X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry recent maintenance & updates

Just had a look on this link: What's New - Ancestry.co.uk

Complete BMD Update
    As part of our ongoing maintenance project, we have added approximately 1,024 images and an estimated 153,600 names that were previously missing, to the Marriage Index in this collection
    British Army WW1 Medal Rolls Index Cards (1914-1922)
    As promised we have been working hard to complete this collection for you and have added an additional 2,743,804 new names to our existing records, giving us approximately 4.8 million out of the estimated 5.5 million names within the entire collection. There will also be one more update in the very near future that will complete this collection entirely.

These records are the most complete listing of individuals who fought in the British Army in WWI, containing approximately 90% of soldiers’ names. The Index Cards were created by the Army Medal Office (AMO) in Droitwich in order to keep details about a soldier’s medal entitlement in one place.
    1851 Census England & Wales
    We are pleased to announce that significant maintenance work has been successfully carried out on this collection including the rescanning and rekeying of missing data as well as corrections to existing data. An estimated 9000 missing records have been added, 10,501 relationships corrected, 5,503 genders, 561 forenames and 444 surnames have all been corrected
    British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920
    This collection contains the surviving service records on non-commissioned officers and other ranks that served in WWI and did not re-enlist in the Army prior to WWII. We have updated the records with an estimated 550,000 additional names to the existing estimated 427,000 which now completes the coverage of surnames in the range of A-H.
    Also updates to:
    • Slave Registers of former British Colonial Dependencies, 1812-1834
    • Free BMD Update
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Which just goes to show that you should keep checking back! :(
    Elaine

Comment

I was intrigued to see the types and quantities of corrections to which they admit for the 1851 census transcriptions!

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I reckon I submitted 443 of those surname corrections, lol!

Never mind fiddling about with all that - why can I not view any images? I manage about two, then it freezes.

Is it their subtle way of telling me they don't want me to submit any more corrections?

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
          I reckon I submitted 443 of those surname corrections, lol!
          Don't be greedy, OC. I've submitted at least 30 in the last month. :D
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

A bit disappointing that Ancestry's FreeBMD doesn't seem to collect Postems from FreeBMD. A Postem is the only way to record an error in the GRO index.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Christine
              Thanks for that update.

OC
              Yes, I feel most of the people I've found need their index amending! As for images - I have this problem occasionally. I close the window and then start again and its oK, but don't know why it happens. There was a thread here saying it only does it with IE and not with Firefox.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
              X