly, Smith, Atkin, Duffy, Gleaves, Fowler, Timperley and other surnames.
                            Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Mosha

Tribal pages is a good suggestion, Genes Reunited is also worth thinking about, you would need to register two memberships, one for each tree.

Although Genes have two types of membership the free membership allows you to have a tree online. The names in your tree are added to their database and people can search by name, if someone thinks they have a match and sends a message you can reply and allow them access to view your tree.

It puts your tree on another site and increases the chances of finding someone researching the same names.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Wonderful feedback guys... thanks sooo much for your help. I will follow all of your advices.
                                Great appreciation
                                Mosha
                                Researching:

Using:

Comment

Working...
                                X