New Australian immigration records online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Australian immigration records online

Well, not sure how how much is actually new, because a lot of the information was already available for free on the NSW State Records site.

New South Wales, Australia, Assisted Immigrant Passenger Lists, 1828-1896
    New South Wales, Australia, Unassisted Immigrant Passenger Lists, 1826-1922

Genealogy, Family Trees and Family History Records online - Ancestry.com.au

Seems to be a bit more, or it's just better organised.

A lot of interstate travel. My Ariels like to travel and they are there flitting backwards and forwards.

A few Inmans too, Mary, but I haven't had time to have a good look yet.

Comment

I've already had a look but there don't seem to be any of my Inmans.

Two went to Queensland, and I have them from another list. Some went to WA, so they won't be on these lists.

I have found one of my Chandlers (Andrew), who's listed under two names for some reason. I already had most of the others, but there are about 4 still missing.

Comment

I'd just spotted it on Ancestry too. There are definitely some of mine on there.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Just as an indication of the quality of transcription, "Port of Departure: Busbane"!

The first person I'm looking up appears as H B Bristoe, H B Briston, and H B Bristow (so far). So, typical kind of ancestry transcriptions really.
          KiteRunner

Comment

But, there are some mistranscriptions on the NSW Mariners and Ships site too - for instance, I've found him on there as H W Bristow and F B Bristow, so it's worth searching both sites.
            Last edited by KiteRunner; 04-06-08, 10:43.
            KiteRunner

Comment

Tony Robinson was on the radio giving this the hard sell this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                Tony Robinson was on the radio giving this the hard sell this morning.
                He was on XFM in London too - a station devote dto indie music and alternative rock!!

Very weird choice for ancestry in my opinion.

The presenter had him singing the theme tune to his old kids programme Maid Marian And Her Merry Men. And telling stories of falling drunkenly into the holes dug on Time Team.
                Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

is this only for World/Australian subs?

The link took me to the Australian site and asked me to login
                  Zoe in London

Comment

darn it - there's 3 Linksons on there and I can't find out anything more that their initials
                    Zoe in London

Comment

What did you need, Zoe??

Comment

There's quite a few Linksons on the electoral rolls as well.

Comment

I transcribe for the Ozmariners lists, and we are asked to transcribe the names exactly as the master wrote it. I have noticed that some crew members are on the same ship for several voyages, but are sometimes spelled differently, sometimes by the same master/captain. Some of them are VERY hard to read. I hope the search facility on ancestry is better than the Ozmariners, because I find that very difficult to use and find anyone at all. I loved the French ship I did, and the German one, such interesting names. Many of the captains just wrote Mr and Mrs and 4 children for their passengers, so no hope of finding any more details there.

Diane
                          Diane
                          Sydney Australia
                          Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

If you are on Ancestry.co.uk & go to 'Whats New" they say:

'The Australian Free Settler Collection is now available on Ancestry.co.uk
                            For the first time ever, you can now search 8.9 million names of those arriving into New South Wales in two, easy to use, online databases:

NSW Unassisted Immigrant Passenger Lists, 1826-1922
                            NSW Assisted Immigrant Passenger Lists, 1828-1896'

However, I cannot access the Unassisted list unless I upgrade!

I am peeved :(
                            Bridget

Comment

Bridget...you have to have the Heritage sub to access it.

When they first put the Electoral rolls on the site, a couple of friends took out subs, and the following week, Ancestry took them off and made you ugrade to the Heritage sub.

I don't know what is on the Ancestry.co.uk site. Is it just UK records?

Comment

Libby I can access the convicts etc. from the UK site, but what peeves me is their statement:
                                'The Australian Free Settler Collection is now available on Ancestry.co.uk'
                                they do not say 'but we need more ££££££££££s first!'
                                Bridget

Comment

I switched from the normal UK sub to the UK heritage sub so I could access the Australian records. The UK heritage is slightly cheaper, and I wondered why. I now find I can't access Irish records on Ancestry.

Comment

Originally posted by BridgetM View Post
                                    Libby I can access the convicts etc. from the UK site, but what peeves me is their statement:
                                    'The Australian Free Settler Collection is now available on Ancestry.co.uk'
                                    That's extremely misleading. You can certainly access the basic records from there, but you can't see the full record without a UK heritage or World sub.

Comment

I don't have access to the Australian site. i'd be very grateful if somebody could tell me if anybody with the surname Bluett or Blewitt is listed around 1841 - in particular Thomas, Mary, Adam or William.
                                      Paul Barton, Special Agent

Hear my themetune on http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/dickbarton.wav

Comment

You can actually search the records without a subscription to see if one of your names is mentioned; you just can't view the full record.

This is the only one I can see, but it doesn't help you much:

Name / Estimated Birth Year / Port of Arrival / Voyage Arrival Date / Vessel Name

Mr. Blewitt / - / Port Jackson, New South Wales / 26 Dec 1841 / Lady Leigh

Port of departure: Port Richolson (no idea if that's mistranscribed, because there are no images)

Have you looked at the immigration indexes here?

State Records NSW - Indexes to Assisted Immigrants

Comment

Working...
                                        X