LDS Family History Centres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LDS Family History Centres

I'm thinking of paying my first visit to my local Family History Centre in September when my smallest child starts proper school. I know I'll have to make a visit to order the films I would like and, before I get too carried away with my list, I was wondering how many I can order at a time?

I don't think there's any restriction on the number, but don't order many, because it takes hours to go through them.

If your centre's like mine here in Italy, they order the microfilms from Germany, and it can take a couple of months for them to arrive.

In theory they keep them for a couple of months for you, but I've had some since last year and they haven't asked for any extra payment (although I've offered).

Comment

Georgette

Well, you can order as many as you are prepared to pay for, but personally I'd advise you to order only two at a time, unless you are only wanting to check one thing per film!

I usually find that it takes me about three months to wade through a film because I like to extract anything that may be of the slightest use in the future. I can't do more than two hours at a stretch as I start to feel seasick, and I can only visit the centre once a week.

Sometimes films arrive quickly - within a week or so, and sometimes they take six months (depends who else wants them) so if you ordered ten films, you could find them all arriving at the same time!

OC

Comment

It also depends on the size of the FHC and what equipment they have.

Last one I went to you couldn't copy anything as the printer was broken so had to take notes instead - so be very organised and keep it altogether or you'll wonder which film or whatever you got it from.

When I went you ordered a film and depending on whether it was out at another centre it could be there in a couple of weeks or several months depending on its popularity and you got it for a month unless you paid extra. Yes I agree about it being time consuming.

You also had to book a slot and machine to view and if a busy centre it was sometimes difficult to get a day to suit. Mine was only open a few times a week - sometimes mornings, sometimes evenings so you'll have to find out when its open to the public. Also some days were better from the help point of view - one day a lovely couple were in charge but knew nothing of genealogy - other days a really experienced and helpful lady was in charge. Also you may get some really good help from the regulars who go every week.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Mary, I was wondering how long they took to arrive, it might be worth me going in the next couple of weeks to find out how long they will take and ordering some ready for September then. My problem is that the centre is not actually that close, but I've hit so many dead ends that I'm desperate to get a look at some parish registers

OC, good point about noting down every occurrence of the name just in case it comes in handy later on. It's going to take me years to get even half way down the list I started this afternoon from their catalogue :o :D

Comment

Thanks for that JBee - it definitely looks like a fact finding trip is in order then before the summer holidays. I'm getting quite excited now :D

Comment

Erm....little less excited now. I went to check the address of my nearest centre and noticed that it says it's only open by appointment and that I have to order films from this site:

Service FamilySearch de commande de microfilms - Home Page

I had a look and each film is 8E50 *gulp*. Fortunately there's a phone number for the centre so I think I'll give them a ring tomorrow to find out what I have to do.

Comment

If it is only open by appointment, then there might not be anyone there to answer the phone!
                8E50 is quite steep - I pay £2.70 per film.

OC

Comment

That's expensive - I pay €1 per film.

Comment

The distribution centre where the films were kept which I ordered was in Coventry I think. Don't know if there are other distribution centres in the UK.
                    They also kept some local records in the FHC which was handy for people researching local history. I did find someone researching the same area in scotland so we shared the films when they came in.

We were also allowed to have a look in the drawers to see if anyone had ordered in any films/fiche which we could peek at (if the person who ordered them didn't mind or wasn't there at the time!!)

Perhaps its the cost of postage that's bumped up the price.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                      If it is only open by appointment, then there might not be anyone there to answer the phone!
                      8E50 is quite steep - I pay £2.70 per film.

OC
                      Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                      That's expensive - I pay €1 per film.
                      *turns unfetching shade of green* :( :D

Comment

Working...
                      X